Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which was/is the BEST era for gaming?
1980s - the 8 bit home computer/consoles 8 13.56%
1990s - the 16 bit/console era 22 37.29%
Late 90s - Today PC era 16 27.12%
The Future - Wii,PS3,etc 13 22.03%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 03:31 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,406,757 times

Advertisements

Ive still got this!

I had a Donkey Kong one too that was similar.

To me PC gaming has always been the best, the only thing that has been bad with PC games is they are now boring console ports.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 10:12 PM

994 posts, read 1,592,320 times
To be honest I think games from the mid 2000s and earlier are all pretty good. Most games now are the same cookie cutter ones; either it's Call of Duty types or it's some MMORPG crap. I'd rather play my older Final Fantasy games than the new stuff of now for the most part.

And I hope they don't make any video games based off this reality TV crap!

Old 12-15-2012, 12:47 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,743,179 times
I find modern games way better, most of the time. But the old Dynamix Red Baron game was more fun than the Ultrarealistic Rise of Flight game, because this game is too hard to play because of it's realism!

Elite was a real great space game around 1990, I think. And MS Flight Combat Simulator is about 10 years old but I had the most flight combat fun in that game.

Old 12-15-2012, 05:33 PM

2,311 posts, read 1,846,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
To me PC gaming has always been the best, the only thing that has been bad with PC games is they are now boring console ports.
There are so many good things about PC games in my opinion. Modding is the first thing that comes to my mind and if you're a cheating cheater the games usually include a console where you can type commands. With console gaming, you're a lot more limited on what you can do but you usually have far easier controls. I have a passion for Football games and only enjoy them on console, the PC versions just don't have the "feel" of realism like the console does.

Old 12-16-2012, 05:43 PM

1,986 posts, read 3,599,712 times
Gaming improved dramatically with online gameplay. The ability to communicate with and play alongside of and against people from around the world. This is the best era of gaming.

Old 12-23-2012, 01:13 AM

2,883 posts, read 5,890,384 times
I love old games.

-I was genuinely excited when my brother got Donkey Kong for free on the 3DS (with the purchase of another game). 80's games were real....very few lives. "Skill" involved. Not many checkpoints or cheats. You can't beat the games in 5 minutes.

Compare new super mario 2 for 3DS and donkey kong (1983) and it's like night and day.

New Super Mario I have 500 lives. There are checkpoints half way through a level. If you die multiple times....you get an invincibility suit at the beginning of a level! It's a fun game, but it's made for a 5th graders intelligence.

Donkey Kong, 3 lives. No cheats. Brutal. The average person doesn't get past level 3 or 4. Made for about a 12th graders intelligence.

-The problem with new games, they are getting so easy.

Games from the late 90's were also just FUN. Goldeneye. Would play that for hours on end. Simple game play. The RUSH franchise, would play that for hours on end. It wasn't overcomplicated.

I think a lot of new games are missing that *FUN*. And they wonder why video games sales are down...

Old 12-23-2012, 03:54 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,834,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23
Compare new super mario 2 for 3DS and donkey kong (1983) and it's like night and day.
There sure is!!!!!

Donkey Kong is MUCH BETTER

Old 12-23-2012, 06:41 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,639,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen1110 View Post
Gaming improved dramatically with online gameplay. The ability to communicate with and play alongside of and against people from around the world. This is the best era of gaming.
At its time, online gaming was pretty cool. I started with Socom II and Madden 2004 on the PS2. I did move to Xbox Live with the Xbox 360. It loses its luster when you have people who do not know how to accept losing and rather learn from their experience, they quit and send you hateful but laughable messages.

Online gaming is no fun when half of the opposing team or your own start dropping out for unknown reasons. I do enjoy the competition when it is available but people need to understand, someone has to lose. If they do not want to be that guy, then people need to stop whining, see what they did wrong and fix it. Half of the fun was failing. I love that feeling of overcoming the plateau.

Old 12-24-2012, 04:44 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,917,113 times
Don't get me wrong. I play more than my fair share of PS 1-3 as well as XBox 1 and 360 (especially the multiplayer XBL/PSN games), but give me an SNES and a Sega Genesis, and I'll be happy all night. Forget about the graphics, at least that generation didn't have DLC, DRM, fanboyism, and a whole host of other crap we have to deal with this generation. The only thing (S)NES/Genesis/N64/PSone were missing was online play.

Old 12-25-2012, 01:52 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,063,476 times
I would choose the era from the mid-90's to the early 2000's, say 1995-2003. This was a time before PC games had been destroyed by consolization. First person shooters arose (Quake, Unreal, Half-Life) and online multiplayer came into existence. It was a time of monumental online multiplayer games like Unreal Tournament, Quake 3, and Counterstrike. We also had some great RPGs in the likes of Baldur's Gate, Planescape: Torment, and Neverwinter Nights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games