Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 05:55 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,275,241 times

Advertisements

What precisely is a cheat? Because it's kind of vague...

Is a walkthrough a cheat? It's been going on since you and your buddy both had a game and he came over to see how you cleared one level, and then you went over a few days later to see how he got past some boss.

Is a mod a cheat?
Is taking advantage of certain ill conceived mechanics a cheat?
Is using a control console a cheat?

Sure there are specific "cheat codes" that are put there by the developer, but if they're put there by the developer, then are they not by definition not cheats?

IMHO everyone's experience with games is personal. To expect everyone to play the game in the same way is naive, it would be like opening a restaurant and refusing customers the use of condiments, and every item is prepared exactly the same (so no Blue Filet Mignon for you, unless the Filet Mignon already comes that way). That's not really going to fly.

The other question raised is are games getting easier? I don't think so, I think they've evolved. The experience is different, it's not about cracking the specific key presses to get around some boss, but encouraging players to find their own solutions, or to provide more gameplay than a main quest line. It's pretty easy to have a game that requires 100 hours of gameplay if it requires the player to spend 99 of those hours developing the skills needed to complete the actual 1 hour of gameplay that's provided. It's not necessarily going to be a good game if it's grinding for those 99 hours, but it's 100 hours of play time.

Ultimately you pay your money, and use the game as you want to. You can leave it on the shelf for months, because you have neither the time or the inclination to go back and try to pass some section that is holding back your progress, or go find a strategy on Gamefaqs and use it, or go find a mod that boosts your stats, or open the developer console and use a code.

The only time that someone is "Cheating" in a video game is when they're competing against another person, who is not using the same mechanisms to gain an advantage over that person.

Anyway just my opinion, yours is just as valid.

Old 11-09-2013, 05:21 PM

93 posts, read 204,848 times
Gungnir, definitely you have a point. Cheating has to be defined. And certainly if multiple players decide on rules, if the rules are not heeded among those who agree to play under the rules, then that really is cheating.

I think a lot of people tend to feel that using the resource source 'cheats' is a form of cheating, if only because they allow bypassing routines, strategies and time constraints usually involved in games and the codes used are usually categorized as 'cheats'.

What I find most amusing are those who maximize their advantages, then complain that a game is "boring". And if they play without 'cheats', the game is 'too hard'. I think skillful strategizing if using cheats, can really enhance an individual's enjoyment of their games.

Good discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2013, 01:04 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,662,103 times
Is it considered cheating if you work in a group to play Windows Solitaire?

Old 11-23-2013, 05:56 PM

93 posts, read 204,848 times
If it's a group game, like a parent helping a child or two, or some friends collaborating on the moves together, it really isn't "solitaire" any more, it's a group game; a group project to the extent that they work together.

If everyone has agreed to how the game is played, I don't see how that is 'cheating'?

But your mileage may vary on how you choose to interpret 'cheating'.

If you wait til your group steps out of the room and secretly change an unsolvable game to another set of stacks, that's probably cheating.

Old 11-23-2013, 09:40 PM

312 posts, read 494,388 times
Nope, and I honestly believe cheating in a game should be a jail-able offense. Not even joking.

Old 11-23-2013, 10:01 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,388,858 times
I try really hard not to use any cheats on my first playthrough of any game. I've had a couple that were just ridiculously hard in certain parts and would cheat just to get past them, but I'm talking about after countless tries.

Old 11-25-2013, 03:33 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
I don't see any of this as cheating - you can already set most games for high, medium, or easy difficulty levels. It's a user feature.

Now when I clicked on here I thought this was about cheating in online games, which is almost at epidemic levels. At this point if you play on the PC (and some on consoles) a game like COD you almost have to assume a number of your competitors are cheating - aimbots, lagswitches, glitch exploits. You name it, people, mostly kids, will do it. It's a business now - with people developing and selling software to enable cheating quicker then the servers and game developers can develop strategies to detect cheats.

Old 11-26-2013, 12:30 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,728,669 times

This is real cheating, and it's just ...sad. What kind of a person would consider this fun ?
one of the major things that make me keep playing games like BF3 is improving my skill. Getting better, more accurate, more perceptive etc.
All this guy gets is the same kind of satisfaction forum trolls get when they make a mess.

Old 11-26-2013, 03:03 AM

1,889 posts, read 1,324,592 times
Outright cheating is pointless. I think I've only ever done it once or twice to see what an aimbot, etc, is like, but it just feels so hollow and unsatisfying that I'd rather play at a disadvantage in a map full of hackers.

Old 11-26-2013, 08:32 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
That's one of the benefits of a consoles (as also that video pointed out) - you don't have to deal with online cheaters using 3rd party software to cheat. I don't play PC FPS's for one reason - too many people cheating.

Although you still have boosters (people using a partner to, for instance, continuously kill each other in order to increase stats), glitchers (people exploiting a bug in the game, like an area of the map where for whatever reason you cannot be killed), and on some games lag switches can be used (COD I think, thank God they don't work in BF). If there is a way to cheat, the kids will do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games