Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 06:30 AM

2,802 posts, read 3,187,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yac View Post
I don't know. Really, it seems to me like one of those games you really have to get into and lately I've been more of a casual player, and No man's sky seemed perfect for me - no rush, little competition (unless you want some)... seemed. Right now it seems that if I want to enjoy it, I'll have to wait for those patches
I'll play NMS in about a year or more..........if there's support for it by that time. EVE does require an awful lot of your time. I haven't played it in over 4 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2016, 02:29 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,271,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by komodozer View Post
In any event, I hope procedural generation is a feature that game developers begin aggressively incorporating into future games...it just needs to be balanced out with variety and lots of manually-created content.
Procedural generation has it's place and it's kind of been and gone.

Elite was the first real game that used it, more recently Borderlands used PG for weapons and loot. The issue is that the product is very samey over the long haul, there are only so many parameters and only so many variations, and after you've picked up or visited that 1000 item or place it all blends into the same kind of thing. Take Borderlands item gen, there are only 8 manufacturers of weapons, and if you pick up a Vladof you're pretty sure what the stats are based on your level, there may be some cool different elemental aspect, but in the main a Vladof is a Vladof is a Vladof, and when you find unique items, they're clearly unique and placed.

PG is actually a really cheap and cheerful way to generate seeming variation without a lot of thought, however all it kinds to do is generate lots of similar things that are uninteresting in the long term.

Old 08-25-2016, 08:03 AM

NMS's player base has dropped 88%.

I think, at the rate it's going, it won't have really any support a year from now. It's sad since it looked like it could have been a promising game if done right. I wouldn't be surprised if EA or some other large company buys Hello Games in the future, or they just sink into the abyss and forgotten.

Old 08-26-2016, 01:06 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,759,131 times
Weird, I willingly gave $60 with no reservations in buying an unfinished game for Star Citizen, but I'm am totally out on doing it for NMS. They are going to have to introduce more content or I'll wait until it gets down to around $25.

Old 08-30-2016, 03:11 AM

7 posts, read 5,725 times
Does anybody know if they're about to make the game cheaper or how are they plan to expand the game? Because right know it seems a little overpriced for what it has to offer.

Old 08-30-2016, 05:00 AM

14,668 posts, read 14,629,286 times
Refunds have been offered for the game this week by major retailers due to it not fulfilling its advertised features. This may be one of the biggest busts in game history.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain.../#8abe13438c8e

Old 08-30-2016, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Refunds have been offered for the game this week by major retailers due to it not fulfilling its advertised features. This may be one of the biggest busts in game history.

Forbes Welcome
Yeaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh, I don't think No Man's Sky and/or Hello Games will be around a year from now. Their only hope, at this rate, is to be bought out by a much larger company.

Old 09-01-2016, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Weird, I willingly gave $60 with no reservations in buying an unfinished game for Star Citizen, but I'm am totally out on doing it for NMS. They are going to have to introduce more content or I'll wait until it gets down to around $25.
Three things make a difference
Chris Roberts
CryEngine
$120 million budget

That said I think NMS issues are more about not meeting expectations than it being a "bad" game. It's a victim of it's own (or Sony's) hype, then not delivering on the hype. I know I've been happy with games that weren't AAA but weren't hyped and disappointed with games that were AAA and didn't match their hype, and comparing both of those I even have AAA's that I was disappointed in that are better games than the non-AAA games I was happy with. Which is totally irrational, but those non-AAA titles didn't sell me a bum bill of goods.

Old 09-03-2016, 07:51 AM

2,366 posts, read 2,638,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Three things make a difference
Chris Roberts
CryEngine
$120 million budget

That said I think NMS issues are more about not meeting expectations than it being a "bad" game. It's a victim of it's own (or Sony's) hype, then not delivering on the hype. I know I've been happy with games that weren't AAA but weren't hyped and disappointed with games that were AAA and didn't match their hype, and comparing both of those I even have AAA's that I was disappointed in that are better games than the non-AAA games I was happy with. Which is totally irrational, but those non-AAA titles didn't sell me a bum bill of goods.
I didn't understand why this game received as much attention as it did. If people got hype over footage, that's on them. Not much was shown. The description of the game didn't impress me either. Anyone who paid for this knew exactly what they were getting. The game is as uninspiring as the developers implied.

Ultimately, No Man Sky had a overall good idea. The developers didn't expand on their idea to make it interesting to play.

I get to explore the galaxy. Is there a war going on with other planets? Am I destroying their outpost? Am I saving people from a disease? What's the goal?

Even Mario had a goal, get to the end of the level within the time limit.

Old 09-04-2016, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
I didn't understand why this game received as much attention as it did. If people got hype over footage, that's on them. Not much was shown. The description of the game didn't impress me either. Anyone who paid for this knew exactly what they were getting. The game is as uninspiring as the developers implied.

Ultimately, No Man Sky had a overall good idea. The developers didn't expand on their idea to make it interesting to play.

I get to explore the galaxy. Is there a war going on with other planets? Am I destroying their outpost? Am I saving people from a disease? What's the goal?

Even Mario had a goal, get to the end of the level within the time limit.
Maybe it's just me. But social media was all over NMS like white on rice, not PC mind you but PS4 (which may be due to Elite Dangerous being only on XB1 though its supposed to come to PS4 on console and it kind of fitting in the same space). I initially thought it was a PS4 exclusive until it popped onto my Steam feed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games