Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 04:10 PM

1,868 posts, read 3,066,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Sony have said no such thing, they have said it's in the hands of the publishers. Sony CANNOT make that decision for the publishers, well they could try, and wind up as a first party only console, and they're not going to burn the CoD franchise, and many others.

Jeez you people forget that Sony isn't anyone's friend, just ask people who were exposed via their illegal install of the Sony BMG rootkit, or the folks who bought in good faith Movie downloads from Sony Pictures through Amazon that were pulled in their entirety preventing those people who owned a copy from accessing their content, or as I constantly mention, their security breach, and subsequent litigation protecting PSN EULA.

Microsoft's story is the same as it ever has been, it's DRM'd and used sales are up to the publisher. Which not surprisingly is the same as Sony's, used sales are decided by the publishers. Microsoft have just said that they are going to provide a mechanism to support the publishers to provide a common method. Which Sony may not need to provide for the PS4, because it was already in the PS3 (oh you didn't know that...)

Here's some more scoop...
E3 2013: DRM-free PS4 is a PR play

So yes publishers have wanted this and if you want to blame someone, blame the used game retailers.
The Forbes story was pretty good but then I read the 2nd link and quite honestly, that one was rubbish. It falls into the "we have a source but we cant say who so you'll just have to trust us" category. I put absolutely zero stock in those types of articles.

Publishers are going to have to look at the marketshare of each console. Even though DRM might make them more money on the XBO, if it only controls 15-20% of the merket (I've seen quite a number of recent polls that suggest that this might happen), they still might end up making less than on Sony's machine.

This generation will be the generation of testing the waters of blocking used games. It will be a real world test to show if it actually works financially or if it is such a PR nightmare, sales actually go down slightly.

I really don't think Sony is going to end up blocking used games out of the gate. People were saying that they were before the February reveal. Then they were saying that because Sony didn't go into too much detail during the reveal, they still might and to wait for E3. Then even now after they flat out said it will not block used games at E3, some people are still saying that they might. Brian Altano and Colin Moriarty of IGN were even poking fun of this in a video saying people need to give it a rest.

I do have to give Microsoft props for one thing though: everyone thought that they wouldn't have any great games to show and they proved us all wrong the other day.

Last edited by Adric; 06-12-2013 at 04:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 04:43 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,518,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudcommando View Post
Online Passes go the way of the Dodo

Man they're really stomping Microsoft's grand jewels right now..
!!!

Old 06-13-2013, 06:22 AM

782 posts, read 1,105,194 times
I have long been an "xbox fanboy", I strongly prefer it to the PS3, and I think the exclusive titles are better for the most part. Given what I have seen this week though XBox is in some deep *expletive* and at this point I intent to buy the PS4 myself.

Old 06-14-2013, 11:50 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,482,188 times

Old 06-23-2013, 09:17 PM

3,949 posts, read 5,085,750 times
The PS4 looks as sexy as Aishwarya Rai, is an incredible value at $399 and isn't some Trojan Horse insidiously designed to invade your entire social structure and then sell your ill-gotten information to the highest bidder like the Xbox One is.

I know what next-gen console I'm getting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games