Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the best system, right now?
PS3 8 22.86%
Xbox 360 16 45.71%
Nintendo Wii 11 31.43%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 09:29 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,898,942 times

Advertisements

What's the best current generation console out there?

You can choose by looking at the games that come with it, internet capabilities, how it sets itself appart from the others, extra features, and even your own personal opinion or experience with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 09:53 PM

468 posts, read 1,637,284 times
At this current time, I believe it's either the 360 or the Wii.

The 360 provides superior graphics with an impressive lineup of games and exclusives. The PS3 is definitely getting there, with Blu-Ray in now and with the number of games and exclusives going up slowly, but steadily, but at this time, I think 360 is the master between those two systems. I think within the next year or so, the PS3, with the backing of Sony will continue to improve its lineup and the 360 will eventually hit some form of a plateau, but for now, I consider the 360 king.

With that being said, however, the Wii is a totally different monster. It's a Next-Gen console which looks like a next-gen console (in terms of graphics) but plays with a next-gen ideas, with the motion sensor, et. al. I had the Wii for half a year and I thought it was creative, but definitely not my cup of tea, but I could definitely see the inovation going on with the console.

So I'm declining to vote in the poll because I really think it should be a tie between the 360 and the Wii..

Old 04-24-2008, 12:29 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,231,007 times
I only bought a 360 to play Mass Effect.
I've always been a Tekken fan and would've bought a Playstation 3, unfortunately Mass Effect is exclusively for the 360 (and now also the PC).
Luckily Virtua Fighter 5 is nearly as good as Tekken.

Old 04-24-2008, 08:56 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,167,662 times
Each system has its ups and downs.

Wii - This is the cheapest of the 3. It's a heckuva lot smaller than the other two, with no overheating issues to date. Being light and compact makes it great for travel. In my personal experience, the only problem I've ever really had with it is that sometimes the network stuff freezes up and it has to be manually shut down (controller is unresponsive). Also, this is just a side note, if you ever take a power surge - even with a surge protector, you have to unplug the Wii completely for about 10 minutes before the power adapter pack is usable. This happened twice in a span of a year.

This console has complete backwards compatibility. Any GameCube game will play, but you will need a GameCube controller.

Also, there is a great selection of games. Many use movement and adapaters to utilize the great feature. And for some games, if you don't want to use the Wii-mote and nunchuk, you can easily use a GameCube controller (Wireless Wave Bird for the win). This is the best system for parties, get togethers, family events.

The online play for this console is pretty decent. I wasn't too too impressed, but it's free - so I can't complain. I got the internet feature back when it was in beta - so it was free. New users can get this feature for $5.00 - not too bad of a deal.

Xbox 360 - This is probably the system I've put the most hours on. The controller is pretty much the same as the prior - with better placement of the Start and Select buttons, and addition of the bumper buttons. I personally like the fact that there are so many color variations of the controller. As far as games go, there's a pretty great selection. However, most of the games are not platform specific.

The original release (beige-ish white) has a serious problem with overheating. So much so, that the warranty for the systems has been increase to a whopping five years. The problem is that the system runs at 96nm (which is pretty fricken hot) and causes a mini-meltdown. This is the infamous Red Ring of Death. Speaking about the Ring of Death, this system is one of the few that uses the lights to explain the error. Each designation of red (1st and 3rd only, 2nd only, etc) lights means a different problem. Very handy.

The Elite and Halo editions do not have the same overheating problem (so far...) as the original releases. The newly made Premium consoles also have the new chipset that runs a lot cooler than the original original.

This console has some backwards compatibility. Most of the more popular titles will play - but sadly, my Phantasy Star Online won't.

As far as online capacity, Microsoft has been testing downloadable content since the original Xbox. Every game released for the 360 has downloadable content. New levels, new characters, backgrounds, etc. Some things are free and some cost money. Demos, for instance, are free. However, if you want to play games online, you have to have a Microsoft Gold Subscription - which costs money.

PS3 - First, I want to make sure that everyone knows that not releases of the PS3 are backwards compatible for PS2 and PSX games. The 40GB is not backwards compatible at ALL. I've got the one that will play all Playstation titles. This is awesome for me starting up Final Fantasy VII again here soon.

This is the most expensive of the Next Gen systems. Some models have a problem with overheating - a simple Intercooler is all that is necessary if yours does. ((Hurray, mine didn't need one)).

The game selection is so-so if you only look at PS3 specific games. These games also have downloadable content - including UserMade content! This is the only system to have attempted this. I only recently got my PS3 (which has been using the preloaded Fold@home) and haven't played it at all. My husband claims that PSX games run a lot more smoothly than they did on the PSX or PS2.

The current PS3 controller makes me a little iffy. Because of contract issues, there is no dual shock in them. So, the controller is light as air! I feel like it's going to crumble in my hands. What's interesting in the Gyro System that recognizes movement. This feature is used in various games.

Also, there is free internets.

All Systems - All of the systems have wireless controllers that are factory made. The 360 and PS3 both have plug and charge packs that allow the user to plug the controller into the game system to charge the battery pack. Very nifty.

Old 04-25-2008, 02:45 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,306,296 times
Personally for me, the best is the 360. It all depends on what you like.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:11 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,898,942 times
Wow. No one has voted for the PS3 yet. I guess that's only because 1 out of every 100 Americans can aford one....

But my little brother and even my dad wants a Wii, mainly because of the interaction. Dad wants to get it for the whole family.
I like what the Wii has to offer, too. But I want a 360 for my self. I just want my games to be a little more realistic on screen more than off screen.

Old 04-25-2008, 10:52 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,167,662 times
Oh, in addition to my post, I just want to add that I went to the Game Stop here:

PS3 now has RUMBLE CONTROLLERS!

Old 04-25-2008, 11:13 PM

2,221 posts, read 2,926,381 times
I'll have to give the PS3 the first vote then. I love my PS3. Have played the 360 as well and it can't compare, IMO.

Old 04-27-2008, 03:40 PM

180 posts, read 408,931 times
the system is only as good as the games.

ps2 won last round on games alone. 360 will win this round.

Old 04-28-2008, 05:21 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,433,231 times
I absolutely LOVE the Wii, the wireless capability is amazing. Yesterday we got the Mario Racing for the Wii and its an amazing game. The ability to use the wireless sensor bar changes game play SO much its amazing. Its far more then just a controller that is wireless. Your entire action or movement is picked up by the long sensor bar that is on top of the TV screen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games