Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 11:05 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,125,351 times

Advertisements

A wonderful system!

Just think: all the Mario Brothers games are on it and now, for the first time, you can save your game! Awesome!

I have the original console and about 175 games and yet I will still be buying this new system!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2016, 11:25 AM

540 posts, read 1,096,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Looks like Sega's doing their own thing in response.

The good old days when those two went at each other.

The Genesis clone systems from At Games have been out for a while now. There are several variants, including one that is a big arcade style joystick and a portable one that is similar to the Nomad that even has an SD card slot so you can pop in what ever ROMs you want.

My wife got me one of the Genesis clones for last Christmas from Target. A good 40 of the 80 built in games are crappy homebrew stuff, but the other ones are solid. There are even a few rarities thrown in like Golden Axe 3, which was never released in the US. It also plays cartridges, including Genesis, Japanese/European Mega Drive, the odd shaped EA ones, bootlegs/repros, etc. But it doesn't play carts with special chips like Virtua Racing or flash carts/everdrives, so I will probably get a real Genesis at some point, especially since the sound emulation isn't as good and the composite cords only allow for mono.

Old 07-27-2016, 12:45 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,523,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
In November, Nintendo is releasing a miniature NES that comes with 30 built-in games. Most of these games are the vintage games us old fogeys used to play, such as Donkey Kong and Galaga. It will not be able to connect to the internet and no more games can be added or will be released for the system. I am very excited about it. I don't play video games at all anymore, but it brings back fond memories about playing video games in the arcade and at home, when it was simple and before the internet made it more complicated than I desired. I want that feeling back, and would love to get back in the swing of things and die repeatedly trying to level up on Super Mario Bros. So my wife and I (she's in her early 50s and I'm almost 40) think it will be a lot of fun. It will play the games it advertises, that's all, and that's all it will ever do. You can snag the system for a mere $59.99. I'm going to buy one. What do you think about it?

Nintendo is releasing a miniature NES with 30 built-in games | The Verge
Oddly my wife has a lot of interesting in this little device. I know that many of these games are on Nintendo's virtual console list, but there is something to be said about the video game industry becoming to hard to deal with. The NES was out during a time when it was the king of the hill until the Sega Genesis came out. In those days to play with a friend they had to come over or you had to go to their home. Retro gaming has a place in the gaming industry and the industry is not really capitalizing on it. The only concern I see with this NES Classic Edition is its not upgrade-able and Nintendo will most likely release a Super NES version of the plug and play.

Old 07-27-2016, 12:55 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,523,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
Galaga is just a poor man's Galaxian. And no Burgertime? WTF?
BLASPHEMY!! Galaga is a classic.

Old 07-28-2016, 07:49 AM

540 posts, read 1,096,726 times
Galaga is the official sequel to Galaxian and is better in every way IMO. No double ship in Galaxian

Old 07-28-2016, 07:53 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Galaga rules!!!!!!

Old 07-28-2016, 07:53 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,838,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter31
Yeah, I'm much happier with my cloned system I bought. It allows me to play all of MY old games, not the games that Nintendo deems worthy of putting in the system.
I hear ya!

I didnt ever really like Nintendo but the atari 2600 and coleco I have I would much rather play ON THE CONSOLES! (Games look better,etc)

Old 07-28-2016, 08:02 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
I hear ya!

I didnt ever really like Nintendo but the atari 2600 and coleco I have I would much rather play ON THE CONSOLES! (Games look better,etc)
I have an Atari 2600.

And a bunch of games. My ex gave it to me bc mine couldn't be transported overseas in the 80s.
But I don't have River Raid, so what's the point?

Old 08-17-2016, 11:17 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,912,524 times
if graphics mattered then minecraft would never have sold itself for billions of dollars and people wouldn't play it.

Old 08-17-2016, 11:48 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,825,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
A wonderful system!

Just think: all the Mario Brothers games are on it and now, for the first time, you can save your game! Awesome!

I have the original console and about 175 games and yet I will still be buying this new system!
Same here Roosty! Same here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games