Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Videography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2017, 08:28 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,036,450 times

Advertisements

I am editing a short film I directed, and I am experiencing trouble in editing from scene to scene. Basically it feels like the cuts are too 'hard', or not sure how to put it. Basically when transitioning from scene to scene, it feels too sudden and hard, and in your face, and not sure if it's my editing skills or the way I shot it (maybe I was rusty on this one), but was wondering if anyone had any tips when that happens, or what could be done to solve it possibly .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2017, 06:57 PM

41,815 posts, read 50,775,139 times
You are overlapping them using a fade transition? The bare minimum I would use on transition would be overlap of 15 frames or half a second.

The elngth of the fade would really be dependent on the content, a "hard cut" from slow scene to action gives dramatic effect.

Old 07-11-2017, 07:38 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,014,573 times
Are you 'L-cutting' or otherwise split editing picture and dialogue?

Old 07-12-2017, 10:55 AM

I am just doing the picture edit, and someone else is doing the sound edit after, so I'm not doing L cuts.

Basically I think maybe it was the way the footage was shot maybe. I can do fades, but I don't want to cause I think they look kind of gimmicky if you are using it hide how hard the cut is. If using it for an emotional effect that is, good, but it can look corny if I use the fade to hide something, or at least I find so.

Old 07-12-2017, 11:22 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,014,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
I am just doing the picture edit, and someone else is doing the sound edit after, so I'm not doing L cuts.

Basically I think maybe it was the way the footage was shot maybe. I can do fades, but I don't want to cause I think they look kind of gimmicky if you are using it hide how hard the cut is. If using it for an emotional effect that is, good, but it can look corny if I use the fade to hide something, or at least I find so.
When you say someone else is doing the sound edit do you mean re-re and sweetening?

You're not just cutting the whole thing yourself and then passing off for finishing (color, sound)?

Old 07-12-2017, 11:27 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,504,606 times
Hard cuts are simple...

What you are separating with the cuts can drastically affect the outcome and the impressions left with the viewer...

Here are two videos I considered good explanations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAH0MoAv2CI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gnbm0Z5ylI

Old 07-12-2017, 11:58 AM

For sure, unfortunately I don't have any insert shots, or anything good to separate the cuts with, and that's my problem so far. I will watch the videos.

Old 07-15-2017, 09:09 AM

Here is what I have so far, with the footage I got. It's just a rough cut with no audio so far, since in the school, we do audio after final cut of the video. So sorry if some of the audio sounds weird, or sentences are not lining up right here and there, but all that is going to be fixed later once the audio is done. You will also see the boom in some shots, but that is because it hasn't been cropped to wider aspect ratio yet, which I am planning on doing later. However, video wise, does the story make sense for the shots I have, without the editing being so jarring?

https://youtu.be/kE2ABAOyTXY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Videography