Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Videography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2018, 09:33 PM

1,424 posts, read 5,337,516 times

Advertisements

I have a pc with W10. I’m making a slideshow with probably about 200+ photos for a milestone birthday event.

I started with PowerPoint, but it seemed overly cumbersome. I don’t want to have to do 200 “insert duplicate slide” iterations.

Then I found microsoft movie maker, which is no longer supported, but seemed easy and user friendly. It let me move the photos around to change the order, which is what I need. BUT, today I went to the work I did yesterday and about half the photos had exclamation marks saying it could find the file.

So then I found windows Photos. But I’m struggling with using it. The timing per slide seems predetermined (that won’t work), nor does it let me import pix into the slideshow and move them around to change the sequence.

Does anyone know of an easy to use slideshow maker that will incorporate music and work on a PC with Windows 10? Are there apps that can do this?

I’d appreciate any and all help. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2018, 07:42 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
I use to do a lot of video editing which also included some "slideshows" depending on your definition and actual application.

Microsoft Movie Maker has always been a favorite. You do need to learn how to use the various programs, that is a challenge at times...

Here is a slide show I made in 2004:

Personally, I would stick with Microsoft Movie Maker, and just learn how to use it.

Or you could check out, Best 12 Free Photo Slideshow Makers 2018 [Desktop/Online/Mobile]: https://filmora.wondershare.com/slid...ow-makers.html

Old 08-03-2018, 09:27 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,727,168 times
Here is a slideshow I did back in 2015. I used Moviemaker which I loved
but it doesn't work for me anymore. Now I use Filmora for all my videos, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAe-...sF1k2aRN1kTN7G

Old 08-04-2018, 11:31 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,760,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by didee View Post
I started with PowerPoint, but it seemed overly cumbersome.
PP is cumbersome in the sense that trying to swim the English Channel with an engine block strapped to your back is cumbersome. Horrible tool, probably the worst there is among major, persistent, multi-gen applications. No truly useful function in the whole package, and the tendency to try to use it for every kind of visual presentation just compounds the problem.

As others have noted, there are simpler tools designed for working with photos and stringing them into slide shows. Far better to choose one of those as the right tool for the right job.

Old 08-09-2018, 05:12 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by didee View Post
BUT, today I went to the work I did yesterday and about half the photos had exclamation marks saying it could find the file.

When you are working with video editor the file you are working with is commonly referred to as a project file. The source files like video and photos are not included in the saved project file to prevent creating an unnecessarily huge file. If you move or delete the individual source files you have used in a project file they would no longer be available to it.

Note that some editors may have an option to export the project with copies of the sources if for example you wanted to use it on a different computer or the ability to save the project with copies of the files.

Old 08-11-2018, 11:26 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,760,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
When you are working with video editor the file you are working with is commonly referred to as a project file. The source files like video and photos are not included in the saved project file to prevent creating an unnecessarily huge file. If you move or delete the individual source files you have used in a project file they would no longer be available to it.
Good point, and often overlooked by novices.

To make it clearer - most video editors do not touch the original video footage or files; in professional use, that would be disastrous, like chopping up reference books to write a memo. The tool works by setting markers and control code - "put frames 3024-6051 here, apply this color enhancement profile, crop top and bottom 10% and suppress the right channel audio" - but it does NOT actually import those frames, or their data. Every time the project is worked on, it looks for that same, original, untouched import from the source file, and applies all of the editing commands to what it presents. Only when finally exported to a new output file is changed material actually saved.

As you say, there are ways to save interim, complete file sets for projects, but it does get bulky and messy. Better to understand how the source material is used and not move or archive it until the project is done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Videography