Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which generation of consoles has aged the best
8-Bit (NES, Sega Master System) 8 30.77%
16-Bit (SNES, Sega Genesis) 10 38.46%
32/64-Bit (Playstation, N64, Sega Saturn) 8 30.77%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 06:27 AM

1,413 posts, read 1,291,279 times

Advertisements

My very early days of gaming were spent on the Atari 2500, but I'd say my formative gaming years were spent on the NES, SNES, and Sega Genesis. I continued playing video games quite a bit until the current generation. With two young children at home my time is pretty short and my Xbox One collects a lot of dust.

When I have time I really like going back and playing some of my favorite games from the past, as well as playing some that I missed along the way. One thing I've noticed is that I gravitate towards the SNES. It is my contention that the 16-bit generation has aged better than any other, and that this will probably be true for a long, long time. I'm including more recent systems such as the PS3/Xbox 360 in that assertion. I would also add that I feel that NES has also aged well, just not quite to the same level as the SNES.

I think there are a few reasons for this.

1. Games were 2D, and I think 16-bit graphics were perfect in two dimensions. When I go back and turn on Super Mario World, A Link to the Past, or Earthbound, the games still look beautiful and fresh to me. Going back to any 3D game from a previous generation I think the games generally look terrible and don't age well at all.
2. The controllers become more advanced than the 8-bit generation. With more buttons as well as the shoulder buttons added it was easier to build in more control.
3. Gameplay still had to be a main focus due to the limitations of technology.
4. The 32/64-bit generation was the real beginning of 3D gaming on consoles. When I go back and play some of those games the controls feel clunky and the camera placement is often awkward.

What is your opinion on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2016, 07:43 PM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Really think it's the PS1. This was the first generation where you had a lot of adult themes, with the graphics and music and immersion to make the games seem logical and real.

Old 07-18-2016, 02:21 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,901,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Really think it's the PS1. This was the first generation where you had a lot of adult themes, with the graphics and music and immersion to make the games seem logical and real.
I concur.

This was the beginning of 3d gaming as we know it.

Old 07-20-2016, 11:59 PM

1,544 posts, read 924,567 times
I'd say the 16-bit era; many games of that generation still have that replay value.

Old 07-21-2016, 07:52 AM

1,413 posts, read 1,291,279 times
I'm also curious to know how old everyone is and I wonder how that might affect opinions. The 16 bit generation peaked during my later childhood and early teenage years, so that may be part of the reason I have such a fondness for it.

Old 07-23-2016, 03:01 PM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clawsondude View Post
I'm also curious to know how old everyone is and I wonder how that might affect opinions. The 16 bit generation peaked during my later childhood and early teenage years, so that may be part of the reason I have such a fondness for it.
I had an NES and SNES as a kid. Don't remember much of anything about the NES era and the SNES era slightly.

I'm 30 now and was 10 when Super Mario 64 came out. Got a PS1 sometime after that and started playing all the JRPGs. I played Chrono Trigger on SNES, but that, Donkey Kong, and the Mario World games are the only memorable games there for me.

The PS1 RPGs really get me in the feels.

Old 07-24-2016, 05:37 PM

68 posts, read 105,361 times
Since 8-bit retro gaming is huge now, the 8-bit generation.

Old 08-22-2016, 06:29 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,238,064 times
As someone who was "of age" (i.e. not a little, early elementary school kid) during all three generations (and to some degree even during the Atari 2600/Intellivision era, which peaked when I was mid-to-late elementary school), I'd say the 16-bit, Genesis/SNES era. The 32/64-bit era was the first to largely use 3D graphics (though there were a couple of 3D titles in the 16-bit era, like Virtua Racing for the Genesis and Star Fox for the SNES), and graphics have obviously improved dramatically over the last three generations. That era also introduced more complex game play that reduced the "pick up and play" qualities of the previous generations. On the other hand, the 16-bit era games looked much better than 8-bit era games and in most cases had more depth to them. It was also during the 16-bit era that sports gaming really became a major genre, largely due to Electronic Arts and the companies that competed with EA, particularly Sega. There were good sports games before the 16-bit era, but generally there were only 1-2 games on a given system for a particular sport during the entire era (both NES/Sega Master System/Atari 7800 era and Atari 2600/Intellivision/Atari 5200/Colecovision era) that were reasonably good, if that. In the 16-bit era, or more specifically by about 1992 or 1993, excellent sports games were coming out every year, including multiple good games for multiple sports many years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games