Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 01:43 PM

4,828 posts, read 4,284,428 times

Advertisements

The Wii had me hooked, mainly because it was the perfect party system. Me and my girlfriend at the time would bowl and play tennis together in the evenings. We'd get a group together and play golf challenges. It was an all around fun game and the competitive level was relatively high. When we broke up, she kept the Wii and I left with my PS3.

I've now upgraded to the PS4 and still enjoy gaming. I have been playing Playstation since I was in 7th or 8th grade and I'm 30 now. My best friend had the PS1 and PS2, while I had the Nintendo 64. I stopped console gaming for almost 5 years and strictly did PC gaming during the hype of Half-Life and Counter Strike. Now, I highly doubt I'll ever go back to PC gaming. PC gaming for me is something completely separate. I would have to have a desktop computer separate of my console gaming to keep the price down, since desktop parts are cheaper than laptop parts. With a console, it integrates better with my home theater setup.

I still like to play the Wii when I go to a friends house, but I doubt I'll buy anything more Nintendo. I've been on Playstation too long and I've only ever owned one gaming platform at a time. I buy one and just stick to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 03:13 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,590,352 times
I miss my old school Nintendo that was the last game system I had as kid in high school. After high school I lost interest in video games but every once in awhile I wish I could play some Zelda on the NES. I have the emulator on my computer but it doesn't feel the same without the actual nintendo.

Old 02-12-2014, 01:50 PM

3,531 posts, read 3,733,370 times
Others have mentioned in the thread that they're out of gaming as a hobby. For me that's mostly true. While I'll revisit some old classics from time to time, it's not the "go-to" thing like it used to be. Nintendo made the decision with the Wii to not compete based on graphics and complexity of hardware, and it worked at that time. But as the gaming genre has aged, and as time has gone on, the novelty of the Wii has worn off.

The Game Boy Advance and the Wii allowed a lot of old NES/SNES classics to be re-released and experienced again, but that too has worn itself out. Re-purchasing a game to get bonus material isn't going to draw me like it first did. In fairness, I have grown out of the scene, and while Nintendo's focus is on kids/family, the rest of the gaming community, still, wants graphics and hardware power/integration. Nintendo's system isn't as powerful, and their third-party support shows that the industry has moved on from novelty. Also, for the novelty factor, there are many different ways to experience that, such as on a mobile device or free online games; you don't need a standalone box for that.

Someone I know has an original Wii and I went to the download section in it to see if by chance they had some old-school games available, such as Tetris. There were hardly any. Why not? I guess the Wii is no longer supported, but still. Given this, and the fact that Nintendo can't compete on hardware, there isn't a reason to buy a Wii U.

Old 02-12-2014, 04:33 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,318,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budgetlord View Post
Others have mentioned in the thread that they're out of gaming as a hobby. For me that's mostly true. While I'll revisit some old classics from time to time, it's not the "go-to" thing like it used to be. Nintendo made the decision with the Wii to not compete based on graphics and complexity of hardware, and it worked at that time. But as the gaming genre has aged, and as time has gone on, the novelty of the Wii has worn off.
Novelty ALWAYS wears off. This is what I have been screaming at them since the Wii came out. How the heck can a company be this naïve?

Old 02-14-2014, 09:50 AM

3,950 posts, read 5,090,473 times
Mario Kart 8 ships Friday May 30th. Look for sales of the Wii U to increase exponentially between now and then.

Mario Kart 8 Discussion - Koopalings, New Tracks, and more! (Nintendo Direct Trailer 2-13) - YouTube

Old 02-14-2014, 02:03 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,524,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerfan84 View Post
The Wii had me hooked, mainly because it was the perfect party system. Me and my girlfriend at the time would bowl and play tennis together in the evenings. We'd get a group together and play golf challenges. It was an all around fun game and the competitive level was relatively high. When we broke up, she kept the Wii and I left with my PS3.

I've now upgraded to the PS4 and still enjoy gaming. I have been playing Playstation since I was in 7th or 8th grade and I'm 30 now. My best friend had the PS1 and PS2, while I had the Nintendo 64. I stopped console gaming for almost 5 years and strictly did PC gaming during the hype of Half-Life and Counter Strike. Now, I highly doubt I'll ever go back to PC gaming. PC gaming for me is something completely separate. I would have to have a desktop computer separate of my console gaming to keep the price down, since desktop parts are cheaper than laptop parts. With a console, it integrates better with my home theater setup.

I still like to play the Wii when I go to a friends house, but I doubt I'll buy anything more Nintendo. I've been on Playstation too long and I've only ever owned one gaming platform at a time. I buy one and just stick to it.
Sucks to hear about you and your girlfriend man..... Im a Playstation only gamer as well. Many due to the amount of time in a day & I have other things that I like to do other than game & there are tons of games on PS1, PS2 & PS3 that I still have not played yet. I have a PSP and PS3 currently and will eventually get Vita and PS4 in a few years. By then Vita and PS4 will have all the kinks worked out and there will be a catalog of games to choose from.

As far as Nintendo goes the Fusion idea or their handheld and console system being the one and the same is a good idea and I can see Sony following suit with that sort of thing. Nintendos handheld department seems to always outshine their console teams. If they can make a way for 3DS game to play on HD screens it would kill the Wii U very quickly, but that is the tech they are going to have to bring out to compete with what Sony & Microsoft are doing, the portable unit will have to be the console unit and visa versa. Their next DS would probably be a Wii U gamepad / 3DS hybrid that comes with a device that holds a HDD & transmits games from the handheld to your HD TV. You can store downloaded games on receiver/HDD device and physical games would only come as gamecards that go in the portable device ONLY. As far a home console for Nintendo that isnt tied to a portable device Im not sure they will well ever be able to best Playstation again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games