Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 09:27 PM

410 posts, read 1,492,457 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My fiance' wants a PS3 but I don't have a clue in what size to get (memory, features, etc.). I saw there are some bundle packages on Amazon but not sure what I should be looking for.

I'm trying to spend no more than $350. (I know that won't buy alot....Maybe one game? I'm okay with that)......I know he likes fighting, war, and car chasing games. I think one of the games I've seen him play is called Socom (sp?) and Scarface. He has a PS2 but it's almost time to bury it. It seems to be breaking down and not working apparently.

Can you give me any advice in where to look and what I should be looking for? I'm sorry if I'm not giving enough details but I'm not sure what to say....LOL

And please in layman's terms. I really don't know too much about game consoles....

Any help is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 06:20 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,547,283 times
As far as features, newer ones are all the same. Only differenece is the hard drive size. Amazon has a 320 GB one right now bundled with Uncharted 3, which is one of the most popular games for the console.

Amazon.com: PS3 320GB Uncharted 3 Bundle: Playstation 3: Video Games

Right now, I think that is a pretty good deal.

You said he likes car chasing games but you might want to find out if he likes arcade racers or simulators because there is a big difference between the two. A good example of an arcade racer is Burnout: Revenge or Need for Speed and a sim is Grand Turismo.

If he liked Burnout Revenge he would likely love Burnout Paradise for Playstation 3, which is like $20. My two cents is that Amazon has the best deals for games.

Old 12-15-2011, 07:14 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,652,406 times
They cost what they cost. In otherwords it probably doesent matter where you go, they will cost roughly the same unless you find some sort of christmas deal or something.

Costco/samsclub sell bundles(games and stuff with it) so you can save about 50 bucks. But the bundles are not something you really have a say over. They may have a few options as far as the game bundles but otherwise you have to buy the games seperately. Id say if he is into socom(awesome game by the way) buy him battlefield 3(assuming he will be playing on the internet) or just buy him the system and a gift certificate or something.

Just something i found while googling

http://askville.amazon.com/Wheres-pl...uestId=7490268

Old 12-15-2011, 02:01 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,147,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
As far as features, newer ones are all the same. Only differenece is the hard drive size. Amazon has a 320 GB one right now bundled with Uncharted 3, which is one of the most popular games for the console.

Amazon.com: PS3 320GB Uncharted 3 Bundle: Playstation 3: Video Games

Right now, I think that is a pretty good deal.

You said he likes car chasing games but you might want to find out if he likes arcade racers or simulators because there is a big difference between the two. A good example of an arcade racer is Burnout: Revenge or Need for Speed and a sim is Grand Turismo.

If he liked Burnout Revenge he would likely love Burnout Paradise for Playstation 3, which is like $20. My two cents is that Amazon has the best deals for games.
Another thing to look at is the regular 320GB PS3. Amazon has a special right now where, if you buy the regular 320GB, they give you a $50 promotional code... which you could make a cute card out of and give it to your fiance with the PS3 to allow him the ability to get a game of his choosing.

Old 12-15-2011, 05:20 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,593,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
Another thing to look at is the regular 320GB PS3. Amazon has a special right now where, if you buy the regular 320GB, they give you a $50 promotional code... which you could make a cute card out of and give it to your fiance with the PS3 to allow him the ability to get a game of his choosing.
I'm not finding it. Link please?

Never mind. Big duh here.

http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-3-...3994733&sr=1-3

It's in the box down and right of the title, price area.

Old 12-15-2011, 06:21 PM

410 posts, read 1,492,457 times
Thanks everyone for the advice. What about the PS3 that come swith the move bundle for $349. Should I get that? Is that fun?

Old 12-15-2011, 09:07 PM

11,120 posts, read 10,672,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Happy 2 View Post
Thanks everyone for the advice. What about the PS3 that come swith the move bundle for $349. Should I get that? Is that fun?
They had one set up at Best Buy with a golfing game on it when I was in there today. It was fun, but not sure if it was that fun...

Old 12-16-2011, 07:55 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,593,875 times
Quote:
Does he go out on the dance floor with you? Is he the kind of guy that will get up off the couch, or does he prefer sitting and watching TV?

Old 12-16-2011, 08:00 AM

2,532 posts, read 3,441,021 times
Here is another option for a deal...
Kmart. This week's deal. Must sign up for Shop Your Rewards card (completely free) and use it during purchase.
- 160GB PS3 for $249.99 with $50 coupon (it prints on receipt) that can be used on any game starting 12/18/11 through 1/28/12

To answer your questions...
- Both Playstation 3 models in retail stores will be more than enough memory for just gaming and watching dvd/blu-rays. If he plans to dump loads of music and digital movie purchases than 320 will need to be the direction you go. I have been a PS3 owner since practically the start (i.e. years ago) and I haven't even got anywhere close to my old system's memory count (i.e. 60GB). My new PS is a 160GB model. It was cheaper and like I said memory for gaming and watching dvd/blu-rays is plenty.
- As for games...
---Call of Duty is what everyone plays. It is a war game where you play in the eyes of a character i.e. First Person. The latest one is called Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3. It is $50 at Target this week.
---Battlefield 3 is another war title that people play. The difference between above and this is that you can use vehicles like Tanks/Jets/etc so it gives more of a battle atmosphere. It is $50 at Target this week.
---Uncharted series (there are 3 games) is an action/adventure game. My brother only plays Call of Duty and Tiger Woods but this game captured him. You can currently get a combo pack of the first 2 games for 29.99 (normal retail price). I would start there. You direct the character as you solve puzzles to try and track down Francis Drakes history/gold. People try to stop you in journey i.e. firefights. In my opinion, this is the best the system offers.

So you are aware, the Socom for PS3 didn't do so well so not sure how the online community is still going on it.

Old 12-16-2011, 10:26 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,547,283 times
Quote:
Move is somewhat like the Nintendo Wii. You can watch lots of videos on YouTube of people using it to see if you think he would like it or not.

They do have a lot of dancing games for the Move so maybe you would like to get it so you could play with him. Of course, that depends on whether he would play dancing games or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games