Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 07:52 PM

2,855 posts, read 10,406,271 times

Advertisements

We are buying a Wii Mini as a birthday gift for a 10 year old boy. What games should I get him? He is already getting MarioKart.

On his PS2 he really enjoyed Dragon Quest VIII. So he seems to enjoy games with turn based fighting. He also loves sports and lego's. He does play a Star Wars lego game on his DS.

Any suggestions for Wii games?

Also can MarioKart be played without the steering wheel or do we need to buy that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 02:27 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,584,739 times
If you are going Nintendo, you should be buying a WiiU. It's not the greatest, but it is the latest, and all the new games are being released on it.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:22 PM

3,935 posts, read 5,070,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
Also can MarioKart be played without the steering wheel or do we need to buy that?
Yes, Mario Kart Wii can be played without the WiiWheel. Just hold the WiiMote on it's side. However, if you'd like to purchase the wheel you can usually find it used for about 5 bucks.

Some good games to purchase are: Super Mario Galaxy 2, LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga, The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword and maybe New Super Mario Bros. Wii.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:10 PM

Thanks for the game suggestions. I looked into the Wii U but don't see the appeal, and certainly don't want to spend the money. I'm planning on buying the Wii used.

Old 04-18-2014, 12:08 AM

3,721 posts, read 7,804,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchief1 View Post
If you are going Nintendo, you should be buying a WiiU. It's not the greatest, but it is the latest, and all the new games are being released on it.
I agree. WiiU is what anything new will be released to, and it also still plays all Wii games as well. It is like two consoles in one. ONLY drawback is that it doesn't play Game Cube games like the original Wii did. (Actually later models of the Wii also don't allow for that. Stupid). And then there is the Virtual Console to which you can download games from older systems.

Old 04-18-2014, 12:27 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,631,330 times
Get him a 3DS XL instead. 3DS has plenty of turn based games and has plenty of interesting games including the Lego games and still releasing new games. It is backwards compatibility with DS games on the 3DS as well. Then you can get Mario Kart 7 for the 3DS. 3DS also includes Virtual Console mentioned above.

If you insist on sticking with the Wii, I also recommend Super Mario Galaxy 2. Punch Out is a underrated game. You have a few of Lego games on the Wii such as Batman, Indiana Jones, Star Wars and Lord of the Rings.

Old 04-18-2014, 12:58 PM

16,901 posts, read 16,053,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
Get him a 3DS XL instead. 3DS has plenty of turn based games and has plenty of interesting games including the Lego games and still releasing new games. It is backwards compatibility with DS games on the 3DS as well. Then you can get Mario Kart 7 for the 3DS. 3DS also includes Virtual Console mentioned above.

If you insist on sticking with the Wii, I also recommend Super Mario Galaxy 2. Punch Out is a underrated game. You have a few of Lego games on the Wii such as Batman, Indiana Jones, Star Wars and Lord of the Rings.

Isn't the 3DS XL a tiny little screen....where the Wii would be on the giant screen TV in your home?

Old 04-18-2014, 04:08 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,631,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post

Isn't the 3DS XL a tiny little screen....where the Wii would be on the giant screen TV in your home?
Who said anything about screen size?

and the 3DS XL screen is quite large for a handheld. The OP mentioned DS. I offer another suggestion.

Old 04-18-2014, 04:16 PM

3,935 posts, read 5,070,627 times
In my humble opinion, it's much wiser to purchase a GameCube compatible fat Wii than the newer Wii Mini. The fat Wii's support component cable output which makes the console's output look much nicer on an HDTV. You can also buy those cables dirt cheap at Monoprice.

6FT Audio Video ED Component Cable for Wii & Wii U - White (Net Jacket) - Monoprice.com

Old 04-18-2014, 07:55 PM

We arleady have the Wii mini..just still looking for games. I dont much care about the HDTV thing, I already read about that but I dont have any High Def Tv's in the house anyway so no biggie.

As far as the 3DS suggestion, he already has a DS and now we were looking for a wii because he plays it on the TV, not a handheld.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games