U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 05:34 AM

1,215 posts, read 1,201,599 times
Default Video Game Remakes

I still have old PC games that were made obsolete by new versions of MS Windows and/or storage media (ie. 3.5" floppy). There are a few I'd like to have for Windows XP/7 if they were remade.

What video games would you like to see remade for today's technology?

Me?

- Rise and Fall of the Third Reich (based on Avalon Hill's board game of the same name)
- Cossacks: European Wars (re-released on Steam platform but not disk)
- Panzer General (I & II) (Panzer General: Allied Assault avail. for XBox but not as a turn-based like original)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 03:06 PM

6,567 posts, read 8,722,503 times
Oh hell yeah. There are still some old windows 95 and 98 games that I would like to see converted over - Civil War Generals 2 for instance. I think I got that sort of working on XP, but it wasn't easy.

Matrix games converted one of my old strategy game favorites over however - John Tiller's Battleground series for instance. Also, if you like Panzer General, this very same Matrix games has an updated version available called "Panzer Corps", got very good reviews although I haven't tried it myself - turn based hex play. These are niche titles of course - strategy games. So we have to take what we can get.

Other older PC games however, most of the time there are ways to get them working - DOS emulators and so forth, they just take work.

Old 07-03-2012, 12:32 AM

11,123 posts, read 8,864,306 times
Here are some old games I would love to have remade with modern tech:

Transylvania

Silent Service (the old NES game)

(can't remember the title) U-boat? It was on PC in the 90s

The Red Baron

Oni

Ghost in the Shell SAC

Baldur's Gate/Icewind Dale series

Thief (but I hear it's being made!)

Mirror's Edge (not that old, OK.. but I would like to do another one!)

Old 07-03-2012, 07:06 AM

14,636 posts, read 12,703,661 times
To be honest, none. In most cases, remakes fail to capture what made the game special in the first place. Plus, lots of times you are looking at the game through the rose colored glasses of nostalgia and it wasn't all that great to begin with.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:14 AM

2,608 posts, read 2,588,889 times
I really liked the Resident Evil 1 remake on GameCube (PS1 originally) and I liked the Tomb Raider 1 remake on PS2 (PS1 originally). Those were done very very well in my opinion. They not only improved the game with new controls and abilities and graphics to match the current generation of gaming but they added a little more story and extra content which made them awesome.

I've been wanting a Final Fantasy VII remake for a long time and I know half the world wants it as well, but Square-Enix is close to as dumb as a huge corporation can get. Their sales numbers on their recent games reflect it, as well as their extremely huge flop in FFXIV MMO. I don't have any faith in that company to do the remake as well as it deserves even if they were smart enough to do it. It would save their business instantly, but clearly this organization is on a path to mediocrity, or destruction.

I think remaking the older Elder Scrolls games would be cool, but I'm hoping they just expand on Skyrim enough to open up the entire realm of that game instead of just one game = one province.

Old 07-03-2012, 03:34 PM

2,638 posts, read 5,474,201 times
Alpha Centauri.

Old 07-08-2012, 03:35 PM

1,215 posts, read 1,201,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
To be honest, none. In most cases, remakes fail to capture what made the game special in the first place. Plus, lots of times you are looking at the game through the rose colored glasses of nostalgia and it wasn't all that great to begin with.
Hopefully, a remake would be able to resolve coding issues to make them less "buggy". I'm a fan of hex map games (primarily by Avalon Hill) and a PC version would help them to be playable in less than a week or two!

Old 07-08-2012, 03:51 PM

31,865 posts, read 17,122,801 times
I am actually really shocked they haven't done this already? It would make some good buck-a-roos. They need to redo Tomb Raider for new consoles. I loved this game!

Old 07-08-2012, 07:48 PM

4,793 posts, read 7,760,369 times
I'd like a newer "No One Lives Forever" game and a newer Homeworld game too. The "Deadly Dozen" games were good too.

Old 07-09-2012, 03:53 AM

Location: West Los Angeles (in the Hall of the Paleo-Atlantids)
3,306 posts, read 2,651,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Here are some old games I would love to have remade with modern tech:

Transylvania

Silent Service (the old NES game)

(can't remember the title) U-boat? It was on PC in the 90s

The Red Baron

Oni

Ghost in the Shell SAC

Baldur's Gate/Icewind Dale series

Thief (but I hear it's being made!)

Mirror's Edge (not that old, OK.. but I would like to do another one!)
I played Silent Service on a PC in the 80's. The U-boat game you played may have been Silent Hunter II.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games