Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 02:20 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,612,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornOver View Post
I got it. The classic baserunning is broken, it's unplayable for me.
What's wrong with the base running?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 11:56 PM

2,533 posts, read 4,602,805 times
Well after playing a few warmup spring training games I started my season with the Braves tonight with Medlen throwing a complete game shutout in a 4-0 win over the Brewers at Miller Park.

I had Venters and Kimbrel ready in the 8th and 9th in case Medlen faltered but he came through with a 109 pitch masterpiece scattering 5 hits and recording 7 K's.

Dan Uggla blasted a solo HR to the 2nd deck in left field to put the Braves on the scoreboard in the early innings.

Here's the pre-game and 1st inning footage. Try to remember it's not an actual TV broadcast.

MLB® 14: The Show PS4 Braves vs Brewers- YouTube

This game just wins!

Old 05-14-2014, 09:10 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,612,994 times
The footage does look nice, but I have a little bit of a problem with the amount of lead up time to actually playing the game. I guess it does immerse you, but I just like playing the game not hearing 5 minutes of stats before something happens.

Old 05-14-2014, 09:12 AM

810 posts, read 1,025,186 times
I'm assuming you can skip all that pregame stuff... or can you?

Old 05-14-2014, 09:37 AM

3,517 posts, read 5,316,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
Ahh, yes, the same things that used to frustrate me in modern baseball games are still there...

Repetitive animations (how many times have you seen a guy kink their neck during the national anthem if you watched it through each time?)

Infield grounders that are somehow basehits

Almost impossible double plays

Absolutely no indication of where the ball is going to be pitched

Rare homeruns

Sounds GREAT

Give me Baseball Stars or RBI Baseball. Anyone played RBI Baseball 14?

Old 05-14-2014, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
The footage does look nice, but I have a little bit of a problem with the amount of lead up time to actually playing the game. I guess it does immerse you, but I just like playing the game not hearing 5 minutes of stats before something happens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tongyang View Post
I'm assuming you can skip all that pregame stuff... or can you?
To answer you both... Yes you can skip it. I chose not to because I was recording a video... But you most certainly can bypass the pregame... stats... animations... and replays with a push of a button.

Not a huge deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
Ahh, yes, the same things that used to frustrate me in modern baseball games are still there

Infield grounders that are somehow basehits

Almost impossible double plays

Absolutely no indication of where the ball is going to be pitched
I turned a DP last night... And beat out another. I don't recall any BS plays. The hitting is challenging. The guess pitch feature (you can see the red area of the strike zone light up when I correctly guessed the pitch and location) rewards you with better odds of a hit but other than that you are swinging without knowing the pitch that is coming. Kinda like real life baseball?

I ended the game with 4 runs on 8 hits... 1 walk and 1 HR. I struck out 5 times. That's pretty realistic to me... Unless you are looking for a game where you score 15 runs on 25 hits every game?

This is the best (and only) next gen baseball game.

I give it a 9.5/10. I'm deducting .5 because of the load times. That can be a little slow. Otherwise no complaints. It's well worth the $60. I haven't tried online yet... Want to get better at the game before I test those waters.

Old 05-14-2014, 10:58 AM

3,517 posts, read 5,316,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
Kinda like real life baseball?
But that's always been the problem; it's not truly 3 dimensional. People can't tell depth from a screen as good as they can in real life. There should always be an indicator of some sort. I'd almost do a fade in marker that rewards you for connecting.

I play for hits and homeruns. If I'm going to play a game like that, I want to get hits and homeruns, steal bases, turn DPs. I want to get every player like Jeter or Arod. Unless they are just awful players.

Back 15 years ago, I played Tony LaRussa Baseball II on PC. I would play in the short stadiums, jack up the wind to blowing out 35 MPH and watch the balls fly. MWHAHAHAHAHA! I think I ended the season once with someone with 80+ homeruns. Now THAT is fun!

Old 05-14-2014, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
But that's always been the problem; it's not truly 3 dimensional. People can't tell depth from a screen as good as they can in real life. There should always be an indicator of some sort. I'd almost do a fade in marker that rewards you for connecting.

Back 15 years ago, I played Tony LaRussa Baseball II on PC. I would play in the short stadiums, jack up the wind to blowing out 35 MPH and watch the balls fly. MWHAHAHAHAHA! I think I ended the season once with someone with 80+ homeruns. Now THAT is fun!
To each their own. I'm more of a simulation player who wants a realistic simulation. I don't expect to hit 70 HRs... and if I did I would question the game difficulty.

I played through a few spring training games and game 1 of my 162 game season. If I go 152-10 I'll be disappointed. I don't expect that to happen though. 95 wins with the Braves would be good. It doesn't mean I will try to lose... I just expect to lose a few here and there. That's how MLB is... Every team wins 60 and loses 60... It's what you do the other 42 games that determines your season.

As far as the hitting.... You do have a location option. Look for the parentheses on each side of the strike zone. You raise and lower it with the right stick to swing high or low based on pitch location. Move it with the stick and hit the button for either your contact or power swing when the ball enters the zone. That's about as good as you can expect from a video game.

Sony did a good job. The game is solid and very well done. I will stand by what I've said for months... I paid $400 for the PS4 because I wanted this game. No regrets either... I'm quite happy with both.

Old 05-17-2014, 11:32 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,081,106 times
Interesting thread. The Show was the only reason why I bought a PS3. I've been playing baseball games since Reggie Jackson Baseball for the Sega Master System.

I'll wait for next years version to see if I want to jump into the PS4 or not. I just sold my PS3 a couple months ago.

I've seen some game play videos online and it seems that the makers haven't taken full advantage of the power of the PS4 but that's understandable because of how new the system is.

A complaint about The Show is the announcers. Has it been improved? Pet peeves of mine were the ball physics and how outfielders would get a sudden turbo boost to catch fly balls.

Do the crowds look better?

Does the ball boy/girl animation bring more realism?

Old 05-18-2014, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
Interesting thread. The Show was the only reason why I bought a PS3. I've been playing baseball games since Reggie Jackson Baseball for the Sega Master System.

I'll wait for next years version to see if I want to jump into the PS4 or not. I just sold my PS3 a couple months ago.

I've seen some game play videos online and it seems that the makers haven't taken full advantage of the power of the PS4 but that's understandable because of how new the system is.

A complaint about The Show is the announcers. Has it been improved? Pet peeves of mine were the ball physics and how outfielders would get a sudden turbo boost to catch fly balls.

Do the crowds look better?

Does the ball boy/girl animation bring more realism?

It's worth getting a PS4 now if you like The Show. Even if they haven't taken full advantage of the PS4 yet I can tell you that the game looks 100% better than the PS3 version. The crowds look 1000000 times better. It's no longer the same 4 or 5 different animations in the stands... now you see hundreds. The ball boy/girl is a nice touch... as the creators said the one thing they do is pay attention to the details in this game.

The announcing is better... as well as the in game replays and analysis. It rivals TV broadcast quality. It looks that good.

As I've said, I give it a 9.5/10 with my only complaint being the load times. Otherwise the game is flawless. I'm currently playing season mode with my hometown Braves and created a Road to the Show player and signed with my local Mariners. I wanted the best of both worlds.

I haven't tried online yet... that part has never really interested me although I'll probably check it out at some point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games