Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Videography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 11:11 AM

2,173 posts, read 4,405,361 times

Advertisements

I have some old 8mm tapes from the 1960's I want to get put on DVD. I see Costco does this, anyone use them? I also see there are local mom and pop companies in my city that do it. Local will probably me more expensive but faster. Local mom and pop is a little dodgy about giving me an upfront cost estimate, that worries me. Any reason why I wouldn't want to use Costco for this? I don't know anything about this sort of thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2017, 11:39 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
I have been using Costco for regular photo prints for over 5 years. I believe their 8mm tapes (and film) are sent out to another facility.

Old 10-18-2017, 12:44 PM

2,173 posts, read 4,405,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
I have been using Costco for regular photo prints for over 5 years. I believe their 8mm tapes (and film) are sent out to another facility.
Thanks Costco might be worth a shot. Costco usually does everything they do with quality.

Old 11-07-2017, 08:31 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,354,109 times
Problem with Costco is they transfer to DVD, which is very lossy. So, it looks ok but is by no means an archival format. I called them today to see if they offer the uncompressed files and they said they only offer DVD. Deal breaker for me.

Old 11-09-2017, 01:40 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
Problem with Costco is they transfer to DVD, which is very lossy. So, it looks ok but is by no means an archival format. I called them today to see if they offer the uncompressed files and they said they only offer DVD. Deal breaker for me.
I’ve seen 2 methods of archive - first is to scan each frame and then combine into a video. Second is to project the film and then video it with a high def CCD camera. Would imagine the first method is far more expensive.

Old 11-10-2017, 07:39 PM

I just sent 15 50' super 8mm films in for scan to file service. It only cost about $160, which I find very reasonable. I supplied a 32 GB flash drive and I will get the uncompressed MOV files back. I wouldn't consider the "filming the projection screen" option at all. I don't want flicker. Also, the service I am using cleans the film and fixes, splices and repairs them for $15 extra.

Old 11-12-2017, 04:43 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
I wouldn't consider the "filming the projection screen" option at all.
You need camcorder that uses 24P and a projector with adjustable speed that can run at 24FPS -or- camcorder with normal framerate of 30 and the projector running at 15FPS so you are capturing one frame of film to two frames of video. As long as you can get the framesrates synced you'll get rid of most if not all of the flicker. Virtual dub has a decimate option you can use to remove the duplicate frames in the second scenario.

Once you have it captured correctly you can adjust the frame rate correctly for playback on a computer, getting it to work correctly for playback over DVD/Blu ray etc is whole other issue.

I've looked into these services before and if it were me I'd be looking for a service that uses backlit scanners w/digital ice and can provide the captures either as uncompressed video or sequential image files in .tif or .png format at higher resolution. I don;t know what the equivalent resolution of a 8mm film is but it has to be in the 1 to 2 MP range whereas DVD is .35

As far as the direct conversions to DVD I would avoid them. The compression issue is only one problem here and that can be mitigated to some degree if they using a high enough bitrate. It only become major issue if you intend on doing any processing after getting them back. I'd be more concerned with the lower resolution because 8MM has got to be higher thtn 720*480.

Old 11-12-2017, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Would imagine the first method is far more expensive.
You can actually do this at home with any scanner that will take negatives however it will take forever.

Old 11-12-2017, 07:24 PM

Videotaping a projected image, where distortion is already introduced due to the blowing up of the film, is not ideal. Scanning each frame will always yield greater results. It's the same as taking a photo of a projected photo on a screen ovs simply scanning the negative into a computer.

Old 11-18-2017, 05:42 AM

I'm not disagreeing with. A service using backlit scanner (preferably utilizing Digital Ice or similar tech) is best way to go but those services are typically pretty expensive. You can do this at home but it's going to require some setup and will be a huge time consuming process.

There is cheaper services where the telecine machine utilizes a camcorder. The difference between those services and the home brew method of recording it off the wall is the that it's projected right into the camcorder. If you want to research and you are the tinkerer type you can also replicate this to some degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Videography