Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 10:54 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times

Advertisements

I bought a Wii U three months ago. It's not a bad system, to be honest. But it just doesn't feel like a new generation console compared to PS4 and Xbox One. I mean, I played the Mario games on it and they were excellent. And DKC comes out this week, which looks good. But after that, the only game that interests me is Mario Kart 8. And honestly, I'm not that excited about MK anymore. Especially that I'm now a 29 year old guy living alone. These games were fun when I lived with my family growing up with my brothers. But it's just different when you live alone and are almost 30 years old.

I'm just very disenchanted with Nintendo these days. Ever since the N64, it's been downhill (or up and down here and there). Waning third party support, terrible online gaming, alienation of adult and hardcore gamers, failure to keep up with cutting edge technology, gimmicks, constant rehashes, etc. I mean, it's gotten to the point where the ONLY serious franchises on their consoles now are Mario and Zelda. Great games, but seriously....can't they do anything NEW?! The Zelda series has gone downhill since Twilight Princess IMO.

I kind of wish I had gotten the PS4 instead. I had it pre-ordered and I stupidly returned the pre-order before it launched. But I don't know....I grew up with Nintendo and it's just hard to let go of them. And I don't want to own multiple consoles, because I don't care to put in so much time and money into gaming at my age. One is enough.

I have owned PS1, PS2 and PS3 before and enjoyed them. But their games aren't quite as timeless as Nintendo's games.

I would also be afraid to get a PS4 though, because Sony is in SERIOUS financial jeopardy, with a 78% chance of going bankrupt in the next few years, and most of their divisions are losing money. Even the PS division isn't doing that great financially.

What should I do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 11:13 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,318,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I bought a Wii U three months ago. It's not a bad system, to be honest. But it just doesn't feel like a new generation console compared to PS4 and Xbox One. I mean, I played the Mario games on it and they were excellent. And DKC comes out this week, which looks good. But after that, the only game that interests me is Mario Kart 8. And honestly, I'm not that excited about MK anymore. Especially that I'm now a 29 year old guy living alone. These games were fun when I lived with my family growing up with my brothers. But it's just different when you live alone and are almost 30 years old.

I'm just very disenchanted with Nintendo these days. Ever since the N64, it's been downhill (or up and down here and there). Waning third party support, terrible online gaming, alienation of adult and hardcore gamers, failure to keep up with cutting edge technology, gimmicks, constant rehashes, etc. I mean, it's gotten to the point where the ONLY serious franchises on their consoles now are Mario and Zelda. Great games, but seriously....can't they do anything NEW?! The Zelda series has gone downhill since Twilight Princess IMO.

I kind of wish I had gotten the PS4 instead. I had it pre-ordered and I stupidly returned the pre-order before it launched. But I don't know....I grew up with Nintendo and it's just hard to let go of them. And I don't want to own multiple consoles, because I don't care to put in so much time and money into gaming at my age. One is enough.

I have owned PS1, PS2 and PS3 before and enjoyed them. But their games aren't quite as timeless as Nintendo's games.

I would also be afraid to get a PS4 though, because Sony is in SERIOUS financial jeopardy, with a 78% chance of going bankrupt in the next few years, and most of their divisions are losing money. Even the PS division isn't doing that great financially.

What should I do?
Sony is at least a few years out and whomever buys them out will just keep everything going without disruption, so don't let that stop you.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
Sony is at least a few years out and whomever buys them out will just keep everything going without disruption, so don't let that stop you.
Ugh. I don't want to see some other stupid electronics company buy the PlayStation business. Can you imagine a Samsung PS4? Ugh. I hate Samsung and LG.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:43 PM

947 posts, read 1,464,492 times
Have you checked out the eshop on the wiiu?

Plenty of their content there.

Also the PS4 is not bc.

There are also a good number of wii games you should discover. The house of deadverkill. Dead Space:Extraction. The Conduit. Deadly Creatures. Resident Evil 4. Madworld. Maybe you should bother to find some of the gems on the wii that people overlooked because they didn't know jack and listened to morons and what the tv told them to get.

Old 02-21-2014, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Ugh. I don't want to see some other stupid electronics company buy the PlayStation business. Can you imagine a Samsung PS4? Ugh. I hate Samsung and LG.
Yeah, but it's most likely what you'd see. Samsung, Amazon, maybe even Walmart or Yahoo!, all looking to capitalize on user profiles and user experience. Apple and Google are other possibilities, but they'd buy it out, strip the patents, and sell off everything else.

Old 02-21-2014, 07:56 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
Quote:

What should I do?
The "78% probability of going bankrupt" is based on only one financial modeling analysis from one company - Macroaxis. Only one. This analysis is not agreed with by the majority of investors. I seriously don't think that's likely at all - Sony is just too diversified, huge, they own financial businesses themselves. They also posted a profit last quarter (the first in 5 years), 2013 was a relatively good year for them, and the PS4 is selling like hotcakes, much better than the XBOX. Once they get the player base established, the gaming division will be seeing all profits via the sell of games.

In the extremely, far-fetched, unlikely event that Sony does go bankrupt, huge companies like that just don't disappear...they break up, selling divisions, keep on going. Sony and it's gaming division will rock on.

Old 02-21-2014, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Once they get the player base established, the gaming division will be seeing all profits via the sell of games.

Sony and it's gaming division will rock on.
Please let me know when this has ever been the case.

They reported a profit only because of a few huge movies. That's not a good sign.

But you are right; companies like that don't just disappear.

Old 02-21-2014, 08:54 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,800,250 times
Quote:

What should I do?
You need to enter the world of PC gaming.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
You need to enter the world of PC gaming.
Hell no. Not for me. I like playing games on a big screen television in the living room with surround sound and a traditional controller. And I don't like dark, depressing, violent games that much either.

Old 02-21-2014, 10:02 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
Please let me know when this has ever been the case.

They reported a profit only because of a few huge movies. That's not a good sign.

But you are right; companies like that don't just disappear.
Not sure I understand your first question "ever been the case". Are you talking about selling the console and making the profit from the software? That's the common business model for all game console companies - Microsoft, Nintendo, Sony. I thought it was understood and obvious.

A perfect example is the PS2 - Sony introduced it's PS2 and took a loss of about $180 on each unit it sold in the begginng. I am not sure if that factored in R&D costs as well. In later years when they refined the technology and improved production I think they were getting a minimum profit or at least break even. But the real profits come from game licensing fees and PSN content, etc. Now, as it turns out, the PS2 was the most successful gaming console in history. They made tons of money, but not from sell of the system, they lost money on that, but from the games it sold.

The PS4 I think, Sony has been very aggressive with it's production costs. The BOM cost of the PS4 is almost equal to the retail price. But again, that doesn't include R&D costs, marketing costs, transportation costs, etc. The idea is to get the consoles into the homes of the consumer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games