Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you feel the PC gaming and phone gaming will over take handheld and console gaming?
Yes 11 27.50%
No 29 72.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 05:08 PM

1,544 posts, read 924,123 times

Advertisements

Phone games are merely for a quick fix or a time killer. PC games on the other hand...

Console games aren't going anywhere. If that weren't the case, I would've hocked my SNES ages ago.

I don't think handheld games are dying out any time soon. Just be sure to keep that thing charged (or stocked with batteries if you still have a Game Boy or GB Advance like myself ).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2016, 08:28 PM

17,297 posts, read 12,228,591 times
The Turbo Expess was the best handheld. It played the same games as the main turbo Grafx 16 console.

Old 05-15-2016, 08:16 AM

1,156 posts, read 1,967,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
I think the future of gaming is streaming from the cloud. Requirements of an actual console won't be anything beyond a controller, a cheap graphics card that can display the stream, and a good network adapter. So you could be playing a serious AAA hardcore title on something like a tablet with a controller plugged in as all of the computing and rendering is offloaded.

Ubisoft CEO: Only One Console Generation Left, Future is Streaming

As for retro I still have and love my Intellivision and Odyssey II.

I think Square Enix is already doing this to an extent, or they were a couple of years ago. You could go to the website and it would stream games into your browser. They also had it paired up with a program that gave people a free hour of gaming per day on games like Tomb Raider or one of the Hitman games. The second part of that I think was a flop, when I checked it out there was supposed to be a way to earn extra time on it each day by watching ads, but it didn't appear to be working.

Old 05-15-2016, 04:07 PM

30,246 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
I heard some people say that the Iphone and Android will take over the 3DS and PS Vita.

Do you think this is true?

And what about the XBox 360 and PS3 and Wii U?

I own a SNES and Nintendo 3DS. I like the games, and can't see myself playing any other system other than computer gaming.

So are more people playing handhelds and consoles or are more people playing on their phones and their computers?
Not for real gamers they won't. For casual Candy Crush Saga or Pogo gamers, yeah, they'll play on their phones, but no legit gamer who is worth their level would ever state that a phone could possibly replace a console or PC when it comes to gaming.

And by the way, I laugh, hysterically, to those who announce that "PC gaming is all but extinct". You could not be further from the truth. It is quite the opposite....PC gaming is gaining in popularity for many, many reasons. Console gaming won't go anywhere, and as someone who grew up on console gaming, I know the attitude, so let me fill you in on a little secret: You really need to stop feeling so threatened by PC gaming. I've moved over to PC gaming, and I get WAY more games, I spend WAY less money, and I don't have to listen to a bunch of 9 year olds cuss me out on TeamSpeak. PC gaming is just getting started.

Old 05-16-2016, 09:23 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,271,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Not for real gamers they won't. For casual Candy Crush Saga or Pogo gamers, yeah, they'll play on their phones, but no legit gamer who is worth their level would ever state that a phone could possibly replace a console or PC when it comes to gaming.
Oh the no true Scotsman fallacy.

Sure it can, if the phone is being streamed the audio and video of a game running on a server, and the server is receiving control input from the phone.

I've played games while using a laptop, on road trips, with my phone being used as a bridge to the internet, and using terminal server to my desktop. Same principle, but without the terminal server, or the need for a display on the server, and you have an online gaming service that permits you to run games over network, it's like NetFlix, but with a controller. If I'd wanted to I could have just used the phone to play the game.

Now clearly on todays networks, you can't play twitch games, but twitch games aren't the deep and meaningful people have with slower paced but deeper storied ARPGs/RPG's.

Further gaming is about money, if CCS has a higher rate of return than say Skyrim, which one will be around in 10 years time? While I think videogames are a form of art as much as an interactive experience, even more common and less controversial forms of art need to pay the bills, and development teams that cost $10M per month need to provide a big payout for the cost, if a small team of 10 guys can put out a game for $2M, and generate $50M in revenue, that's a lot of revenue for small outlay (29:1) something like Skyrim or FO4 that costs $100M+ needs to recoup $2.9B to achieve the same cost/revenue ratio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
And by the way, I laugh, hysterically, to those who announce that "PC gaming is all but extinct". You could not be further from the truth. It is quite the opposite....PC gaming is gaining in popularity for many, many reasons. Console gaming won't go anywhere, and as someone who grew up on console gaming, I know the attitude, so let me fill you in on a little secret: You really need to stop feeling so threatened by PC gaming. I've moved over to PC gaming, and I get WAY more games, I spend WAY less money, and I don't have to listen to a bunch of 9 year olds cuss me out on TeamSpeak. PC gaming is just getting started.
PC gaming is only as good as the install base of the PC, how's that looking? If it's shrinking or stagnant, then it's only a matter of time. People like phones, tablets, and laptops, but while phones and tablets can be more limited than laptops, much of what can only be done natively on a laptop can be done remotely on a phone or tablet. Worldwide PC shipments are falling, and have been for a couple of years
Gartner Says Worldwide PC Shipments Declined 8.3 Percent in Fourth Quarter of 2015 for 2015 the total shipments was down by 8.3% from 2014, and the 5th consecutive quarter of falling shipments. Conversely phone's and tablets are still a growing market. If I were a game company, would I focus on a market that is clearly shrinking, or one that is growing?

Think of it this way, last year on Steam Rocket League generated $30M in sales (and that doesn't include other PC distribution channels, Xbox One, or PS4), the game cost $2M to develop, CD Projekt Red's Witcher 3 cost $81M to develop, on Steam it generated $38M in revenue. Further which one can with a little porting could be moved to iOS, or Android, Rocket League, or Witcher 3? Well UE3 already runs on iOS and Android, whereas REDEngine3 only on Windows (and XB1 is Windows with some tweaks) Linux, and PS4.

That's not to say that PC gaming is dead, but there are significant signs of a transition towards different gaming experiences than we're used to. How that transitions will be interesting to watch for sure, but in 10 years if we have the same kinds of games with the same kinds of development cycles and costs, I think that the videogaming industry will be in serious trouble.

Old 05-18-2016, 05:40 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,759,131 times
Yeah but 8.3 percent of what though? A ridiculously huge number. Nothing has the market penetration like the PC. But even still who cares because a large number of them are just plain old boxes used to do the most mundane if tasks at offices and schools. If many of those are getting replaced by laptops or tablets or whatever so what.

Real PC gamers and PC gaming machines were already a small subset of that huhe number and arent in the conversation of "worldwide global sales".

I enjoy both PC and console games and find these arguments rather trite. Consoles come in waves...they rise and fall and have strong and weak cycles. PC has been there the whole time. I dont see either going away anytime soon but it is weird how console gamers always think PCs are going away or dieing off. If you were into it you would easily see that isn't the case.

Old 05-18-2016, 04:02 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,271,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Yeah but 8.3 percent of what though? A ridiculously huge number. Nothing has the market penetration like the PC. But even still who cares because a large number of them are just plain old boxes used to do the most mundane if tasks at offices and schools. If many of those are getting replaced by laptops or tablets or whatever so what.
Doesn't matter if the market is shrinking, someone with a home machine that runs games even if it's a Dell is a possible customer, someone without that Dell isn't. Hardcore PC gamers are Hardcore PC gamers, and represent a tiny part of the market. If you marketed solely to them and only they bought a copy of any game, then every AAA title would be the last game for the studio.

Quote:
Real PC gamers and PC gaming machines were already a small subset of that huhe number and arent in the conversation of "worldwide global sales".
Correct, but they're so small a percentage as to make the games being produced completely reliant on other than that market, except for low production cost games of the CCS, and Rocket League type. Fallout 4 can only turn a profit because it's multiplatform

Quote:
I enjoy both PC and console games and find these arguments rather trite. Consoles come in waves...they rise and fall and have strong and weak cycles. PC has been there the whole time. I dont see either going away anytime soon but it is weird how console gamers always think PCs are going away or dieing off. If you were into it you would easily see that isn't the case.
I think you're looking at transformation of the market as death, it may be that PC gaming in the next decade finally does end, or it may be that you're solely using your PC as a terminal. Why do you care that a game is running on hardware you own? If you can play the game any time any where with high resolution graphics and an intuitive control scheme. Let's be honest, if a game is run remotely on a server, streaming video to you that you interact with exactly the same as you really do on a PC, you have a far larger market to sell that game to, than games that need $1000+ boxes, because you can market to people with iOS, Android, Windows Phone, PC, Xbox One, PS4, Roku, some internet enabled TV's.

I mean it's only a little over 15 years ago that people were saying DVD rentals would never end, and now where are any? However can you still watch tv shows, movies, etc. without that DVD rental place? Sure. Do you consider the death of the DVD rental store a bad thing, because I don't.

Old 05-19-2016, 12:14 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,759,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
I think you're looking at transformation of the market as death, it may be that PC gaming in the next decade finally does end, or it may be that you're solely using your PC as a terminal. Why do you care that a game is running on hardware you own?

I'm not and I don't. I've said the same thing somewhere else. One day it will all be streaming, but until then the PC market drives it because once consoles get old, it is the PCs that have the horsepower to drive the next gen of games until they are ported over.

Old 05-19-2016, 02:46 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
This thread is from 2011!
I think the poll was answered - console gaming is still here, and still going strong.

I do think streaming will be the wave of the future however.

Old 06-03-2016, 02:01 PM

51 posts, read 30,955 times
I voted yes, but then I realized PC gaming has some other issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games