Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 06:36 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,967,175 times

Advertisements

What are you talking about "back in the day," we are still battling this "video games cause violence" issue today. In fact I believe this was just talked about fairly recently on here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2014, 11:07 AM

21,835 posts, read 25,102,289 times
I wasn't alive then. Oh wait, you said video games and not comic books. I apologize. I do indeed remember that.

Old 04-19-2014, 06:17 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,759,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
So should we suppress rated R movies for that reason as well then?
It's different. At least for me. I can be entertained by a violent or scary movie, but it is just a movie.

When you put that mouse and keyboard or controller in my hands, I'm engaged in what is going on. I feel real anxiety, stress and tension when my direct actions determine whether my avatar lives or dies. Of course not to the same levels if I really were in those situations but to a kid unable to focus on or do or occupy his life with anything else, I can see how it is a problem.

Old 04-19-2014, 06:49 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,926,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
It's different. At least for me. I can be entertained by a violent or scary movie, but it is just a movie.

When you put that mouse and keyboard or controller in my hands, I'm engaged in what is going on. I feel real anxiety, stress and tension when my direct actions determine whether my avatar lives or dies. Of course not to the same levels if I really were in those situations but to a kid unable to focus on or do or occupy his life with anything else, I can see how it is a problem.
Yes, I can agree with that; it's one of the reasons I enjoy gaming. It is much more engaging. But, what I'm saying is that kids shouldn't be playing games that are the equivalent of rated R movies in the first place. So I don't blame the game or the makers, but rather the parents. Because those games are intended for adults, just like rated R movies.

Old 04-19-2014, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
Yes, I can agree with that; it's one of the reasons I enjoy gaming. It is much more engaging. But, what I'm saying is that kids shouldn't be playing games that are the equivalent of rated R movies in the first place. So I don't blame the game or the makers, but rather the parents. Because those games are intended for adults, just like rated R movies.
The sad part is, most parents who buy these kind of games don't care enough to pay attention. Or the other end of the spectrum, they do pay attention, and couldn't care about any of it, they buy the ultra-violent stuff for their kids, whether it be games or movies... then wonder why their kids are so messed up.

Old 04-20-2014, 05:51 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severs View Post
The sad part is, most parents who buy these kind of games don't care enough to pay attention. Or the other end of the spectrum, they do pay attention, and couldn't care about any of it, they buy the ultra-violent stuff for their kids, whether it be games or movies... then wonder why their kids are so messed up.

First, Happy Easter,

I hate to blame all of those single parents - they have a very difficult job without our criticism. I think that many parents made a big mistake when the became parents - they never made the commitment to each other or to their offspring.

Then you have the kids themselves. How many kids use drugs before legal age. How many drink or smoke? When you were young did you do everything your parents told you? If there is something that you really want to get your hands on you will find a way.

Then you have our young adults that never had guidance - but can legally buy these games.

I am not pushing for restrictions. I do think that we have to keep a close eye on what is offered and how it possibly can affect our offspring.

Old 04-21-2014, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
First, Happy Easter,

I hate to blame all of those single parents - they have a very difficult job without our criticism. I think that many parents made a big mistake when the became parents - they never made the commitment to each other or to their offspring.

Then you have the kids themselves. How many kids use drugs before legal age. How many drink or smoke? When you were young did you do everything your parents told you? If there is something that you really want to get your hands on you will find a way.

Then you have our young adults that never had guidance - but can legally buy these games.

I am not pushing for restrictions. I do think that we have to keep a close eye on what is offered and how it possibly can affect our offspring.
They may have a difficult job, but trying to watch what your kids play/watch is part of it. And you cannot have it both ways, if you buy game X for him/her, you cannot blame anyone but yourself for the consequences. And sure, they could always go to their friends place to play, however you can still control what is in your own house and what they play there. To blame the game companies is rather stupid when the ratings are there and have recommended ages for play listed right on the box. Most stores will not sell rated M games to minors without an adult present, so adults are still buying said games for the children in the long run, and therefore the blame still rests with those who buy the game originally.

Old 04-21-2014, 04:25 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
Quote:
They may have a difficult job, but trying to watch what your kids play/watch is part of it. And you cannot have it both ways, if you buy game X for him/her, you cannot blame anyone but yourself for the consequences. And sure, they could always go to their friends place to play, however you can still control what is in your own house and what they play there. To blame the game companies is rather stupid when the ratings are there and have recommended ages for play listed right on the box. Most stores will not sell rated M games to minors without an adult present, so adults are still buying said games for the children in the long run, and therefore the blame still rests with those who buy the game originally.
I work with single parents and I know that they cannot always be there for their kids. It should not be that way. I have been married for 46 years and I was there, when needed, when our son was growing up - but that does not happen today. What happens when the 18 year old baby sitter brings the X game into the house? Sometimes friends of the kids will make available these games. Here are the numbers of kids using illicit drugs in HS: DrugFacts: High School and Youth Trends | National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) - don't forget that, even if they were over 18, it is still illegal. So, for the sake of argument, lets pretend that about one fifth of our kids have tried X video games before they reached 18 - that 1/5th is going to put pier pressure on the 4/5ths.

Regardless whether an individual is legal age or not; I still think that some can be affected. Not all of us are cut from the same cloth. We have had copy-cat cases of murders and atrocities - with and without video games. Anything can or potentially influence another. I just don't think you can say it will never happen.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:31 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
Quote:
What are you talking about "back in the day," we are still battling this "video games cause violence" issue today. In fact I believe this was just talked about fairly recently on here.
I think he is talking about the early 90's issues and controversy with "Mortal Kombat", and before that, with the video game "NightTrap". For awhile it was in the news quite a bit. Later it lead into the video game rating system. Of course the contreversty still exists today.

I find it ironic that a previous poster indicated it was a "conservatives" party issue when the early 90's issue was introduced by then Democratic Senator Joe Lieberman and Herbert Kohl, and seems to emulate the tactics used in the "family values" campaign of Tipper Gore, wife of later Democratic VP Al Gore.

Nowadays unfortunetly politicians (from both parties) are misdiagnosing video game violence as a factor in youth and school violence. They are missing the cause, and addressing a symptom (similar to gun control). A violent or mentally ill youth will be attracted to video games. Video game itself will not create a violent or mentally ill youth. Why do politicians make this mistake? Because it's a populist issue, it's easy to legislate, and it makes politicians look like they are doing something, and thus it gets them re-elected.

So now you have the video game rating system, which is not a bad idea because it gives parents a guide in what is suitable for there children. Indeed, game like Grand Theft Auto should not be played by children. But how can you legislate good parent behavior? You can't, not and continue to live in a land that values freedom and liberty. Neither do we want a nanny-state culture like Singapore where violent video games are banned for "the good of society". That won't work here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
I think that for the most part, the conservatives have realized the more they complain about this stuff, the more money the companies make. Sure, they get their dander up every once and a while but it seems to have died down..
Totally without a clue. See above...

Old 04-21-2014, 09:18 AM

84 posts, read 87,508 times
Default 3D impresses

I think modern 3d-games may be more dangerous because they are more realistic.
You can compare two military games, from 1980s

and from 2010s

I wouldn't play the second game before I go to bed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games