Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ps4 or xbox one
ps4 83 81.37%
xbox one 19 18.63%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 08:52 PM

2,533 posts, read 4,594,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
I'm a serous gamer so I'm well aware of Killer Instinct for the Xbox One. While the game may seem exciting at first blush, interest in it is already dying off. First, it's a franchise that's always excelled at style over substance and since the newest title only runs at 720p it somewhat fails to live up to the hype of a "next gen" console. Also, Microsoft's idiotic marketing strategy means that everybody is playing the same character, Jago, which is even more tiresome than the constant shoto brigade that one finds in on-line Street Fighter IV matches. Lastly, since Xbox 360 fight sticks aren't compatible with the Xbox One many people are finding the new KI a chore to play with the standard controller. Ultimately, the new KI is just a superficial thrill which is emblematic of the entire XB1 experience, in my humble opinion.
The entire experience? Really? Cool story. Glad I didn't buy the One only for KI... I'd be disappointed in such a classic old school game being only 720p. I am looking forward to Elder Scrolls Online... hopefully Bethesda will take the time to make a 1080p version. In the meantime I'll be playing Dead Rising 3 and Forza 5.

You're right about the fight sticks... but there is one out already. Mad Catz Killer Instinct Arcade FightStick for Xbox One Review - IGN I'll probably get it... since I didn't get one for 360. (didn't care for Street Fighter) I do want a legit gaming experience after all... just like the arcades back in the 90's.

As for everything else... this pretty much sums up my opinions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Which means PS4 has a price advantage over Xbox One, which is a 20% difference without the PS4 Eye if you put that in there it falls to 8% that said the resolution of PS4 Eye is 1280x800, not 1920x1080 Kinect resolution.

Media wise, Sony screwed the pooch, Blu-ray isn't an advantage, XB1 has one too, NetFlix isn't an advantage it's on Live, services will be added as time progresses anyway. However where Sony screwed the pooch was media currently is exclusively from PSN, no MP3 support, no CD support, no DLNA support, there's rumors Sony may rectify this, but how long will it take? Given the only alternative is Sony subscription services it may be a while.

Now more on that pricing right here, if you wanted to use DNLA to use your home theater for media streaming (I can't comment about other people but my main Fronts cost $1000 per speaker cabinet, and my centers around $750 for front and rear center left and right) I'd like to use that clarity for more than hearing the dying screams of my enemies), how much do you think a decent DLNA receiver device would cost...? Well a DLNA Blu-Ray player is $80 (and about the cheapest you can buy that will act as a functional DLNA media receiver for audio and video that doesn't involve a monthly subscription), so right now if you used your PS3 as a DLNA box, but want to replace that with a PS4, and you want the camera, it's $399.99 for the PS4, $69.99 for the PS4 Eye, and $79.99 for the DLNA media receiver, the total is $549.99, or you could buy a Xbox One for $499.99. Now I dunno where you did math, but that is $50 more for the same functionality from a PS4 as you get from an Xbox One.
So I actually did get something for my extra $100?!?!? Cool!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2013, 10:54 AM

In addition... taken from Xbox One vs PS4 - Opinion - Trusted Reviews

Top reasons to pick an Xbox One

Larger size may mean it’s more reliable long-term
The huge console size of the Xbox One gives air more room to circulate, which is likely to ensure the console does not overheat even when under strain for prolonged periods.

It has a better launch line-up
At launch, the Xbox One offers a better selection of games than the PS4. Dead Rising 3, Forza Motorsport 5 and Zoo Tycoon are games we’d rather play over Killzone: Shadowfall. Several of the games we thought would be PS4 launch exclusives have been delayed until 2014.

Kinect is undeniably cool
Not everyone likes Kinect, but it has serious potential that you don’t get with the PS4 camera. For example, you can use it to control the console, swiping in the air to perform commands.

Wider distribution of Kinect will mean for more interesting motion gaming
Even more important than the inbuilt features of Kinect, that every Xbox One ships with a Kinect sensor means that developers will be able to confidently put Kinect features into their games. As not everyone will have a PS4 camera, the gaming audience is fragmented.

It acts as a hub for your other home entertainment gear
You can plug another piece of hardware into your Xbox One using its HDMI input. This lets you switch between, say, your digibox and the Xbox One, using the Xbox interface. There’s only one input, but if you use a receiver it’s all you’ll need.

Titanfall is an Xbox One console exclusive
One of the most anticipated next-gen games is Titanfall, a game made by some of the sharpest minds behind the Call of Duty franchise. It’s apparently going to be a PC/Xbox exclusive ‘forever’, so if you want it, you want an Xbox One.

Top reasons to pick a PS4

It’s much smaller than an Xbox One
If you have a cramped lounge/bedroom, the smaller size of the PS4 will come in handy. It is much, much smaller than the Xbox One.

It doesn’t have a separate power brick
Also important, the PS4 incorporates its own power supply while the Xbox One has a separate power brick. This is a big win if you want to take the console around a friend’s house as it’s much, much lighter.

It already has iPlayer
The PS4 has iPlayer already, the Xbox One does not. If you want to use your console as a TV streamer, this is important. iPlayer is coming to Xbox One, we’re just not sure when.

It’s a bit cheaper
As it does not the Camera accessory bundled, the PS4 is significantly cheaper than the Xbox One. It costs £349.99 on its own. The Xbox One is £429.99.

The PS4 is more powerful
The PS4 has a significantly more powerful GPU – graphics processing unit – than the Xbox One. It’s about 50 per cent more powerful.

Remote Play for Vita is awesome
This one only matter for PS Vita owners, but the PS4’s Remote Play is pretty neat. It lets you play full PS4 games on your Vita over your Wi-Fi connection.

PS Plus’s free games plan is great
The PS Plus service costs about £40 a year, but it gets you free games every month. And at present it’s better than the freebie games offering you get with an Xbox One through Live Gold.

The PS4 controller is better
We think the PS4 controller is better than the Xbox One’s. This one will divide opinions, but we’re not fans of the clicky triggers on the Xbox One pad.

Right now, we think there’s actually a bit more fun to be had with the Xbox One. As of November/December 2013, there are simply better games available for Microsoft’s console. That’s not great news for the PS4, which was sold as the ‘true gamer’ console in the months preceding the consoles’ release. It works the other way around too, though. In the early months of the Xbox One’s public existence, Microsoft sold it as a lounge-unifying box that would be able to take control of your whole entertainment setup. It’s actually the least lounge-friendly of the two consoles, as it’s so big. And while the promised media features of the Xbox One sound exciting, few of them are actually in place for UK buyers at the moment. For example, the PS4 has iPlayer when the Xbox One does not, and the more involved TV control elements aren’t available in the UK – yet. Of course, making your buying decision based on these complaints is perhaps not the wisest idea – they’re teething troubles that don’t necessarily indicate what the consoles will be like 12 months down the line.

So... will someone please tell me why I should have bought a PS4 over an XBox One... Was it so I can play an inferior lineup of games on a system that has a better controller and doesn't have a power brick to take up a hidden 6 inches of space on my TV stand?

What's that? The PS4 is more powerful? My bad... didn't notice. I was too busy playing Dead Rising 3, Forza 5 and Killer Instinct.

Old 12-17-2013, 12:18 PM

3,940 posts, read 5,074,113 times
Vote Count:

PS4 = 61

Xbox One = 9

Winner: PS4

Folks, by all means buy the console that best suits your needs but do your homework to help avoid buyer's remorse.

Old 12-17-2013, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Vote Count:

PS4 = 61

Xbox One = 9

Winner: PS4

Folks, by all means buy the console that best suits your needs but do your homework to help avoid buyer's remorse.
For sure. Rather than base your decision on a fanboi heavy forum poll you could take a look at sales numbers and see that both systems are in a dead heat...

Numbers Game: Xbox One Outpaces PlayStation 4 in U.S., PS4 Tops in Overall Sales | TIME.com

The review from my previous post says it all.

Neither system is head and shoulders above the other... regardless of spec. If you think otherwise you are misinformed.

For me I bought the One because I'm a longtime 360/XBL user and the lineup of games at launch is simply better. I also like the long term potential of the system and the Kinect/TV setup is pretty cool too. That doesn't mean I won't ever get a PS4 though. The one game I played on PS3 was the MLB:The Show series. It was a PS exclusive.

It the series continues on PS4 I'll be buying one because MLB is the best baseball series ever.

Happy shopping everyone.

Old 12-17-2013, 01:58 PM

3,940 posts, read 5,074,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
For sure. Rather than base your decision on a fanboi heavy forum poll you could take a look at sales numbers and see that both systems are in a dead heat...
What evidence do you have that suggests this is a fanboy heavy poll? Seriously, just because people don't agree with your choice you gotta resort to calling people fanboys?

Oh and yes, when the PS4 is finally released all over the world we'll see how people have decided. Personally, I'm quite curious to see how many units Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo have sold by this time next year.

Old 12-17-2013, 03:06 PM

Quote:
What evidence do you have that suggests this is a fanboy heavy poll? Seriously, just because people don't agree with your choice you gotta resort to calling people fanboys?

Oh and yes, when the PS4 is finally released all over the world we'll see how people have decided. Personally, I'm quite curious to see how many units Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo have sold by this time next year.
LOL because the entire thread is "I'm gonna get a PS4" with no specific reasons other than a lot of "it's cheaper"...

I mean seriously... is that the only reason to get it? Because it's $100 cheaper? This thread has already demonstrated if you equip the PS4 to get the same XBox One usefulness it will actually be $50 MORE and still will have a weaker camera...

What about the game lineup at launch?

The hardware? Sure it's technically better on the PS4 but in the end it's really all gonna depend on game developers when it comes to what a game looks like on screen.

I don't care what people buy.... If you have no use for the Kinect then by all means get a PS4 but to suggest the PS4 is some overwhelmingly better system that blows the doors off the XBox One couldn't be further from the truth.

For me it's all about the games... and Dead Rising 3 and Forza 5 are wicked launch titles... in 1080p. Don't forget Killer Instinct for the classic gamers who don't mind 720p. So... what about PS4?

Assassin’s Creed Black Flag
Battlefield 4
Call of Duty: Ghosts
Driveclub
FIFA 14
Just Dance 2014
Killzone: Shadow Fall
Knack
LEGO Marvel Super Heroes
Madden NFL 25
NBA 2K14
NBA LIVE
Need for Speed: Rivals
Skylanders: Swap Force

None of those jump out stand out to me as must have titles and that's why I'm comfortable in my decision to pass on the PS4.

As for overall sales, I too am looking forward to seeing the numbers in a year.

Old 12-17-2013, 04:21 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,256,657 times
Quote:
LOL because the entire thread is "I'm gonna get a PS4" with no specific reasons other than a lot of "it's cheaper"...

I mean seriously... is that the only reason to get it? Because it's $100 cheaper? This thread has already demonstrated if you equip the PS4 to get the same XBox One usefulness it will actually be $50 MORE and still will have a weaker camera...

What about the game lineup at launch?

The hardware? Sure it's technically better on the PS4 but in the end it's really all gonna depend on game developers when it comes to what a game looks like on screen.

I don't care what people buy.... If you have no use for the Kinect then by all means get a PS4 but to suggest the PS4 is some overwhelmingly better system that blows the doors off the XBox One couldn't be further from the truth.

For me it's all about the games... and Dead Rising 3 and Forza 5 are wicked launch titles... in 1080p. Don't forget Killer Instinct for the classic gamers who don't mind 720p. So... what about PS4?

Assassin’s Creed Black Flag
Battlefield 4
Call of Duty: Ghosts
Driveclub
FIFA 14
Just Dance 2014
Killzone: Shadow Fall
Knack
LEGO Marvel Super Heroes
Madden NFL 25
NBA 2K14
NBA LIVE
Need for Speed: Rivals
Skylanders: Swap Force

None of those jump out stand out to me as must have titles and that's why I'm comfortable in my decision to pass on the PS4.

As for overall sales, I too am looking forward to seeing the numbers in a year.
Erm...

DriveClub was delayed, it was the one release title that wasn't multiplat that might have got me to go for a PS4, however it looks like it may be on the same release cycle as GT5 was, i.e. it's a Day 1, oh no, it's a launch window title, oh no, it's a year 1 title, oh no, it's whenever we finish it. There are two release exclusives KillZone and Knack, KZ is a good FPS but it's not outstanding, Knack has had mixed reviews and is a platformer (which is bizarre for a release title). Resogun is the one big plus for PS4, Warframe has been given good reviews, but the F2P pricing structure is a negative (sounds like KI).

That said it's not really about launch lineups, but about potential. I'm not buying PS4's potential, the dev kits for XB1 and PS4 are different, XB1 contains all tools for apps and games, PS4 only games, this means MS took longer to get finalized platforms to dev teams, thus less optimization (and explains why Forza 5 is 1080p native, but most release titles are 720p native, not that it matters unless you have a very large screen < 50" and sit close too it 7' >).

Historically Sony have never been able to compete with development kits for PS against Microsoft, indeed with the introduction of Mono into PS4's system software they may not even be trying (but using Visual Studio). However historically I'm not buying PS4's potential because Sony have underdelivered in every generation but the original PlayStation. PS2 was claimed to be a supercomputer, could do phenomenal things, but Xbox with lower Flops (6.2GFlops for PS2 to 3GFlops for Xbox) had better looking games, PS3 was claimed to be a supercomputer, could do phenomenal things PSN would be better more stable and secure than Xbox Live, but Xbox360 held parity on games and visuals had far fewer network outages, and of course did not have the largest release of customer data in the history of man, for all but exclusives most games looked more or less the same. PS4 has a claimed 50% faster GPU pipeline, can you guess what I'm expecting?

Old 12-17-2013, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Erm...

DriveClub was delayed, it was the one release title that wasn't multiplat that might have got me to go for a PS4, however it looks like it may be on the same release cycle as GT5 was, i.e. it's a Day 1, oh no, it's a launch window title, oh no, it's a year 1 title, oh no, it's whenever we finish it. There are two release exclusives KillZone and Knack, KZ is a good FPS but it's not outstanding, Knack has had mixed reviews and is a platformer (which is bizarre for a release title). Resogun is the one big plus for PS4, Warframe has been given good reviews, but the F2P pricing structure is a negative (sounds like KI).

That said it's not really about launch lineups, but about potential. I'm not buying PS4's potential, the dev kits for XB1 and PS4 are different, XB1 contains all tools for apps and games, PS4 only games, this means MS took longer to get finalized platforms to dev teams, thus less optimization (and explains why Forza 5 is 1080p native, but most release titles are 720p native, not that it matters unless you have a very large screen < 50" and sit close too it 7' >).

Historically Sony have never been able to compete with development kits for PS against Microsoft, indeed with the introduction of Mono into PS4's system software they may not even be trying (but using Visual Studio). However historically I'm not buying PS4's potential because Sony have underdelivered in every generation but the original PlayStation. PS2 was claimed to be a supercomputer, could do phenomenal things, but Xbox with lower Flops (6.2GFlops for PS2 to 3GFlops for Xbox) had better looking games, PS3 was claimed to be a supercomputer, could do phenomenal things PSN would be better more stable and secure than Xbox Live, but Xbox360 held parity on games and visuals had far fewer network outages, and of course did not have the largest release of customer data in the history of man, for all but exclusives most games looked more or less the same. PS4 has a claimed 50% faster GPU pipeline, can you guess what I'm expecting?
12.5%?

Good post... I agree about the long term potential. I'm just not buying the PS4 hype. I'm anxious to see where Microsoft goes with the One... I've only had mine 2 days and love it. The Kinect is miles above the 360 version and that just makes the system even more awesome. I'll admit I had my doubts until I saw it in action..

Old 12-17-2013, 08:38 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,305,527 times
Quote:
12.5%?

Good post... I agree about the long term potential. I'm just not buying the PS4 hype. I'm anxious to see where Microsoft goes with the One... I've only had mine 2 days and love it. The Kinect is miles above the 360 version and that just makes the system even more awesome. I'll admit I had my doubts until I saw it in action..
I'm a Day-One-r and I love it too. I prefer to use that TV now and wish my TV upstairs had the voice control! I preferred the gestures on 360, but the voice control on One is miles above. The quality of the menus is just fantastic. I can't wait for when developers have had time to play with Microsoft's Azure to take full potential of that innovation instead of just rushing games out for release. Sure, both systems were rushed, but because of that, judgements on game performance or even the number of titles is pointless for both sides. Both systems are capable of 1080p and 4k content, but when you're only given so much to work with before everything is finalized.

I LOVE MY XBOX ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-18-2013, 12:54 AM

4,001 posts, read 10,822,977 times
I went with PS4 (two of them actually) and have three PS3's in the house. Kids...I would never get to play without multiple systems lol. I chose PS simply for the Blu-Ray player back in 2008. I am sure XBone is great too, played a 360 several times and it felt pretty comparable to the PS3, so certainly this generation is the same. I don't get the mentality of disliking the other, when you get down to it they still deliver the same basic entertainment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games