U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2013, 09:58 PM

4,791 posts, read 12,938,256 times

Advertisements

There are a rare few games I buy Preorder or at release. I like Sniper games a lot and bought Sniper Elite V2 as a preorder, especially for the Hitler kill mission, but Iím 2 missions away from completing the game but I donít see my Hitler mission or my DLC game mission on the missions list yet. I bought Spec Ops the Line at release because $30 is my max limit price for a new release, same with Max Payne 3. I will buy a new release only if it goes on sale for $30 or less and itís a hot interesting title. Did that with Batman Arkham city [Origin] for $22 yet I only played 4% of the story by now. Then when a year passes by with Arkham city GOTY edition Ė with all the DLCs and it goes on sale for $7.49 I rebuy the game for Steam. But the Origin and Steam savegames arenít the same and the Windows Live accounts handle them separate. It was way cheaper to buy the GOTY edition than buy all the DLCs for the Origin game.

Now I got so many games I bought on sale near release and I hardly played them. Like Dead Island for $20 then I didnít even play it for a year {I only got 25 minutes on it!]. Or Dungeon Siege 3 Ė bought it near release for $20 and today I only have 18 minutes logged on itÖ So thatís REAL PATHETIC! So now I tell myself I wonít buy the latest hot game releases until they get cheap or 1 year old and I will play my old games instead. I havenít even started my Mass Effect 3 Digital Deluxe, which I got for $20. Iíll wait for AC3, Far Cry 3, Company of Heroes 2, Crysis 3, and Dead Space 3 [I havenít even started my DS 1 & 2] to get a year old or maybe when they hit < $25 to get them. I hardly played my Crysis 2 after paying $40 for it, because I hated itís checkpoint save game system. Company of Heroes 1 is great but Iím still in the first campaign and I got 25 hrs into it. I played it for 17 hrs a year ago and then didnít touch it for a year until lately.

I can buy Sniper Ghost Warrior for a cheap $24 now but I still got a lot of unplayed or barely played games. Like I bought Skyrim on sale a year ago for $30 and I have only 7 hrs into it. I hoarded so many new on sale releases and hardly played them, as sometimes I got stuck on them or lost interest.

One recent game that was totally worth it was Euro Truck Simulator 2, bought for $22.95 Gametap. I have logged 137 hrs into it, and it is my most played game. Check out my Level 48 game on it in Youtube:
Level 48 Euro Truck Simulator 2 Gameplay TrackIR 5 - YouTube

Another recent game I bought that Iím playing now is The Testament of Sherlock Holmes Ė 66% off on 2-17-13 Steam for about $13.59. It has great modern graphics and it caught my interest as itís not a common boring FP shooter, which I kinda got bored of because most FP shooters all have similar gameplay.
So how about you? Have you hardly played the many games you hoarded? How do you buy new titles Ė do you wait for them to get old or do you only buy them on a good sale?

As of 2-24-2013 I have 309 Steam gamesÖ How many Steam games do you have? I probably bought 98% of my Steam games when they were on sale. I probably have about 40 non Steam games on my computer too. And lots of games I didnít install yet, maybe 35 of them.

I can wait until Diablo 3 hits $20, and MW3 should be a $20 game by now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 10:01 AM

3,627 posts, read 8,421,657 times
I normally wait and try to rent first. The only games that I buy new (on release) are games that have generally good multiplayers (COD, Halo, Battlefield, GOW, etc). I will buy new copies of other types of games but only after the price drops.

Some games that I picked up last year that were new:

Max Payne $25
Ghost Recon Future Soldier $30
Kingdom of Amalur $20
Mass Effect 3 $20
Forza 4 $20

Old 03-01-2013, 09:48 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,578,927 times
I recently bought AC3 shortly after release... never do it again, the game was buggy enough to appear to me as if it was still in a late beta stage, graphics issues, gameplay issues. From now on, even if it means waiting 8 months after release, i refuse to buy new if it means the game is still buggy as hell.

Old 03-03-2013, 06:27 PM

4,841 posts, read 7,911,530 times
I bought Black Ops 2 on release day...big mistake. Multiplayer was buggy and really laggy, even when browsing the menus. Sold the game out of frustration, only to end up buying it again a month later when I heard it got patched.

I really enjoyed that Euro Truck Simulator video you took, I wanted to become a truck diver in the future.

Old 03-03-2013, 07:14 PM

2,278 posts, read 1,456,677 times
I wait and I wait a long time (year +) before usually buying a game. If the game is on Steam, I'll just add it to my wishlist and keep on checking the games discussion forum and reviews. Lots of bad reviews and I'll never even think of buying the game.

Old 03-04-2013, 07:16 PM

1,516 posts, read 1,774,353 times
If it is an MMO I've been waiting a long time for, I preorder. I love jumping into an MMO when the servers first come online. The only thing I try to avoid now is buying the collectors edition. I have so many big boxes sitting in my shelf with short term MMOs I've played.

Old 03-06-2013, 10:22 AM

3,652 posts, read 3,751,649 times
I haven't bought a game full-price in ages. They drop in price too quickly nowadays and having a 'wee' bit of patience can result in $20 or more savings after a few months. Cheapassgamer.com has all weekly gaming deals for places like Bestbuy/Target/Amazon/Walmart/etc etc.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or