Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2009, 05:12 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,384,349 times

Advertisements

Sometimes, game consoles can really get in the way of playing games

Top 5 things we hate about game consoles - Top 5 Games- msnbc.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 05:29 PM

542 posts, read 1,444,130 times
i hate that i bought a 360 to find out it's a piece of crap. not only are there tons of additional expenses. sometimes it doesn't read discs correctly(some discs being brand new). the battery for the controllers eventually take a dump fairly quickly. i went through 2. now i just use the wires that you can plug to the controller. online costs money. in general just a lack of quality. i upgraded from a ps2 that i loved. i've only had the 360 for about 8 months. wish i would have bought the ps3.

i do however like the controller setup.

Old 01-23-2009, 12:09 AM

905 posts, read 2,390,697 times
Don't forget about how crappy a FPS is with a controller...or having such limited buttons while playing an RPG. If I want to see my map, I press M...not select, up , right, a

Old 01-23-2009, 03:54 PM

183 posts, read 669,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renter8319 View Post
i hate that i bought a 360 to find out it's a piece of crap. not only are there tons of additional expenses. sometimes it doesn't read discs correctly(some discs being brand new). the battery for the controllers eventually take a dump fairly quickly. i went through 2. now i just use the wires that you can plug to the controller. online costs money. in general just a lack of quality. i upgraded from a ps2 that i loved. i've only had the 360 for about 8 months. wish i would have bought the ps3.

i do however like the controller setup.
Honestly, I thought the same thing when I first bought my 360. I have a PS3 as well, and I'll be honest, if a game is out for both systems, I'll buy it on 360. Why?

1. Xbox Live is great...being able to download addons, even if they cost money, rules. They may or may not be available on the PS3, and if they are available, they almost always come much later.

2. Games - There are simply more games for the 360, and there are some classic games out there you can get for under 30 bucks. So far, aside from a few notable exclusive titles (MSG4 comes to mind), the PS3 has been underwhelming.

3. Graphics (for right now at least). From what I hear, the PS3 is rather hard to program for, and game developers are having trouble utilizing the system to it's potential. Supposedly, if properly done, the PS3 could be "tricked" into having better graphics than it does...but no one has been able to do it yet.

I know there's the whole red ring of death thing...I had that happen to me, and although I've read the horror stories, for me personally, it was a relatively pain free experience; they shipped me a new one within 3 weeks and gave me a free month of Xbox Live. Right now, to me, the only advantage to having a PS3 is the blu-ray player.

You're right about the PS2 though, that system is just epic It's a shame so far that the success hasn't translated over. I was hoping it would because I loved my PS2.

Old 01-25-2009, 07:05 PM

1,302 posts, read 4,560,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_native74 View Post
Honestly, I thought the same thing when I first bought my 360. I have a PS3 as well, and I'll be honest, if a game is out for both systems, I'll buy it on 360. Why?

1. Xbox Live is great...being able to download addons, even if they cost money, rules. They may or may not be available on the PS3, and if they are available, they almost always come much later.

2. Games - There are simply more games for the 360, and there are some classic games out there you can get for under 30 bucks. So far, aside from a few notable exclusive titles (MSG4 comes to mind), the PS3 has been underwhelming.

3. Graphics (for right now at least). From what I hear, the PS3 is rather hard to program for, and game developers are having trouble utilizing the system to it's potential. Supposedly, if properly done, the PS3 could be "tricked" into having better graphics than it does...but no one has been able to do it yet.

I know there's the whole red ring of death thing...I had that happen to me, and although I've read the horror stories, for me personally, it was a relatively pain free experience; they shipped me a new one within 3 weeks and gave me a free month of Xbox Live. Right now, to me, the only advantage to having a PS3 is the blu-ray player.

You're right about the PS2 though, that system is just epic It's a shame so far that the success hasn't translated over. I was hoping it would because I loved my PS2.

That is ho you feel, but I know three people who have PS3 and 360 and all of them prefer to buy games for PS3 over 360. Before I bought either of them I asked one of my close friends what he liked and didn't like about both systems. Although he said 360 had more games the games that I would play either come out for PS3 too or are PS3 exclusives. People keep saying there is suppose to be more that xbox online has to offer, but any thing that I wanted to download off the internet I got on my PS a couple days after they came out on xbox live(because xbox adds stuff on tuesday I believe, could be wrong, and PS store updates on thursday.). IMO I feel like PS3 is a more mature system than 360. If you are looking for a family system then it would be neither of these it would be the wii. If you are looking for an adult system with a good bit of family friendly games then its the 360. But if you want an adult system and don't want to bother with a lot of kids messing around on the mics talking about everything but the game or adult conversation then get PS3.

Old 01-30-2009, 08:07 AM

4,079 posts, read 10,341,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfectedMushroom View Post
Don't forget about how crappy a FPS is with a controller...
How many good FPS are good with a PS3 or a Wii. The PC is superior graphicly but not everyone is cut out to play with a mouse and keyboard.

Old 01-30-2009, 08:35 AM

3,932 posts, read 5,060,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noid_1985 View Post
How many good FPS are good with a PS3 or a Wii. The PC is superior graphicly but not everyone is cut out to play with a mouse and keyboard.
Agreed! To me a mouse and keyboard is for work and a controller is for play.

Old 01-31-2009, 10:40 AM

183 posts, read 669,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
That is ho you feel, but I know three people who have PS3 and 360 and all of them prefer to buy games for PS3 over 360. Before I bought either of them I asked one of my close friends what he liked and didn't like about both systems. Although he said 360 had more games the games that I would play either come out for PS3 too or are PS3 exclusives. People keep saying there is suppose to be more that xbox online has to offer, but any thing that I wanted to download off the internet I got on my PS a couple days after they came out on xbox live(because xbox adds stuff on tuesday I believe, could be wrong, and PS store updates on thursday.). IMO I feel like PS3 is a more mature system than 360. If you are looking for a family system then it would be neither of these it would be the wii. If you are looking for an adult system with a good bit of family friendly games then its the 360. But if you want an adult system and don't want to bother with a lot of kids messing around on the mics talking about everything but the game or adult conversation then get PS3.
Both systems have exclusive titles, and I think if you research and look online, you'll find out that there are more 360 exclusives than PS3...not that one system's exclusives are better than the other (MSG4 is a must play on PS3, Fable 2 is great on 360, for example). Plus, PS3 still isn't keeping up with online content like the 360 is. For example, there's the latest download for Fallout 3...you still can't get that on PS3. Also, research online and ask folks at places like Gamestop...they'll tell you that part of the PS3's problem is that it's difficult to program for as compared to the Xbox; another reason there are more titles available. I agree with you about the Wii, and defintely agree that you need to buy a system that fits your playstyle. But I wouldn't say the PS3 is a more mature system than the 360...You have more kids playing 360 because there are simply more games and because the 360 has been more affordable for longer. Don't get me wrong, I like my PS3, and I have games I love on it. It's just a shame that the PSN can't keep up with Xbox Live usually, because if it did, I'd more likely consider the PS3 version.

Old 02-05-2009, 12:54 AM

68 posts, read 171,475 times
Hmm RROD is very true on that note....
Load times really are not that bad on some games: first party titles on the wii have almost no load times at all
The worst system I own for load times is the psp.... honestly..... Who wants to wait 2 min to play a game on a PORTIBLE?
As for the updates, I both love and loathe updates. I love them because they often add new features and areas to explore as well as new game play elements. I loathe them because game devs have become lazy and haven’t been testing there games as much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games