Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2013, 12:09 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,694,472 times

Advertisements

ok, so i was thinking that Sony will shut down PSN probably a year or two after the PS4 comes out, so what happens to all the games that you downloaded? Will they still work? And if so, and something happens to your HDD, with the Network being down, are you just SOL if you need to download those games again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2013, 12:46 PM

552 posts, read 717,465 times
We dont really know yet how they plan on handling these types of things. Best thing to do is just wait until E3 and see if they announce a solution.

Old 05-25-2013, 01:20 PM

aww crap..well if they decide that we have to download everything again, is there a way that if my HDD does go out and the network is no longer up that I can still have my games, like using a thumb drive for example?

Old 05-25-2013, 01:29 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,244,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackscorpion View Post
aww crap..well if they decide that we have to download everything again, is there a way that if my HDD does go out and the network is no longer up that I can still have my games, like using a thumb drive for example?
You might want to look at this, won't help for DRM content where a DRM server isn't available, but, it will help somewhat...
https://support.us.playstation.com/a...backup-utility

Old 05-25-2013, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
You might want to look at this, won't help for DRM content where a DRM server isn't available, but, it will help somewhat...
https://support.us.playstation.com/a...backup-utility
Awesome! Thanks, I can do that! One more question, what's drm or digital rights media?

Old 05-25-2013, 02:29 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,244,355 times
Digital Rights Management...

Normally you'll receive a "key" to access your content when you download it and it's stored in your DRM DB. However if you lose that DB (and it's not possible to back it up for obvious reasons one being the decryption key is specific to console and user) then that key can be retrieved with the correct credentials (your PSN Login) when you try to access the content.

However...

If the DRM server that supplies those keys is taken offline, you can't retrieve the key so the content is useless this is the worst case scenario, if you lose your local DRM DB.

Unless...

The company who issues those keys is altruistic and has a common key once they take off the primary DRM servers (i.e. anyone who is authenticated gets an open pass). This is probably the best scenario after a period of time.

Old 05-26-2013, 07:14 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,545,760 times
I looked at that article and noted this:

Quote:
Make sure the external storage device has enough space to store all the data from your PS3 system.

Do I find out the usb drive is too small when it's full and the data backup isn't done or do I get the amount needed before it starts? Or is there a place in the PS3 menus that will tell me?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games