Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 10:45 AM

1,385 posts, read 3,005,618 times

Advertisements

Yeah, they buy wiis for retirement homes, those old people love wii bowling lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 10:50 AM

1,703 posts, read 3,869,760 times
My husband is 36 and still plays a lot. He gets home from work around 2 or 3 am and can't sleep. It's what he does to relax. He plays on line with his Xbox 360 buddies. And I'm 36 and LOVE Guitar Hero. There is nothing wrong with it. We work, pay our bills, take care of our kid, and are contributing to society. We just enjoy playing games too. And I'd rather my husband be playing video games than going to a bar. At least I know where he is

Old 07-28-2008, 11:55 AM

3,950 posts, read 5,086,255 times
Default Fun for all ages

Austinsmom, its not like you or husband are doing anything elicit by playing video games. You’re just part of the present demographic of video gamer that skews somewhat higher in age than most people suspect.

My most hardcore game playing friends actually tend to be in their 30’s. It’s not at all uncommon for my buds to jump on-line for a couple of rounds of Halo 3 or Call of Duty 4 in the evening after they’ve put their kids to bed. Just like you said, they tend to think it helps them relax and deal with the stress of their day.

What does surprise me, however, is how many girls and women play video games nowadays. Even games that you wouldn’t think ladies would enjoy like First-Person-Shooters.

Old 07-28-2008, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
Austinsmom, its not like you or husband are doing anything elicit by playing video games. You’re just part of the present demographic of video gamer that skews somewhat higher in age than most people suspect.

My most hardcore game playing friends actually tend to be in their 30’s. It’s not at all uncommon for my buds to jump on-line for a couple of rounds of Halo 3 or Call of Duty 4 in the evening after they’ve put their kids to bed. Just like you said, they tend to think it helps them relax and deal with the stress of their day.

What does surprise me, however, is how many girls and women play video games nowadays. Even games that you wouldn’t think ladies would enjoy like First-Person-Shooters.
Well, you might be playing with him....those are 2 of his favorites right now Our son is a big player too. His reasoning skills, reading, and hand/eye coordination are all great for his age (8) b/c he's been playing a long time with his dad. I used to like the old Mario games and Hercules for the old Nintendo system but hadn't found anything for the new systems I liked until Guitar Hero. I love my Aerosmith version and am getting pretty good. Don't think I'll ever play expert, but I just do it for fun. I'm not really competitive.

Old 07-28-2008, 12:31 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,164,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
I don't find it surprising at all about females being involved in Video Games and other "typical guy things". Not to bring this to a political side, but the "traditional roles" of males/females have been torn down. The barriers that kept girls playing with barbies and boys playing with matchbox cars is gone - and now we can freely express ourselves.

That being said, I'm a mom and wife. I'm also a gamer. I plan on being all three until the day a beer truck comes along and... well, you get the point.

Gamers should be able to game no matter what the age.

Old 07-28-2008, 08:33 PM

46 posts, read 142,304 times
My wife is also a gamer. She started out with the Tomb Raider series, on the PS1, then moved on to the PS2 series. She is now playing Fate.
She has been playing Oblivion, now waiting on the newest version to hit the stores.

Old 07-29-2008, 10:29 AM

3,950 posts, read 5,086,255 times
Default It's fun to play together

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
Not to bring this to a political side, but the "traditional roles" of males/females have been torn down. The barriers that kept girls playing with barbies and boys playing with matchbox cars is gone - and now we can freely express ourselves.
Agreed, and if Hillary Clinton had been a gamer she probably would have gotten my vote.

This whole age and gaming discussion is interesting but slightly misguided. With the price of the consoles themselves and the software to go along with them it’s quite obvious that children aren’t the only ones buying.

Old 07-29-2008, 08:08 PM

347 posts, read 933,835 times
Lindsey

i used to do that with my son too
he would pretend to play
then we played to gether
i would let him win
then he was competition
then he beat me all the time
i never got the return favor from him.

I cant beat him in a game that is totally dependent on reflexes
but give me a thinking game and i will beat him
despite his thinking that he is smarter than me.

i love to kick his butt in Heroes of might and magic

Old 07-30-2008, 01:28 AM

7,913 posts, read 932,573 times
Both my parents play video games, its kinda annoying, i try to talk to them and they are so into the game they dont hear me, i guess thats prolly what im like playing to.

Old 07-30-2008, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 109* View Post
Both my parents play video games, its kinda annoying, i try to talk to them and they are so into the game they dont hear me, i guess thats prolly what im like playing to.
You are. My son gets mad when I'm playing and I tell him to be quiet b/c I have to concentrate (when you get old you need more quiet to focus or at least I do) and I'm always like "Hello, this is you when you play....get over it for a minute That's why I don't play too much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games