U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Videography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 02:26 PM

5,413 posts, read 10,690,309 times

Advertisements

My uncle is looking for a camcorder that costs under $1,000. His only requirements are that it's easy to use, takes great video in the day and night, and, has a relatively small form-factor, and will last for many years.

I recommended to him that a hard drive based camcorder is more convenient since there are not mini DV tapes or mini DVDs that need to be swapped out. I also recommended a high-definition camcorder, but they appear to start at $1k on up. He said he can increase the budget if there's a good case for it.

Also, he recently bought a small 8 MP digital camera that is of the point-and-shoot variety. He's now looking for another camera that is even higher quality that he would use for more formal occasions. I told him Canon's "A" series would be my recommendation.

He's willing to spend a lot of money, but only SLRs cost $1k+, but they're too big for him. So he wants something that is the size of a Canon "A" series that provides very high quality and high optical zoom.

Please provide recommendations for a camcorder and/or digital camera, along with justification if possible. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2007, 08:44 PM

7,691 posts, read 9,195,056 times
My father just bought me a camcorder... Here's what I picked out:

Sony MiniDV Handycam (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8202964&productCategoryId=abcat0 403005&type=product&tab=2&id=1165610073230#product detail - broken link)

It takes the Mini-DV and a memory stick. I personally like the Mini Dv's because they're cute, adorable, and can be used in any DVD player. If it goes onto a hard-drive, it takes more time/effort to make a DVD later. Personally, I love this thing.

The photos it takes are gorgeous, and the videos are amazing.

Don't forget to check out places like Newegg and TigerDirect - they have some of the best prices.

Old 12-02-2007, 10:27 PM

Thanks for the reply, Kuharai. The only problem w/ mini-DVs is that one needs to replace them. BTW, you realize that mini-DV is not the same as mini-DVD?!

Yes, I'll scope Newegg and TD for best prices, as well as PriceGrabber.com, etc.

Old 12-02-2007, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf7 View Post
Thanks for the reply, Kuharai. The only problem w/ mini-DVs is that one needs to replace them. BTW, you realize that mini-DV is not the same as mini-DVD?!

Yes, I'll scope Newegg and TD for best prices, as well as PriceGrabber.com, etc.
To my knowledge, a mini-dv is a special form of DVD that can be instantly recorded to, re-written to - and plays in a regular DVD player.

But the only problem with internal hard-drive (from my research) is that they tend to overheat at times... that, and the amount of time it takes to get from camcorder to computer isn't the greatest if you don't have USB 2.0 ports.

Old 12-03-2007, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
To my knowledge, a mini-dv is a special form of DVD that can be instantly recorded to, re-written to - and plays in a regular DVD player.

But the only problem with internal hard-drive (from my research) is that they tend to overheat at times... that, and the amount of time it takes to get from camcorder to computer isn't the greatest if you don't have USB 2.0 ports.
My parents have a JVC camcorder they purchased in 2000, which supports mini-DV. It's a digital tape that is smaller than an audio cassette tape.

All new computers and laptops have USB 2.0. But you're right that old ones that only have USB 1.x will take forever to transfer files from the camcorder to the computer. I didn't know that hard drive based camcorders were overheating!

Old 12-03-2007, 01:55 PM

Quote:
My parents have a JVC camcorder they purchased in 2000, which supports mini-DV. It's a digital tape that is smaller than an audio cassette tape.

All new computers and laptops have USB 2.0. But you're right that old ones that only have USB 1.x will take forever to transfer files from the camcorder to the computer. I didn't know that hard drive based camcorders were overheating!
The Handycam uses the Mini-DVDs, but the package calls them Mini-DVs. Sorry that I didn't know the difference.

And about the overheating issue, I made sure to look around because I didn't want anything that would not only overheat, but might actually erase all of my data.

I'd say look around at stores and play with them. Then you could go on Ebay or something to try and get it cheaper.

Old 12-04-2007, 11:56 PM

No prob., yes, that extra "D" makes a big diff. (mini-DV vs. mini DVD). So it's the mini-DVD you were referring to, which is a different product than what you linked to. I'll continue investigating this for my uncle - he's not in a particular rush to get it, so perhaps I'll find him a good after X-mas deal.

Old 12-05-2007, 07:17 AM

Quote:
No prob., yes, that extra "D" makes a big diff. (mini-DV vs. mini DVD). So it's the mini-DVD you were referring to, which is a different product than what you linked to. I'll continue investigating this for my uncle - he's not in a particular rush to get it, so perhaps I'll find him a good after X-mas deal.
Again, I'm sorry - I didn't know the difference

Here's the one for the mini-dvd (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8210447&st=sony+handycam&type=pr oduct&id=1166234894238 - broken link)

Old 12-05-2007, 10:57 AM

12,980 posts, read 18,918,845 times
I am also in the market for a nice camcorder. I have always been partial to Sony but there has been a lot of problems with the Sony to MAC transfer with camcorders. Since I use a Mac, I am not considering the Canon hard disk camcorders.

As far as a regular camera I highly recommend the Canon Rebel XTi DSLR. Priced at $700 its a great entry level DSLR. There are many different lenses that can be purchased for whatever type of photography you want to try (portraits, macros, primes, zooms, etc.).

Old 12-05-2007, 12:50 PM

Thanks for the input, DaBeez. SLRs might be a little too large for my uncle; he wants something that's pocket size, but not necessarily one of those micro cameras that can fit in an Altoids tin can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Videography