Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Videography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Favorite Video Hosting Platform
Vimeo 6 46.15%
Wistia 0 0%
Sprout Video 0 0%
Vzaar 0 0%
ViewBix 0 0%
Brightcove 0 0%
Viddler 0 0%
Vidyard 0 0%
Youtube 7 53.85%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 05:25 AM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times

Advertisements

I have been considering Vimeo to host videos rather than YouTube, and came across this article about internet video platforms.
http://goanimate.com/video-maker-tip...video-hosting/

Does anyone have experience with one of the listed 8 platforms?
Thoughts?

Throwing in a CD poll for fun...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 04:45 PM

102 posts, read 132,318 times
The only one I've heard of on that list is Vimeo, so that is the one I shall vote for. Besides youtube of course I mean.

Old 04-10-2015, 10:13 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post

Does anyone have experience with one of the listed 8 platforms?
Thoughts?
I've been using Vimeo for 7 years, I think since they came out. I have 80 videos I created on the account. They were initially free, you still have a free mode. Many Family and Friends not familiar with Vimeo. If you just did not want to use youtube, then I would go with Vimeo.

I have 186 videos on YouTube, started with YouTube in 2006. I've had a few strange problems on two videos which I was able to correct, no thanks to YouTube, but it's free and the best for my use. I like the new free downloadable music section on youtube that you can use on your videos. Copyright issues crop up for some people...

I've had my own websites and kept some of my videos on there, but I gave up doing websites for business and friends...

Old 04-11-2015, 05:23 AM

Poncho,

I am looking at Vimeo.
Too much junk on YouTube. Profanity in comments. Too many ads. Flash.
It may be worth the $200/year for Vimeo Pro to avoid all that mess.

But, I see that YouTube is going to offer a paid subscription, too, and wonder how that will present itself to viewers.

Old 04-11-2015, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Poncho,

I am looking at Vimeo.
Too much junk on YouTube. Profanity in comments. Too many ads. Flash.
It may be worth the $200/year for Vimeo Pro to avoid all that mess.

But, I see that YouTube is going to offer a paid subscription, too, and wonder how that will present itself to viewers.
Yes a lot of junk on YouTube... But I like some of that junk, easily seeing performers from the 70's etc.

Yes, profanity and neighborhood, you can turn off comments, but it depends on your clients.

Flash? Vimeo and YouTube both can use Flash or HTML5. It depends on the users browser and their settings.

Personally, I would prefer Vimeo, but I have a lot of YouTube friends/fans, not by choice.

Vimeo has an easy password access for your videos. Only people with the password can watch. YouTube may have it, I don't know.

Hey!: "YouTube's paid subscription offering takes shape — and it's almost here Ad-free videos with offline viewing coming for around $10 a month" at YouTube's paid subscription offering takes shape. And they comment: "YouTube's move comes amid increasing competition in the world of online video, particularly premium video. Vessel, created by the team behind Hulu, launched last month with a business model designed to address the gripes of YouTube creators" YouTube's paid subscription offering takes shape

Good luck, I was in the techo field in the past. The spinning and getting dizzy made me retire

Old 04-28-2015, 10:45 PM

1,743 posts, read 1,328,642 times
Although I hate all the new changes to YouTube over the years, there's simply no denying it is the monopoly of video sharing. If you want to get noticed, you upload your videos to YouTube.

Old 04-29-2015, 04:43 PM

If you want decent presentation, Youtube is terrible.
I'm headed for Vimeo.
No ads.
No worries about vulgar videos glomming on.

Old 04-30-2015, 11:04 PM

1,309 posts, read 1,159,617 times
Why didn't you mention Dailymotion? That's probably the worldwide #2 ahead of Vimeo. I've uploaded videos on there and its decent.

Old 05-01-2015, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolZombie View Post
Why didn't you mention Dailymotion? That's probably the worldwide #2 ahead of Vimeo. I've uploaded videos on there and its decent.
I've seen Dailymotion, but didn't think of it.
I just pulled that list off a review site on line, and hadn't heard of most of those sites.

Old 05-01-2015, 07:37 AM

dailymotion.com I forgot them, I had/have an account with them which I don't use. They have been banned in a few countries. If it's blocked on YouTube for copyright violations it will probably be okay on DailyMotion. It really depends on your needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Videography