Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 07:58 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,520,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackscorpion View Post
How can I blame them? Well aren't they the ones making the games? There will be another video game crash at some point if this keeps up, mark my words. And when was the last time there was a decent mega man game? FF was not all put on one system, same for CastleVania and Zelda. It's not so much that there is a sequel, but the fact that there are too many sequels on any one system. For example, COD has mw1,2,and 3 as well as black ops 1 and 2 and ghost is coming out...so 6 games on ONE system? That's just ridiculous.
DUDE I totally agree!! Im so looking at Assassin's Creed, Call of Duty, Madden, God of War.

Series that do it right in my opinion is Mortal Kombat, Castlevania, Punch Out, etc

a generation should never have more than 2 games in a series. All the Assassin Creed games came during the PS3-Wii-360 era that is what 6 or 7 games including the handhelds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 11:52 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,271,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPeach2 View Post
Great post, but the true question is how long do these companies support their products. Yes the PS1 came out in 95, but many people were still playing it in 2001-2002 just like not many people are still playing PS3s & will probably still be on them next year or 2015. I honestly think there needs to be some sort of buy back system with these legacy consoles, especially for the places in the world who dont even get the latest and greatest. Other than ***-Asia, North America, Europe & Austrialia...The industry seems to be heavily absent in Africa & South America this is a great opportunity to recycle those legacy platforms instead of calling them brinks and filling landfills with them.
Well how long do they support their products is tricky to really identify, because what's considered support?

Xbox Live switched off Live of Xbox in May 2010, the Xbox (original black brick) was discontinued in July 2007 so that was three years of online support past it's discontinuation, that's the only example we have of managed online service (I'm ignoring Dreamcast and PS2 since they were not managed by the console manufacturer along the lines of Xbox Live or PSN).

For overlap, well Xbox -> Xbox360 was two years, PS->PS2 was 4 years, PS2->PS3 was six years, N64-> Gamecube was 2 years, Gamecube -> Wii 1 year, Wii->Wii U not known since Wii has not yet been discontinued, but it's pretty varied.

Game wise it's not about the console manufacturer but the game developers. On Xbox the last game was Madden 2009 released August 2008 one year after Xbox was discontinued. PlayStation (including PSOne) was discontinued in 2004 10 years after release, FIFA 2005 was the last real title for it (although MGS: The Essential Collection had a re-issue MGS PS disk in it). Playstation 2 was discontinued Dec 2012, Last game is FFXI: Seekers of Andoulin (apparently some game about a sausage j/k) March 2012 Japan only. Nintendo wise N64 discontinued 2002/2003 (Japan 2002, everywhere else 2003) last game THPS:3 August 2002, Gamecube discontinued 2007 last game Madden 2008 released in 2007. So in general the publishers have abandoned the platform within 12 months or so of the release, and much as we can complain about EA FIFA, and Madden make entries into the last game lists on three consoles.

Recycling sounds like a good idea, and certainly it would be in the Pro column for customer retention, and would be particularly applicable for consoles supporting backwards compatibility. The logistics might be difficult, but could be handled through customer support. So you'd return your original console, for a new console plus MSRP-(refund price of the old console). It's good for consumers since they get a new console at a discount, it's good for the company since they retain a customer, and with Back Compat it's not bad for games either.

Old 05-21-2013, 01:27 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,701,765 times
Quote:
I dont know why you would waste your money on 3 different systems man. That is epc fail in my book. Im a PS3 owner manly because of PSN\Trophies and being familiar with their 1st parties. There are many genres to play and the visuals are still the highest next to PC gaming. I hear you on your frustrations, but with the internet and all the gaming sites out there, maybe you could do more research before making your picks, or only buy older games at the lower prices. Im not really sure what the next gen holds, but PS4 is the only thing I am interested in but way later in the future.
I didn't technically pay for anything, I won the WII, sold it, bought an XBOX, sold that and then I bought a Ps3 from the money from the xbox lol

Old 05-21-2013, 01:31 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,701,765 times
Quote:
DUDE I totally agree!! Im so looking at Assassin's Creed, Call of Duty, Madden, God of War.

Series that do it right in my opinion is Mortal Kombat, Castlevania, Punch Out, etc

a generation should never have more than 2 games in a series. All the Assassin Creed games came during the PS3-Wii-360 era that is what 6 or 7 games including the handhelds.
YES! I like Mortal Kombat, CastleVania and Punch Out, the thing is that they don't saturate the market with useless games. I mean they might make a bad game once in the while, but I don't want to play Mortal Kombat 15 on the same system lol. I liked the idea of Assassin's Creed, but why does the town look so dull and grey?

On another note, I don't care how much it costs...i want backwards compatibility dang it!!

Old 05-21-2013, 02:05 PM

Quote:
I liked the idea of Assassin's Creed, but why does the town look so dull and grey?
Because at the time of AC (3rd Crusade) much of the Middle East was dull sandy and grey. AC2 is less grey (Rennaisance) as are Brotherhood and Revelations, ACIII is more grey (at least in the cities) again because that's because of historical accuracy. However in all of the games there were flashes of color in clothing. If however they had made the game with huge bangs of bright colors there would be as many detractors saying "but historically, they were not that color", you can't keep all the people happy all of the time.

If you've ever been to the historic areas of Jerusalem, Accra, Florence, Venice, Rome, Boston, New York you'll see what I'm talking about, or indeed any city that has buildings or areas that date back before 1900.

Quote:
On another note, I don't care how much it costs...i want backwards compatibility dang it!!
I agree, and new both systems seem to want to support it, however it would be nice to see how they're supporting it, Xbox One is hinting at Digital Download, which is fine as long as I don't need to pay again for a game I own (I can't see that they can easily provide a general emulation layer), PS4 would have to do the same (entirely different architecture) and again it's ok as long as I don't need to pay again. How they're implemented is still up in the air, do they read the disk and download and only allow play when the disk is in the drive, use prior gamer score/achievements or trophies to permit download, or buy an Xbox360/PS3 original again...

Old 05-21-2013, 02:08 PM

Quote:
I didn't technically pay for anything, I won the WII, sold it, bought an XBOX, sold that and then I bought a Ps3 from the money from the xbox lol
Well then I shrug my shoulders....

3 consoles is too many systems....hell I though kids who had both the Genesis and Super NES back in middle school were doing too much lol, and Im not fan of Nintendo so...

Old 05-21-2013, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Because at the time of AC (3rd Crusade) much of the Middle East was dull sandy and grey. AC2 is less grey (Rennaisance) as are Brotherhood and Revelations, ACIII is more grey (at least in the cities) again because that's because of historical accuracy. However in all of the games there were flashes of color in clothing. If however they had made the game with huge bangs of bright colors there would be as many detractors saying "but historically, they were not that color", you can't keep all the people happy all of the time.

If you've ever been to the historic areas of Jerusalem, Accra, Florence, Venice, Rome, Boston, New York you'll see what I'm talking about, or indeed any city that has buildings or areas that date back before 1900.

I agree, and new both systems seem to want to support it, however it would be nice to see how they're supporting it, Xbox One is hinting at Digital Download, which is fine as long as I don't need to pay again for a game I own (I can't see that they can easily provide a general emulation layer), PS4 would have to do the same (entirely different architecture) and again it's ok as long as I don't need to pay again. How they're implemented is still up in the air, do they read the disk and download and only allow play when the disk is in the drive, use prior gamer score/achievements or trophies to permit download, or buy an Xbox360/PS3 original again...
What about the Cloud?? It seems to be in the works with Sony and Microsoft. I would not mind having cloud access to the files I already downloaded from my PSN account.

Old 05-21-2013, 02:35 PM

Quote:
What about the Cloud?? It seems to be in the works with Sony and Microsoft. I would not mind having cloud access to the files I already downloaded from my PSN account.
Ok here's a scenario...

You've just bought Console Alpha that's backwards compatible with Console Zeta via "the cloud"

You go home fire it up and log in as normal.

You browse through available titles on the cloud, and select lets say AC (we just discussed it), it's on the BC list, and you select it to play it...

Now what?

That's Ubisofts IP, do you get it for free? Not unless Ubi are happy letting you have it.

So there are a few ways you can get it.
1) You can put your AC disk in the console reads what the game is and permits download and play if the disk is in the drive
2) Your trophy collection/gamerscore and achievements permit you to play it again since you've already played it
3) You get a please enter your credit card details box.

2 is risky since you may not have owned the game, or you sold it and don't own it now.
1 is more complex than it appears you're identifying the specific title (and DLC attached to the account) and permitting the user to play, but it's a non-trivial problem space, how do you differentiate from say the collectors editions and the general edition?
3 is likely unacceptable to most owners of current gen games, why pay twice for the same game?

Ultimately the "cloud" is just a name given to a storage and execution network that's accessed via your device, your specific portal will be Xbox Live, or PSN, the specific implementations behind those should be transparent to the user, even with today's networking speeds you're not going to get fast enough data transfer up and down to allow your console to act as a terminal for a game rendering on remote hardware with user interaction, well that's not strictly true, but not in the consumer global market.

Old 05-21-2013, 03:23 PM

2,802 posts, read 3,188,178 times
Quote:
I am soooo DONE with videogames after this generation! I've been playing videogames for many years ever since I was 4, and the games have always been enjoyable and fun...until now. I've had a WII, Xbox and a PS3 and in my opinion, they were ALL horrible! The WII is good for only children and small children at that. The XBOX has the red ring of death and it freezes at times when we are watching netflix and stuff...and the PS3..yeah...this was my last ditch effort to actually play some good games seeing as how I had the PS1 and 2. Talk about a epic f'ing fail.

The PS3 games are SEVERELY lacking to me. The games that are on the system are not that great and before you even say anything, the XBOX's weren't either. On the PS3, you have games like Bioshock, Infamous, Uncharted, and none of those games interest me. I am tired of buying a game and it's either 1. a sequel, (I mean seriously, how many GTA, Silent Hills, Metal Gear Solids, FFs and Street Fighters do we need?) or 2. Its a decent game, but it is repetitive and you are doing the SAME thing over and over again! Call of duty seems to come to mind on this one. I hate repetitive games, not only is it boring, but it's the same stuff..geez reminds me of working at a fast food place..

All I gotta say, is this time around, spend your dollars wisely and don't just buy the first thing that comes out. We need to not just buy mediocre, sub par products. As much money as we sink into these systems, we DESERVE to have the best and I won't settle for anything less..but alas, this is for you guys, not for me because I have little hope that the PS4 will actually be anything worth having, the XBOX will be the same as the last one with possibly more annoying features and the new nintendo is still marketing to little kids. It's the same as the games, they are "SEQUEL" systems with no real big changes. I can't do this anymore though. The glitches between Crap Island and Call of S**t oops I mean Dead Island and Call of Duty are just too much as well as the repetitiveness of Dead Rising has insured that this gamer has lost his last life and is now officially retired. So I will play my games until I beat every last one of them once, and then I will put down the controller and find something new to do, but I will assure you, until this industry gets better, it will not be playing videogames.
You sound the way I did when I became tired of consoles 6 years ago. When I finally landed a much better paying job, I went out and built myself a custom computer. It sounds like you should go the PC gaming route. If that doesn't tickle your fancy, retirement from gaming may be in your not so distant future.

The majority of games these days are mostly poor rehashes of games I played 20+ years ago, but with better graphics. It's all they are: eye candy. The 8-bit era was the era of true innovation. I miss those days.

Old 05-21-2013, 05:16 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,638,734 times
Quote:
Sounds like all the so called fanboy talk has gotten under your skin. You seem a little burned and you hype Nintendo as if they are the savior for you in gaming. Whats up with that? I don't have a beef with E ratings are M ratings. Gaming should be about the experience or so I thought. It doesn't sound like you are agree at the gaming industry, but it does come off like you are angry at those who criticize you for using Nintendo products.
More like informing people and allowing them to see things from a different perspective. I've already admitted that Nintendo botched the launch of Wii U and done a poor job marketing it as well. You could argue that they rushed out their console with its slow OS (updated since at a much faster rate) and the eShop sucks in my opinion. It makes the new PSN store tolerable. Nintendo obviously haven't learned from their mistakes with the handling of the 3DS. Nintendo could be doing a better job but I prefer them over Sony and Microsoft.

I people want PS4 and Xbox One, they are allowed to do so. I don't know what you think I was angry over my preference of gaming. Maybe it was the long post. I didn't intend to make it that long. I didn't realized it. I just didn't feel like editing it at the time. I even accidentally repeated myself but I think I got my point across.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games