Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 11:31 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times

Advertisements

I have no problem with the new Xbox not being able to play the older games. I rarely play most old games anyway and the ones I would want to play, I'll play them on the older 360 that I can still hook up to the TV.

New in technology is always better. ALWAYS!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 12:32 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,934,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
I have no problem with the new Xbox not being able to play the older games. I rarely play most old games anyway and the ones I would want to play, I'll play them on the older 360 that I can still hook up to the TV.

New in technology is always better. ALWAYS!!

Bro,
It's not OLD games, it won't play USED games! Meaning that If I don't buy the game brand new in the wrapper, it will not play-

I can't even borrow your copy, get one from game fly, redbox, gamestop, ebay, etc- If the game is not new, it will not play-

Tell me that's not pure greed

Old 02-18-2012, 02:07 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,275,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool rob View Post
Bro,
It's not OLD games, it won't play USED games! Meaning that If I don't buy the game brand new in the wrapper, it will not play-
If the rumor turns out to be accurate, then there would be some form of protection that would need some form of fulfillment, to play the game, if new the protection is automatically removed, if used, then the protection would need to be fulfilled by whatever means they provide (if any)

Quote:
I can't even borrow your copy, get one from game fly, redbox, gamestop, ebay, etc- If the game is not new, it will not play-
Not necessarily, since no details have been released that this is even in development, we have no idea as to how the implementation would work.

Quote:
Would you like a little cheese with that whine?

Old 02-20-2012, 07:37 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,044,020 times
Quote:
Bro,
I see no issue with this.

Quote:
Okay.

It's not pure greed.

Old 02-20-2012, 04:00 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,640,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasy Tokoro View Post
I see no issue with this.
I do and it has nothing to do with trading games or buying used games. I too don't like buying someone elses junk and I'm quitting on trading games because I end up regretting doing so 2 months later.

If I miss out on a game and it's no longer available, then what? Digital is shortsighted solution. The spaces in hard drives aren't unlimited.

Publishers/Developers don't gain more money because people just won't buy the game altogether if it doesn't appeal to them.

Instead of trying to get guarenteed money from consumers, the most logical idea is to give the consumer a reason to keep the game that doesn't involve $10 map packs or a locked mode. That's where used copies come from.

If a game is good enough, then people will buy it and keep it. They made their money off the initial copy. If sales are lacking, developers need to see where they did wrong and quit blaming everything else for their shortcoming.

Old 02-20-2012, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
If I miss out on a game and it's no longer available, then what? Digital is shortsighted solution. The spaces in hard drives aren't unlimited.
No Hard drive capacity isn't unlimited, so you delete the actual game, retain the saves, and then when you want to play it again, download it again. Steam has been doing this forever, so where's the issue?

I'll also add that in 2005 when the current generation started the average hard drive size was about 100Gb or so (and my original 360 came with a 20Gb HDD), currently the only real computing devices I own with under 1Tb of storage are my Xbox360, PS3, and cell phone (yes even my Laptop has a 1Tb 2.5" drive). A regular SATA 3.5" 1Tb is $100 or less.

A 1Tb drive could store roughly 20.5 double layer Blu-Ray disks, or 41 single layer. FFXIII-2 has a PS3 game size of 37.6Gb so you could store 27 instances of it and still have 8.8Gb of storage for save files.

Old 02-20-2012, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
No Hard drive capacity isn't unlimited, so you delete the actual game, retain the saves, and then when you want to play it again, download it again. Steam has been doing this forever, so where's the issue?

I'll also add that in 2005 when the current generation started the average hard drive size was about 100Gb or so (and my original 360 came with a 20Gb HDD), currently the only real computing devices I own with under 1Tb of storage are my Xbox360, PS3, and cell phone (yes even my Laptop has a 1Tb 2.5" drive). A regular SATA 3.5" 1Tb is $100 or less.

A 1Tb drive could store roughly 20.5 double layer Blu-Ray disks, or 41 single layer. FFXIII-2 has a PS3 game size of 37.6Gb so you could store 27 instances of it and still have 8.8Gb of storage for save files.
Ok- now answer me this, do you think that TB of memory for an xbox will be generic from the dump den @ radio shack, or only the one that Microsoft licenses that will work, which will be expensive and or riddled with tech issues (kind of like the first 360), and brand new in the wrapper? That is a lot of consumer dependency aka monopoly- It works for the brand, but it is beyond unfair for the gamer-

Why should big business win and the little guy lose, when the little guy actually keeps big business going?

Old 02-20-2012, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Ok- now answer me this, do you think that TB of memory for an xbox will be generic from the dump den @ radio shack, or only the one that Microsoft licenses that will work, which will be expensive and or riddled with tech issues (kind of like the first 360), and brand new in the wrapper? That is a lot of consumer dependency aka monopoly- It works for the brand, but it is beyond unfair for the gamer-
Not relevant, the question was how can you have digital download, with a fixed capacity drive, my point stands. You could play a digital download, then delete it, and it would still be available for you to download again when you want to replay it (just like Steam, where my first game I bought through it, HL2, is still available). Right now on my Xbox hard drive I've got Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2 (both disks), KoA:Reckoning, SR:TT, SR2 and DLC from many games since 2005 for Oblivion, Fallout 3, various map packs etc. etc., about 20 live arcade games, two full gamer profiles, several game saves and game updates from each of 186 titles and I'm running at about 60% used on a 120Gb drive.

How is it beyond unfair to the gamer? Specifically what is unfair?

Old 02-21-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Not relevant, the question was how can you have digital download, with a fixed capacity drive, my point stands. You could play a digital download, then delete it, and it would still be available for you to download again when you want to replay it (just like Steam, where my first game I bought through it, HL2, is still available). Right now on my Xbox hard drive I've got Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2 (both disks), KoA:Reckoning, SR:TT, SR2 and DLC from many games since 2005 for Oblivion, Fallout 3, various map packs etc. etc., about 20 live arcade games, two full gamer profiles, several game saves and game updates from each of 186 titles and I'm running at about 60% used on a 120Gb drive.

How is it beyond unfair to the gamer? Specifically what is unfair?
It is relevant,

And it is unfair-

As it makes me dependent on Microsoft for hardware. They are already making it so I am dependent on them for my only source of software (brand new MSRP, etc) , now I have no choice but too buy their extra over priced hardware, and the only way I can enjoy my purchase is if I do it YOUR (microsoft) way. By buying the initial XBOX I have pledged to trust your system, and so as a result I am further indebted to microsoft to continue to purchase their stuff? You mean the $400 bucks I spend on your proudct is still not good enough?

Currently I have many options, they are narrowing the market to make themselves the sole source of the product, smart business model I guess, until the consumer wisens up to the scam-

This is the reason why pirating is so ramapant, no flexibility and limiting the choices of your core market. Imagine if you bought a honda, and you could only go to one honda dealership in the country to get your honda serviced. Reason being, Honda was tired of jiffy lube stealing customers who wanted a cheaper oil change and better customer service. This of course has nothing to do with you, and you as the consumer enjoy the fact that you can go to Wal-Mart @ your lunch break and get a quick lube job.

However the big business model that Honda is forcing you to adhere too, means you have to wait @ the only Honda dealership in town, wait, wait, and wait some more just to get an overpriced oil change, that may even be of lower quality then the one Jiffy Lube/Wal-Mart/personal mechanic/hell, even yourself would do. The idea of that sucks right, and doesn't it seem unfair to you?

Old 02-21-2012, 11:01 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,044,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
A ridiculous complaint.

If space runs out, you clear up space.

That's easy.

Good thing about digital is that you don't have to repay to download what you've already bought.

Quote:
If sales are lacking, developers need to see where they did wrong and quit blaming everything else for their shortcoming.
You wanna know where the PSP went wrong?

It wasn't because of lack of games, or any fault of the developers.

It was due to piracy, which, more or less, is about the same effect as used game sales.

The fact that the PSP was easily hacked and games easily pirated and put on there led to less sales.

Lack of sales aren't always the fault of the developer. To claim such is shortsighted at best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games