Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Videography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2012, 06:18 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,834,641 times

Advertisements

Well after what i have been thru the last few days (I lost my kitty a few days ago ) I am quite happy to have found some movies that i love ON VHS AND NOT DIGITISED AT ALL!! (Digitally Mastered) -- They dont look or sound as good in my opinion and its not much different than watching it on DVD (Which i do not like)

I got a bunch of VHS tapes for christmas and 1 of them was Willy wonka and the chocolate factory (NON DIGITALLY MASTERED/RECORDED) (all the others were (Except The Matrix but it is WIDESCREEN which i dont like,i prefer my stuff FULL SCREEN)) and i tell you,the picture and sound is much better than the other VHS tape i have of willy wonka that is digitised/doesnt sound quite as good!! (Colours are too bright,etc)

Then i went to the same place my parents got me the tapes at today (Salvation army) and found 5 movies I LOVE!!!! -- AND NOT DIGITALLY MASTERED!!

BIG
Home Alone 2 (I have part 1 which is also NOT DIGITALISED and i have been wanting part 2)
GHOST
GREASE
TRUE LIES

I dont know why they cant leave stuff alone..... I dunno when they started "Digitally mastering" VHS movies but it sucks..... Thankfully many can still be found that are not for purists like me who are aware and want the best!!

I dont like digital and if i can find someone TOTALLY ANALOGUE,i prefer it as it sounds/looks MUCH BETTER!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2012, 09:24 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
I got some good news and some bad news. Kitty is dieing a slow second death. Tapes degrade over time especially if they are being played a lot and stored improperly. As time takes it toll that tape is going to be nothing but fuzz at some point.

The good news is you can transfer them to digital to preserve the original recording and if done properly should look identical to your VHS material if not slightly better with the right amount of noise filtering.

Old 12-27-2012, 05:52 PM

Digital cannot produce the same quality my friend!!

Analogue and digital ARE TWO DIFFERENT THINGS.... Analogue is NATURAL while digital IS MAN-MADE and not as good!

Some links for ya

Compare Analog vs Digital Video

Why does analog sound better than digital?

Old 12-27-2012, 11:40 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Digital cannot produce the same quality my friend!!
Coming from someone using a low bitrate WMV as an example of the superiority of analog this comment doesn't surprise me. LOL

We can use True Lies as an example since you mentioned it, This is what you're missing. Find this scene on your tape and see how well you read the words "County Sheriff" or even better yet try counting the lugs on the tire...

Old 07-22-2014, 10:18 AM

Smile *

Ill do that buddy!

I have TRUE LIES recorded from ANALOGUE CABLE in the 90s and I love it!!

Where abouts is this in the movie?? -- I dont wanna search thru the whole movie!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Videography