Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Videography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2015, 06:25 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,337,121 times

Advertisements

So I'm trying to decide between two panels.

I don't know much about the different brands but I hear that Sony is pretty good.

In any case, here are the two panels

Vizio E60-C3 ($799)
60" but it's a 60hz panel (effective 120 whatever that means)

Sony 55w700b ($899)
55" but it's a 120hz panel and it is apparently a better panel.

Are these two TVs even in the same ballpark?
I can't find any direct comparisons online. I have a. Intel NUC hooked up and the smart features are going to be rarely if ever used.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2015, 02:31 PM

8,048 posts, read 12,758,913 times
I recently had a 16 month old Sony LED tv die on me (unrepairable). I opened it up while troubleshooting. The screen was made by Sharp. The control boards were common boards with many other TV's. The only thing that made it a "Sony" was the emblem on the front and the software loaded on it. Not worth any extra money in my opinion.

Oh- The TV had an LED fault in the screen which meant to fix it I would have had to buy a new screen for twice what I paid for the TV.

I thought I was buying a SONY TV but in fact got a "Sharp".

If I buy a new one I figure I might as well get the cheaper Vizio model since the components are probably common to all the other brands. This time I will get the extended warranty too.

Old 06-13-2015, 12:26 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,810,437 times
Sony use to be good but its loss its luster in most electronics ;same as Mitsubishi.

Old 09-15-2015, 06:19 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,782,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
So I'm trying to decide between two panels.

I don't know much about the different brands but I hear that Sony is pretty good.

In any case, here are the two panels

Vizio E60-C3 ($799)
60" but it's a 60hz panel (effective 120 whatever that means)

Sony 55w700b ($899)
55" but it's a 120hz panel and it is apparently a better panel.

Are these two TVs even in the same ballpark?
I can't find any direct comparisons online. I have a. Intel NUC hooked up and the smart features are going to be rarely if ever used.
Save your cash and go with Vizio. I've owned both, and the Vizio's are still working (almost) flawlessly. One is 6 years old and has a black screen glitch which requires the power to be cycled every now and then to clear it. Other than that, both 42 inchers are chugging along with great picture quality.

Sony is known, and has been for years, to have what is called the blue line of death. It usually occurs between the 18-24 month range.

Just for laughs here's Vizio mocking the Sony/LG curved screens:

If you think about it... the curved TV is really one of the worst ideas ever!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Videography