Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 12:51 AM

1,807 posts, read 3,181,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
don't see much talk at all about 13-2. I was very impressed with it and I thought they did a good job keep it non-linear. In my eyes, FFVIII is still my favorite even though it is hated on by so many people.
I like VIII. I must admit, it was an acquired taste. I wasn't thrilled with it initially. I think it was my 2nd time through the game that I really started to like it.

Still trying to get through 13 before I think about 13-2. I'm trying to like it, but it really bores me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2014, 12:56 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,869,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brill View Post
I like VIII. I must admit, it was an acquired taste. I wasn't thrilled with it initially. I think it was my 2nd time through the game that I really started to like it.

Still trying to get through 13 before I think about 13-2. I'm trying to like it, but it really bores me.
I was not a fan of 13, it felt pretty boring even though the graphics were so good. 13-2 fixed a lot of the things that made 13 not as enjoyable.

sarrrrraaaaaahhhhhhhhh

Old 02-14-2014, 10:25 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,501,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screen View Post
IX is the best. VI is a close second.
interesting, on many greatest of all time list I rarely see VI, but see III, IV & VII listed very often, whats your take on that?

Old 02-14-2014, 11:08 PM

3,513 posts, read 3,716,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPeach2 View Post
interesting, on many greatest of all time list I rarely see VI, but see III, IV & VII listed very often, whats your take on that?
Back in those days, not all of the Final Fantasy games were released in the same sequence in the United States as they were in Japan. Final Fantasy I is the same, but then it got out of sequence. II - VI had this issue. It wasn't until VII where the number sequencing for the U.S./Japan releases got back in sequence. Final Fantasy III was the title given to the U.S. release for what is actually Final Fantasy VI (Japan release). So, when you see III on these lists, they mean the U.S. version of FF3 (VI), but it's the same game as Final Fantasy VI if you are going by the proper Japan release dates.

Example:

U.S. Release, Opening Credits (FFIII in the title) [13 - 45 second mark]:

SNES Final Fantasy 3 Video Walkthrough 1/4 - YouTube

Re-issue Version, Opening Credits (with VI in the title) [0 - 50 second mark]:

SNES Final Fantasy VI - Intro - YouTube

It's a part of gaming history that this happened, it's just too bad that one of the greatest games ever made will always have this naming/number sequencing disruption, especially when explaining the game to new people and always having to clarify with "FF3 (VI)" so that it is never confused with the real III (Japanese-only release). They have fixed this in subsequent re-releases of FF3 (VI) and use the proper VI Roman numeral, such as for the Game Boy Advance version.

In speaking of VII, yes, it gets most of the credit as far as mainstream popularity, as the PS1 is when video gaming started to go mainstream. But FF3 (VI) is what made the franchise, IMO.

Last edited by Free-R; 02-14-2014 at 11:57 PM.. Reason: corrections

Old 02-15-2014, 08:26 AM

3,513 posts, read 3,716,052 times
Transcript of Ted Woolsey interview - Episode Discussions - Player One Podcast

Interesting transcript from a 2007 interview of Ted Woolsey for the Player One Podcast. Woolsey is the guy who did the Japanese to English translation for Final Fantasy 3(VI). In the interview, he states how he had just graduated with a master's degree in Japanese literature when he took a job with then-emerging Squaresoft.

Quote:
Chris: What do you think of your work when you look back on it now? Do you have a favorite project that stands out?

Ted: I was one of the first people to be surprised by the degree of.... the fact that I'm talking to you guys today.... Just through my sheer connections and stupidity (or genius) I had to go over and interview at Square. Those guys were brilliant at the time and made great products and I just happened to pick the right company and the right game type. I have to admit, I still love..
Woolsey's other credits include Secret of Mana, Breath of Fire, Chrono Trigger, and Super Mario RPG. He declined the offer to do the translation for Final Fantasy VII.

Quote:
Greg: So why did you ultimately leave Square?

Ted: Well, I was invited down to do Final Fantasy VII, you know, work on the localization and it was my intent...In retrospect maybe that was a big mistake to walk away from that brand, but life is kind of like that.

Old 02-16-2014, 06:19 AM

7 posts, read 7,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
FF12 = Best video game ever created, in any genre, on any console
I disagree with this. I don't have time to play games for myself these days so I watch YouTube "Let's Plays" and can't get through this one. Just not my idea of a ff game.

Also, would it be worth it to buy a ps3 just for ffx hd. Or will the gods be just and give us a 360 version. Wishful thinking, I know.

Old 02-16-2014, 03:58 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,892,434 times
Been playing FFV Advance for the past few weeks, gonna jump to VI when I'm done. It's a fun game, and it really not that hard if you take the time to grind and unlock job upgrades.

Old 02-21-2014, 03:09 AM

1,948 posts, read 2,558,866 times

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - Retro-spective Trailer - YouTube

Old 02-26-2014, 09:34 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,181,741 times
How is FFX/X-2?

I saw that HD release coming up and thinking about getting.

Old 02-27-2014, 01:48 PM
YaB

26 posts, read 40,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brill View Post
How is FFX/X-2?

I saw that HD release coming up and thinking about getting.
I loved Final Fantasy X and look forward to playing it again when it releases. Last time that I truly played it when it originally released for the PS2 back in 2002.

Final Fantasy X-2 was okay, I kinda wished they left the story at the last events of X.

Depends if you like the Final Fantasy games or not, the RPG turn based games. I personally enjoyed the game a whole lot.

I think it's great that you can collect the PS3 trophies that FFX and X-2 has to offer. I've purchased the collectors edition and PS Vita version, since it provides cross-save compatibility.

Final Fantasy X|X-2 Collectors edition: http://na.square-enix.com/us/blog/fi...ion-overview-0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games