Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 12:02 PM

249 posts, read 305,973 times

Advertisements

Not a series of game. But just one. That had very much depth of characters. And was really personal and a devotion to something more than just a fantasy land.

Mine has to be FF8. I like how when Rihona is sick and Squall has to carry her. He is basically talking about how he thought his silence gives him strength, etc.

Here is my top five:
1. ff8
2. metal gear solid sons of liberty
3. ff7
4. mgs 4
5. castlevania the one on ps1.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 12:08 PM

To give you an example, something like this. Something when you read it or heard it you could relate and say you've been there.

Quote:
Squall: I... sure have changed. I wonder what everyone's doing...? They're probably laughing at me. Or maybe they're angry...? What do you think? To tell you the truth... I worry too much about what other people think of me. I hate that side of me... That's why I didn't want anyone to get to know me. I wanted to hide that side of myself. I hate it. "Squall is an unfriendly, introverted guy." It made it easy for me when people perceived me that way. That's a secret between you and me. Got that? Rinoa...
Quote:
Rinoa... You feel so cold. Are you going to be like this forever?... Isn't there anything I can do? You were so full of life. Now you don't even make a sound... I want to hear your voice. This is like talking to a wall. Rinoa... Call my name.

Old 10-17-2012, 12:10 PM

Symphony of the Night:

Quote:
Richter Belmont: Die, monster! You don't belong in this world!
Dracula: It is not by my hand that I am once again given flesh. I was brought here by humans who wish to pay me tribute.
Richter Belmont: Tribute? You steal mens' souls and make them your slaves!
Dracula: Perhaps the same could be said of all religions...
Richter Belmont: Your words are as empty as your soul. Mankind ill needs a savior such as you.
Dracula: What is a man?
[tosses goblet, which breaks]
Dracula: A miserable little pile of secrets. But enough talk, HAVE AT YOU!
Quote:
Alucard: 'Twould be best if I were to disappear forever.

Old 10-17-2012, 01:17 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,632,964 times
Ill be honest, I click the button as fast as I can when people are talking or there is a storyline. Never been much for being patient and wanting to read a game, just get to the action.

Old 10-17-2012, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
Ill be honest, I click the button as fast as I can when people are talking or there is a storyline. Never been much for being patient and wanting to read a game, just get to the action.
That's fine. I tend on viewing video games as a form of art. Much like movies can be. Meaning that in video games you get a lot of bleh, it'll make money cause it's nothing but action. But with some there is more of a story. It's what I kinda miss about video games. There use to be something more to it.

Old 10-17-2012, 02:21 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,632,964 times
Most people do actually read the stories. My friends get annoyed when we are playing a game and i try to bypass everything.

Old 10-17-2012, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
Most people do actually read the stories. My friends get annoyed when we are playing a game and i try to bypass everything.
Yeah, but I tend on looking down on games like battlefield and call of duty. The story is not really deep...you know?

Old 10-17-2012, 03:08 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,658,614 times
Are we talking console only? If not I'd have to say Homeworld for the PC. They story was told with mostly narration, still shots or very minimalistic animation and some very moody tribal type music with great beats but it was a very gripping story to be told. You just had to finish each mission to learn what was going to happen next. And then the ending with the main scientist lady who had been the ships computer the whole time insisting on being the last person to disembark was epic to use the vernacular. It would make a great movie trilogy IMO.

Old 10-17-2012, 04:19 PM

1,438 posts, read 773,342 times
I gotta go with Shenmue and Red Dead Redemption. Don't really play RPGs.

Old 10-17-2012, 04:31 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,447,897 times
I don't play RPGs either, so Red Dead Redemption was my choice as well. I liked the characters in Red Dead Redemption and the whole storyline surrounding John Marston and his family was pretty well done. Most of all though I just enjoyed the level of detail in towns and wilderness you could explore. I like the Assassin's Creed series for the historical details as well--which really made the game for me. The plots take a while to expand on--but I think Assasin's Creed 2 was particularly well made in terms of depth.

But I feel even the more emotional storylines in video games just don't draw me at the same level as really good film or novel. I mean games like Red Dead Redemption or GTA IV are basically just classic revenge stories in a lot of ways--though they're slowly adding a little more moral choices into games which is sort of interesting. But it's basically flavoring on top of a sandbox action game in a lot of ways...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games