Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 03:23 PM

169 posts, read 678,750 times

Advertisements

Boy am I glad my store isn't getting any in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2006, 10:27 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,083,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgrl View Post
I'd love to buy one but I'll be waiting at least a year for them to drop in price. That's what we do every time a new system comes out. Everyone in my house is an avid gamer and there are sooo many great looking games coming out for the ps3. I'd never stand in line and pay full release price for anything though.

Hello sirs, I agree! I would never wait 3 days in line The only reason I can see if you can resell it for a big profit to someone whod rather pay double than wait 3 days. Its your time or money. Whats the hurry? Give it a month and once the hype dies down, you can buy one with a 5 minute wait at the checkout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathersmom View Post
Okay-my husband and son were sooooo exited over this but then I read in the news that PS3 is not going to be adaptable to PS2 games--and thats what my h/s were all excited over- being able to use all their games...what do you all know about this???????

It will play most ps1 and ps2 games but not all. But oh well you can buy a ps2 system cheap today which will play all ps1 and ps2 games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey View Post
I just peeked in at ebay. The current highest bid out there is just over $3000 (and there are 2 at that price!) and there are several more for over $2000. This just BLOWS MY MIND!

Waiting 3 days in line may be worth it when you can make $1500 profit!

Quote:
A Best Buy in Boston, aware it had only 140 of the consoles, got smart about the big sale - its employees gave out tickets to the first 140 people in line so everyone could go home until the store opened.

Smart move. This saves everyone time and no one will need to fight for the spot.

I still find it crazy theres such a big hype about ps3. Who cares, just wait a month or better yet a year and buy one cheap.

Old 11-18-2006, 07:20 AM

2,815 posts, read 12,984,955 times
Thank goodness that doesn't interest me in the least! I got all hooked into Sim City a few years ago and found myself playing it long into the early morning hours without even having been awhile of the time passing. I had to force myself to stop as it interfered with getting enough sleep and made work days awfully long. Those games are very addictive. I like them...but I'm not going out of my way to get them...and no way I'm paying $600 for them.

Old 11-18-2006, 07:46 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,625,518 times
I spoke to an old veteran friend of mine yesterday. He made a humorous statement about this play station thing and people waiting on lines for them that I wanted to share. He said if these people wanted to play war games and role playing games so badly they should go visit our old D.I., they won't have to stand on line and uncle sam won't charge them a dime to play. As a bonus it would be as real as it could be.

Old 11-18-2006, 01:02 PM

169 posts, read 678,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
But oh well you can buy a ps2 system cheap today which will play all ps1 and ps2 games.
The ps2 slim will not play ps1 games that read as a blue disc. There isn't a fix for the problem, so I always tell anyone wanting to buy a ps2 to go with the original and not the slim. It's not really much bigger than the other, has fewer bugs and plays all ps1 games.

Oh and my store announced this morning at a "Black Friday Meeting" that we won't be getting any ps3s before Christmas. I was overjoyed! One less headache for me working retail during the holiday season.

Old 11-18-2006, 01:26 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,230,359 times
speedyaz, did your get your ps3's?

There are now 21,678 of them on e-bay. Prices are better today, with most of them under $1,500.

I can't imagine waiting in line for days for an item, just to turn around and auction it off. I won't wait more than 10 minutes to be seated at a nice restaurant.

Old 11-18-2006, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey View Post

There are now 21,678 of them on e-bay. Prices are better today, with most of them under $1,500.

I can't imagine waiting in line for days for an item, just to turn around and auction it off. I won't wait more than 10 minutes to be seated at a nice restaurant.
I don't wait too long for service either Evey. If the line is too long or the wait too long at a restaurant, I leave...unless the host or hostess are so ingratiating and charming that they make me feel valued enough to wait...which I can be bribed to do if charmed enough...
But otherwise...forget it. I'm the guy who will shop in the grocery store, get a full shopping cart full of the things I need, spend an hour in the store gathering everything...strain to push the cart which has gotten heavy during my hoarding...get to the check out lines and if there aren't enough checkers or the lines are moving so slowly and they refuse to open more lines, or...you see checkers standing around and not paying attention or ignoring the customers...I'll abandon the cart right there and then and walk out. I've done it maybe 10 times over the years and that's my F.U. to stores who don't value my time or servicing their customers! I remember once as well I'd decided to buy a diamond cross for Christmas as a present and I wanted a cross with large diamonds...I mean a spectacular piece that would draw gasps in the 2-3 carat total diamond weight range and in a higher diamond quality. I had already mentally committed to spending the money for it. I went into the jeweler I wanted to buy it at and was IGNORED!!!! I looked around, walked the counters, paused to stare intently at displays so that it would be clear that I was there for a reason..no one greeted me, no one said "hello", no one said, one moment please, I'll be right with you, no "I'm sorry, just a moment Sir", no nothing... So, I walked out and went elsewhere. Same thing happened in a lighting store. I was looking for a crystal chandelier to hang from an 18ft. ceiling in my Las Vegas house and it had to be right. I saw what I wanted in one lighting store, a very nice store, and the chandelier I was attracted to was $3000, a beautiful unique chandelier that looked like the clearest ice, gobs of rainbows coursing through it. The sales people couldn't be bothered to approach or acknowledge me. I walked out and went to LampsPlus (where the service was instant) instead and dropped $2000 on a James Moder chandelier that I liked just as much. I'll bet those sales people all got commissions and they couldn't be bothered to even acknowledge I existed!

Last edited by MoMark; 11-18-2006 at 02:16 PM..

Old 11-18-2006, 03:16 PM

3,377 posts, read 14,625,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
I don't wait too long for service either Evey. If the line is too long or the wait too long at a restaurant, I leave...unless the host or hostess are so ingratiating and charming that they make me feel valued enough to wait...which I can be bribed to do if charmed enough...
But otherwise...forget it. I'm the guy who will shop in the grocery store, get a full shopping cart full of the things I need, spend an hour in the store gathering everything...strain to push the cart which has gotten heavy during my hoarding...get to the check out lines and if there aren't enough checkers or the lines are moving so slowly and they refuse to open more lines, or...you see checkers standing around and not paying attention or ignoring the customers...I'll abandon the cart right there and then and walk out. I've done it maybe 10 times over the years and that's my F.U. to stores who don't value my time or servicing their customers! I remember once as well I'd decided to buy a diamond cross for Christmas as a present and I wanted a cross with large diamonds...I mean a spectacular piece that would draw gasps in the 2-3 carat total diamond weight range and in a higher diamond quality. I had already mentally committed to spending the money for it. I went into the jeweler I wanted to buy it at and was IGNORED!!!! I looked around, walked the counters, paused to stare intently at displays so that it would be clear that I was there for a reason..no one greeted me, no one said "hello", no one said, one moment please, I'll be right with you, no "I'm sorry, just a moment Sir", no nothing... So, I walked out and went elsewhere. Same thing happened in a lighting store. I was looking for a crystal chandelier to hang from an 18ft. ceiling in my Las Vegas house and it had to be right. I saw what I wanted in one lighting store, a very nice store, and the chandelier I was attracted to was $3000, a beautiful unique chandelier that looked like the clearest ice, gobs of rainbows coursing through it. The sales people couldn't be bothered to approach or acknowledge me. I walked out and went to LampsPlus (where the service was instant) instead and dropped $2000 on a James Moder chandelier that I liked just as much. I'll bet those sales people all got commissions and they couldn't be bothered to even acknowledge I existed!
I routinely do the same. My local Wegmans supermarket (which is a great store by the way) has a bad habit of not policing themselves as well (people eating candy from the self serve,eating fruit, mislabeling their fruit and vegetable purchases, etc.), at Wegmans you bag your own produce, weigh it, punch in the code for the item and it prints your label to put on the bag. I have seen people using wrong codes or weighing there lightest item and using that as the weight for other more expensive, heavier items. If I stop in for a couple of items I obviously head over to the 15 items or less line. It amazes me on how many people can't count to fifteen. Now don't get me wrong if you have twenty items I'm not going to have a coronary it's not an issue, but there is a big difference between 15 and 40. I've asked the checkout people about it and the feeling I get is management dosen't want them to confront the customers about an issue like that. On a few occasions I've actually brought my basket to the service desk and told them why i was leaving the store. They have always apologized and I probably come off looking like a jerk to them. I will add that I am never rude. But I agree if a business don't appreciate my shopping at their store my money is just as green elsewhere. I also had a similar incident a few years back at a local car dealership (Caddy, Buick, B.M.W., now just B.M.W.) I was out one day helping a friend install a deck. I was pretty dirty, sweaty and my pants had holes in them. I stopped in to ask about a used Buick they had on their lot. There were two (I assume) salesman talking to a very well dressed gentleman about the purchase of B.M.W. I got in eyesight and I know they looked at me but didn't acknowledge my presence. I stood around for about 5 minutes and realized no one was going to help me. I made it a point to find the managers office and told him about my displeasure. He said he could get a salesman to help me in a second. I informed him that I could probably buy any vehicle on his lot with cash, but wouldn't do business with them if they had the last car on the planet. Again I'm sure I looked like an idiot when I said that but I had a point to make. He followed me out while apologizing, I told him I'm sure if I came in wearing a business suit he wouldn't have a need to apologize.

Old 11-18-2006, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
I routinely do the same. My local Wegmans supermarket (which is a great store by the way) has a bad habit of not policing themselves as well (people eating candy from the self serve,eating fruit, mislabeling their fruit and vegetable purchases, etc.), at Wegmans you bag your own produce, weigh it, punch in the code for the item and it prints your label to put on the bag. I have seen people using wrong codes or weighing there lightest item and using that as the weight for other more expensive, heavier items. If I stop in for a couple of items I obviously head over to the 15 items or less line. It amazes me on how many people can't count to fifteen. Now don't get me wrong if you have twenty items I'm not going to have a coronary it's not an issue, but there is a big difference between 15 and 40. I've asked the checkout people about it and the feeling I get is management dosen't want them to confront the customers about an issue like that. On a few occasions I've actually brought my basket to the service desk and told them why i was leaving the store. They have always apologized and I probably come off looking like a jerk to them. I will add that I am never rude. But I agree if a business don't appreciate my shopping at their store my money is just as green elsewhere. I also had a similar incident a few years back at a local car dealership (Caddy, Buick, B.M.W., now just B.M.W.) I was out one day helping a friend install a deck. I was pretty dirty, sweaty and my pants had holes in them. I stopped in to ask about a used Buick they had on their lot. There were two (I assume) salesman talking to a very well dressed gentleman about the purchase of B.M.W. I got in eyesight and I know they looked at me but didn't acknowledge my presence. I stood around for about 5 minutes and realized no one was going to help me. I made it a point to find the managers office and told him about my displeasure. He said he could get a salesman to help me in a second. I informed him that I could probably buy any vehicle on his lot with cash, but wouldn't do business with them if they had the last car on the planet. Again I'm sure I looked like an idiot when I said that but I had a point to make. He followed me out while apologizing, I told him I'm sure if I came in wearing a business suit he wouldn't have a need to apologize.
Good for you! Another bad service rebel!

Old 11-18-2006, 10:09 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,695,418 times
Quote:
Unfortunately no. Stood in line for the better part of 7 hours but it didn't help. The funny was that when I was walking to my car, someone approached me and told me they'd "give it away" for $2000....I laughed in their oh-so-smug face. I will find one hopefully two before Christmas...somehow (and I won't pay over $1000 for it).

Quote:
I do believe people should dress appropriately for the occasion. If I was going to buy a new car (which I'm in the process of doing), I won't wear an old pair of jeans and a sweaty t-shirt and if I did, I'd expect them to laugh me out of the store. People will respect you more if you dress to impress. I can understand the situation but would've it been hard to go home and change?

You wouldn't need to put on anything fancy but something appropriate. I don't wear my Hugo Boss suit when I'm going to Walmart but I also won't wear my old shirt and jeans when I go there either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games