Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 06:30 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,672,347 times

Advertisements

I noticed that Amazon has a policy of shipping a new box before the DOA is returned. Also one poster said their disc was stuck in it and would not come out. Amazon is replacing it as well even though the game was not bought there.

Amazon is run by some smart people.

I'm on hold. We have AC4 and BF4 sitting there waiting until we buy one. Probably after the new year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2013, 10:21 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,743,640 times
I'd like to get one, but will have to wait for awhile since all of them are sold out. One thing, the PS4 can't play any PS3 games, downloaded or on hard copy. But more good games could come along.

Old 11-20-2013, 02:15 PM

3,950 posts, read 5,085,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Bigger box, means larger diameter fans which push more air at lower speeds (i.e. quieter, and more reliable) and more ability to dissipate heat inside the enclosure before there's a thermal failure. The Power supply is external too, which again lowers heat developed inside the box.

Good engineering practice, function over form, and one of the concerns of the PS4 I do have (especially with the reports of some systems overheating).
To my eyes the Xbox One looks like a big fat ugly black monolith while the PS4 has a sleek sexy blown back PS2 aesthetic to it.

Hard to imagine PS4's overheating because the whole back of the console is nothing but vents.

So talk on the street is that Sony sold 1,000,000 PS4's at launch. I wonder how many XB1's Microsoft will sell this Friday?

Old 11-20-2013, 02:22 PM

349 posts, read 422,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
To my eyes the Xbox One looks like a big fat ugly black monolith while the PS4 has a sleek sexy blown back PS2 aesthetic to it.

Hard to imagine PS4's overheating because the whole back of the console is nothing but vents.

So talk on the street is that Sony sold 1,000,000 PS4's at launch. I wonder how many XB1's Microsoft will sell this Friday?
Ha, both of them look ugly as sin coming from a Sony fan..

I have a feeling the Xbone will sell a decent amount. But if Sony has these type of figures recorded in North America, it only makes sense that the Xbox one will be crushed in Europe where the Playstation has a stronger market.

Old 11-20-2013, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronHarpoons View Post
But if Sony has these type of figures recorded in North America, it only makes sense that the Xbox one will be crushed in Europe where the Playstation has a stronger market.
And let's not even talk about the Japanese market where Microsoft has never had any success selling consoles.

Old 11-20-2013, 03:10 PM

349 posts, read 422,568 times
Quote:
And let's not even talk about the Japanese market where Microsoft has never had any success selling consoles.
Yep.. They struggled to sell a million consoles last gen.

I think MS shot screwed themselves when they started to cater towards casual gamers and families towards the late years of the 360. Millions of hardcore American gamers turned towards PS4. The Xbox one is still a great console though.. For watching TV

Old 11-20-2013, 03:17 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,270,543 times
Quote:
Personally I don't want any console to be obvious in my AV gear, I don't especially want to look at them, because none of them look like anything I particularly want to look at, none are particularly visually interesting, and if I want an object that I do want to look at I'll go buy one.

I've said it before give me a 1u rack mount console with remote on, and multi-disk changer and I'll be happy, it'll slot right in to my AV rack without a shelf.

Quote:
Hello 2006 rang, and Microsoft fans want their statements about the 360 back...

Quote:
Difficult to say, if it goes well in NA Sony fans are going to argue the sales are global, if it doesn't MS fans will say published figures are just NA. We'll see, although the Xbox One is getting good reviews from the places I've seen, for it's media integration voice control and app switching, and while these aren't of primary benefit for a gaming console, Angry Birds wasn't of primary benefit to a cell phone until someone came along and provided the mechanism that allowed it.

As far as immediate sales, it's pretty much irrelevant, the initial sales numbers are entirely from pre-order hype, now both systems are here (or at least in the next few days) with people using them, we'll see what happens, and given the differences in strategy there is likely to be one firm winner and one firm loser this generation. However if one thing has been shown from the last release to today, it's that multifunction is more important than being the best at any one thing, iPhone isn't the best at any one thing it's used for, it's an Ok cell phone (reception, battery life, etc.), but not the best, it had an ok OS, but not the best (it didn't even have multitasking for it's first three versions), it had a touchscreen that people said would never work without tactile feedback, it is a walled garden far worse than even XB1 proposed, and it was significantly more expensive than the alternative offers of the time and how many units did it sell? On initial release between 250,000 and 700,000, now around 250M units shipped.

So like I said we'll see, hardcore gamers are one segment, but they're only one segment, they're the most demanding, but they're not the most profitable, and both companies aren't doing this to score points, unless those points are called dollars.

Old 11-20-2013, 07:19 PM

I'm hearing VERY good things about the PS4's controller with many people calling it the best of this generation.

Here are the games that I'll probably pull the trigger on a PS4 for:

1) Oblivion

2) A proper Frame Gride sequel

3) A new Tribes game in the spirit of Aerial Assault on the PS2

Old 11-21-2013, 07:35 AM

2,313 posts, read 2,504,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Personally I don't want any console to be obvious in my AV gear, I don't especially want to look at them, because none of them look like anything I particularly want to look at, none are particularly visually interesting, and if I want an object that I do want to look at I'll go buy one.

I've said it before give me a 1u rack mount console with remote on, and multi-disk changer and I'll be happy, it'll slot right in to my AV rack without a shelf.

Hello 2006 rang, and Microsoft fans want their statements about the 360 back...

Difficult to say, if it goes well in NA Sony fans are going to argue the sales are global, if it doesn't MS fans will say published figures are just NA. We'll see, although the Xbox One is getting good reviews from the places I've seen, for it's media integration voice control and app switching, and while these aren't of primary benefit for a gaming console, Angry Birds wasn't of primary benefit to a cell phone until someone came along and provided the mechanism that allowed it.

As far as immediate sales, it's pretty much irrelevant, the initial sales numbers are entirely from pre-order hype, now both systems are here (or at least in the next few days) with people using them, we'll see what happens, and given the differences in strategy there is likely to be one firm winner and one firm loser this generation. However if one thing has been shown from the last release to today, it's that multifunction is more important than being the best at any one thing, iPhone isn't the best at any one thing it's used for, it's an Ok cell phone (reception, battery life, etc.), but not the best, it had an ok OS, but not the best (it didn't even have multitasking for it's first three versions), it had a touchscreen that people said would never work without tactile feedback, it is a walled garden far worse than even XB1 proposed, and it was significantly more expensive than the alternative offers of the time and how many units did it sell? On initial release between 250,000 and 700,000, now around 250M units shipped.

So like I said we'll see, hardcore gamers are one segment, but they're only one segment, they're the most demanding, but they're not the most profitable, and both companies aren't doing this to score points, unless those points are called dollars.
Good post. I think the problem that the Xbox One will have is the cost of the system and Xbox Live Gold. Once the casuals find out that you need Xbox live Gold to watch Netflix and to use the apps then I think they will be turned off. I know a lot of people who turned off by the 360 for that reason.

Old 11-21-2013, 09:16 AM

Default PS4 is the new de facto standard

IGN's PS4 Video Review
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games