Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 04:24 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,911,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargirl007 View Post
They already put a press release out today.

Backtracking on a lot of the announced DRM plans.

The big points:

• An internet connection will not be required to play offline Xbox One games – After a one-time system set-up with a new Xbox One, you can play any disc based game without ever connecting online again. There is no 24 hour connection requirement and you can take your Xbox One anywhere you want and play your games, just like on Xbox 360.
Trade-in, lend, resell, gift, and rent disc based games just like you do today – There will be no limitations to using and sharing games, it will work just as it does today on Xbox 360.

Their pre-sales must really be hurting for this to go out so quick.
I'm still most likely will be getting a PS4, The Xbox exclusives and extra $100 aren't worth it in my book [Halo sucks now]. However, this is a step in the right direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 04:36 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,520,508 times
Microsoft backtracks on Xbox One sharing policies - CNN.com

This is a bad day for Nintendo fans.

Old 06-19-2013, 04:39 PM

Quote:

The big points:

• An internet connection will not be required to play offline Xbox One games – After a one-time system set-up with a new Xbox One, you can play any disc based game without ever connecting online again. There is no 24 hour connection requirement and you can take your Xbox One anywhere you want and play your games, just like on Xbox 360.
Trade-in, lend, resell, gift, and rent disc based games just like you do today – There will be no limitations to using and sharing games, it will work just as it does today on Xbox 360.

And we all have Sony Computer Entertainment to thank for this.

Old 06-20-2013, 06:11 AM

3,718 posts, read 5,693,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPeach2 View Post
And we all have Sony Computer Entertainment to thank for this.
I don't see why. They're still have their obscure used games policy in place that is similar to what Microsoft just recently had.

Old 06-20-2013, 06:31 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,603,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
I don't see why. They're still have their obscure used games policy in place that is similar to what Microsoft just recently had.
How is it obscure? Sony has said that they are not enforcing any restrictions on used games but that they can't control what the publishers do. You could say they are passing the buck, but I don't think you can call their policy nebulous.

Unless the publisher decides to make registation of the game mandatory, I don't see what they can do to stop you from playing a used game. They can put restrictions on the multiplayer experience and tack on DLC that is essentially mandatory, but single player will probably be unaffected.

Last edited by bs13690; 06-20-2013 at 06:40 AM..

Old 06-20-2013, 07:30 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,900,543 times
Quote:

The big points:

Now all they need to do is boot the Kinect and drop the price to match Sony

Old 06-20-2013, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
The Smackdown at E3 was just too tough to bare. Sony gased their hand over at Microsoft and single handedly MADE them adjust.

Old 06-20-2013, 11:19 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,798,306 times
Microsoft is only doing this because of all the negative press they've received and multiple reports have come out that pre-orders of the PS4 have exceeded those of the XBox One. Microsoft is going to need the One to come out strong in the only two big markets it has won with the 360 - The US and UK.

It's pretty obvious this move is profit/market share driven. I have to laugh at the people who have said good job to Microsoft. I've read many comments sharing that sentiment on various comment sections.

Old 06-20-2013, 11:28 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
Well, obviously, both Sony and MS are out for profit/market share but this shows how out of touch MS is with the consumers. Remember that MS made statements like (and I paraphrase): "If they don't like the Xbone's always-on internet feature, buy the XBox 360" and "We think the outcry is from the hard-core gamer minority ..."

Old 06-20-2013, 12:28 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,432,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
It's pretty obvious this move is profit/market share driven. I have to laugh at the people who have said good job to Microsoft. I

I believe some of us forgot the reason why companies exist. If the decisions Sony/MS are making ARE NOT to increase profit/market share. . .they wouldn't be good companies would they?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games