Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 10:38 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,578,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severs View Post
Unfortunatly we are coming to an age where constant internet connections are becoming needed for games, even if they aren't played online. Skyrim, as far as I know, is not an online game, but the internet connection is to verify that your game is a legit copy. It is a form of piracy protection that a lot of games have been using for a while now. Some games require you to be online when you start the game every time, sometimes they require just the initial setup for verification and then it leaves you alone until your next install.

That's not to say I agree with the whole thing, I personally think its useless because when a game gets pirated, that is the first thing that is removed or bypassed. The only people that sort of "protection" affects is those who did buy the game. But that's a discussion that is neither here nor there with this topic.
Well, it's not an issue for me. I am fortunate enough to work IT at home and have a great solid/fast internet connection and as soon as I boot up my computer I start STEAM, Origin and Blizzard.net launcher. I usually keep my computer running 24/7 though so it's not as if I have to do it often. Being able to have all my games in one place and just click and play is great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2014, 11:24 AM

1,156 posts, read 1,968,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
Well, it's not an issue for me. I am fortunate enough to work IT at home and have a great solid/fast internet connection and as soon as I boot up my computer I start STEAM, Origin and Blizzard.net launcher. I usually keep my computer running 24/7 though so it's not as if I have to do it often. Being able to have all my games in one place and just click and play is great!
I myself am pretty much the same, but I do know people who are forced to use dial up because of where they live, and it is those people whom this type of DRM is unfair to. Want to play HL2? Someone using the phone? Well too bad for you. You'll have to wait. As close as we are we still aren't quite there technologically for this to be fair to the customer in all cases.

For that matter, there are places, like here, that high speed net, is still unreliable, due to one reason or another. Every couple of months Comcast screws something up and we have to fight for a remotely stable connection for up to a month, which can and has caused issues with thus type of DRM, preventing me from playing games I have legitimately purchased. Whereas one who pirated the same game doesn't have to worry about it because that DRM has been broken in one way or another.

Old 04-12-2014, 01:39 PM

8,665 posts, read 5,846,702 times
Quote:
Just out of curiosity, why don't you like 3D? The first Sims game was 3D.

The first Sims game was absolutely NOT 3-D! Both my daughter and I played the original sims for years,and when EA started announcing Sims 2... being in 3-D was one of the mentioned features. We both took note of the needed PC specs and made sure that our new systems would meet the requirements,since we both needed new systems anyway,and we bought Sims 2,hated it,unistalled it from our PCs and never looked back!

The Sims 2 [from wikipedia]

Main article: The Sims 2
Electronic Arts released The Sims 2 on September 14, 2004. The sequel, developed by Maxis, takes place in a full 3D environment as opposed to the dimetric projection of the original game

What we both hate is,for us it was far,far harder to build our simmie's homes with 3-D,it was almost impossible to find our toddlers,though we could hear them in the house.3-D is too disorienting.

I can't stand to even watch someone else play a 3-D game! Or at least not Sims in 3-D or Mario 64.Even my granddaughter who loved SNES,hated Nintendo 64 that she got as a gift with Mario 64,trying playing it a few times then never touched it again!

My son reminded me that I do often watch him play Assassin's Creed on his X-BOX,so maybe it depends on the game,because OMG I used to play and loved Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn,until my grandson got my lead character killed and I never had the heart to go through all that work again!

So disregard my objection to 3-D games,except for the two that I really hate,lol!

Last edited by i_love_autumn; 04-12-2014 at 02:05 PM..

Old 04-12-2014, 06:26 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,137,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
So disregard my objection to 3-D games,except for the two that I really hate,lol!
In the very beginning of Skyrim (as you are led to be beheaded) you get to choose your race and sex. You can custom design your character to look a little like yourself or (at least) your alter ego. One of the reasons why I really like this game is because it is a great value for the money - even if you paid full price (which you do not have to do today).

Non warriors might get a might get a little bored with all of the conflict? But it will not take too long for you to get involved in all of the quest (or not; if you do not choose to get involved). It is a big world with a lot of freedom if you desire.

There is lots of help online or you can buy the huge walkthrough - or just ask. Playing Skyrim PC has many advantages.

Old 04-12-2014, 10:17 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,450,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creature of the Wheel View Post
Steam is the only client I trust. I don't trust anything having to do with EA. That company doesn't deserve my money.
I tend to agree. I have been using Steam for years, with no problems. All the games (I have 19 in my Library) play without any problems.

I also have Arc, UPlay, and Origin game providers. All three offer very limited selection in games, and Origin flat out sucks. BioMass 3, by BioWare & EA, is the buggiest game I have ever played, and I have been playing PC games since 1979. I am truly astonished it was ever released. Dead Space, also by EA, from Origin will not allow you to change the keyboard bindings (as a lefty that is always important), and the mouse is so sloppy it feels like it is perpetually lagged into last week. Good thing it was free, because I could not play more than 5 minutes of it.

One thing is certain, I will not be purchasing any games from Origin in the future.

Old 04-13-2014, 04:53 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,846,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
In the very beginning of Skyrim (as you are led to be beheaded) you get to choose your race and sex. You can custom design your character to look a little like yourself or (at least) your alter ego. One of the reasons why I really like this game is because it is a great value for the money - even if you paid full price (which you do not have to do today).

Non warriors might get a might get a little bored with all of the conflict? But it will not take too long for you to get involved in all of the quest (or not; if you do not choose to get involved). It is a big world with a lot of freedom if you desire.

There is lots of help online or you can buy the huge walkthrough - or just ask. Playing Skyrim PC has many advantages.

Gameplay sounds much like the Baldur's Gate series by BioWare and Black Isle Studios,where you control a party of up to six characters with one as the lead protagonist that has skills,class,ability scores,appearance, ect that you choose.

What are the advantages you speak of for playing Skyrim PC? Will Skyrim run on the new WIN 8.1? When I upgrade to a new PC I will need some titles that will run on the newest Windows version.

Old 04-13-2014, 06:20 AM

Actually; I just checked and saw that Skyrim does have issues with 8.1 and maybe 8? Possibly they will straighten out the problems in the future? I played it on Vista and 7.

The advantages of the PC are cheats and mods. the Steam community has plenty of free mods. The cheats are a different story. I do not like to cheat the first time I play any game. However, if I want to do the game a second or third time; I will use cheats to take away the boredom of getting money or perking up.

Next time I find a great game for 8; I'll tell you. Sorry!

Old 04-13-2014, 07:58 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,578,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Actually; I just checked and saw that Skyrim does have issues with 8.1 and maybe 8? Possibly they will straighten out the problems in the future? I played it on Vista and 7.

The advantages of the PC are cheats and mods. the Steam community has plenty of free mods. The cheats are a different story. I do not like to cheat the first time I play any game. However, if I want to do the game a second or third time; I will use cheats to take away the boredom of getting money or perking up.

Next time I find a great game for 8; I'll tell you. Sorry!
Where did you hear that? A friend of mine has W8 and Skyrim works perfectly....

Old 04-14-2014, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Where did you hear that? A friend of mine has W8 and Skyrim works perfectly....
The Steam forum: Game won't play on Windows 8 :: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim General Discussions. I see more post about problems with 8.1 than 8:Skyrim Crashing to desktop on windows 8.1 [Solved] - Video+Games - Video Games.

There are some issues. There are obviously some people that have worked through the issues. I just did not want to recommend the game if there were any problems. It runs perfectly on my 7.

Old 04-14-2014, 05:30 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,994,915 times
The first link is over a year old, and the second is about a single person having an issue, hardly indicates a problem with 8.1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games