Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 09:52 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,318,080 times

Advertisements

I certainly am. I moved on after Halo 3 because I felt the game was being overtaken by kids and Bungie coddled them more than the adults with actual money to spend. They removed my favorite matchmaking gametypes, which pissed me off to no end. But regardless, it's going to be a nice nostalgic trip with this game and I am ready for it. It's going to be difficult choosing between CoD:AW and MCC seeing as though their release dates are a week apart, but I'm sure I'll deal!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2014, 09:20 PM

What's with you people? lol Greatest FPS since Counterstrike/HL and no one here is interested?!?!?!?!?! BAH!

Old 09-23-2014, 12:22 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,728,669 times
Greatest ? I beg to differ
I have never, and I tried, understood the fascination with Halo. I admit I only played it a bit, but I saw a lot of gameplay and .. well, it all seemed a bit too arcade'y and silly to me-and I used to play the 1st Unreal Tournament a lot, and it was a silly game.
Seriously, as a PC gamer, I've played a ton of various fps shooters, still play - and Halo seemed just ...well, generic ? Please enlighten the ignorant one, what is so special about it ? I really want to know what is it that I'm missing.
Yac.

Old 09-23-2014, 05:20 AM

I think most gamers would agree with my thoughts that it is the second best FPS of all time. People use the term generic to describe FPS games although I'm never sure what they meant. A great story and solid multiplayer is all you need.

Old 09-23-2014, 07:06 AM

But essentially, great graphics, gameplay, a story that immersed you, great engine, music. It had everything maxed to the highest quality. Throw in some physics that resulted in some great comic relief and overall a great time with friends. It was solid, consistent, and fun.

Some may argue that it's the best, but I understand that Counterstrike and Half Life really made the modern day online FPS genre after Goldeneye 64 taught us how to do it first.

Old 09-23-2014, 07:57 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,728,669 times
Did it do anything.. well, different ? Introduce new mechanics ?
I ask because if I asked my friends, and I know quite a few gamers, I doubt any of them would name Halo, not as the best but even among the best. I'm a Pole, living in Poland and from what I can see, this series was hugely popular in the states and not that popular on this side of the pond. And till this day, I don't know why.

Old 09-23-2014, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yac View Post
I ask because if I asked my friends, and I know quite a few gamers, I doubt any of them would name Halo, not as the best but even among the best. I'm a Pole, living in Poland and from what I can see, this series was hugely popular in the states and not that popular on this side of the pond. And till this day, I don't know why.
Physics were new, from my understanding. The elevated jump, variety of weapons, ragdoll physics, and vehicle mechanics were fresh at the time.

It may be that it was just more popular over here rather than across the globe, but that's understandable. Each region has their different preferences for the most part.

Old 09-23-2014, 11:12 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,409,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yac View Post
From gamers in Ireland/US I can say that I know only 2 people that say Halo is the best FPS. There is a whole host of nostlalgic FPS and current FPS that would be in front of it. I played Halo a bit and didnt like it.

Old 09-23-2014, 03:05 PM

Okay, best console FPS! Haha

For PC gaming, FPS games are a dime a dozen and given all of people's preferences, it probably has no shot!

Old 09-23-2014, 09:40 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,916,177 times
Probably not. I had a lot of great memories of Halo 2, 3, and Reach but none of my friends play Halo anymore. I'm completely burned out of COD, didn't even buy Ghosts and sold Halo 4 a long time ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games