Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Videography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 07:09 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,660,872 times

Advertisements

I can't say for sure, but there are probably lens and body combinations that would do what you want within the same price you paid. Buying somewhat older, pro-oriented gear might be a good idea.

The problem with amateur gear is that it's designed to be easy to use and give good general results without too much effort and too many pitfalls. It is usually hard to override or put into the modes a pro might use, and it can be hard to find this out until you actually have it in your hands and in the field. The reviews will glow about how wonderful the item is... for its intended purpose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2018, 07:25 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,035,992 times
Okay thanks. Well is there any type of adapter I can put in between the camera lens and the camera body, that will allow changing of aperture, where the adapter can talk to the lens itself?

I also tried looking at older lenses, but I couldn't find anyone who had a camera that they could fit on, unless I would have to get some sort of adapter for that as well.

Old 10-03-2018, 11:10 AM

In thinking about this and my experiences with varying-aperture lenses, you might be completely out of luck. My recollection is that it's lenses that change the minimum stop with the zoom, for complex technical reasons and cost-savings. That is, the lens will open up to f4 at 30mm but close down to f5.6 or even f8 at 150mm, or so - and it's a hard-mechanical function doing so.

Can you set the lens to the desired stop all the way through the zoom? If not, there's no way to override that mechanical linkage/limit.

Old 10-03-2018, 12:06 PM

2,269 posts, read 1,613,014 times
I’m not a videographer but I just wanted to mention two things. Maybe this is common knowledge in this thread but if not......First is that it is possible to get zoom lenses that do not change aperture while zooming. This is a new one (link) just announced by the Leica/Panasonic parternership for Micro-4/3 camera’s, so the angle of view would be 20-50 mm for a full frame camera. The catch is that you pay a premium for this.
https://photographyfuse.com/2018/09/...gle-zoom-lens/

Secondly, many videographers shun f/stop designated lenses in favor of T/stop video lenses. Most are very nice lenses and the advantage with a T stop is that, since the T/stop values are based on amount of light transmitted by the lens (not a ratio of aperture with focal length) the same T/stop value on two different lenses will deliver the same exact amount of light to the sensor.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/searc...op+Nav-Search=

Old 10-03-2018, 12:47 PM

That constant-aperture lenses are in the pricier realm is precisely the problem, I think.

I also get the idea that the OP wants constant aperture for DOF reasons, not exposure reasons. So while a sophisticated video lens might solve the constant-exposure issue, it doesn't help with shallow DOF, bokeh, etc.

Old 10-03-2018, 05:09 PM

I actually want it for exposure reasons actually. It's for future filmmaking projects. There are times when I want to zoom while shooting. If it be to push in to someone's face to give more of an emotional feel, or if someone is walking towards the camera, and I want to zoom as they are walking to track with them for instance.

I know there are some lenses that have constant aperture that are cheaper, but they don't zoom in far enough, where as I need something that can zoom up to 300mm at least, for what I am going for, which is what I have.

I have found a way to maintain constant exposure during the zoom. If I put an adapter between the camera and the lens, or do 'lens wacking', then the lens will not change during the zoom, cause the camera is not talking to it therefore.

But the problem with this is, is that I can't change the aperture if whenever I want then. It would be nice if I could change the aperture whenever I want, but then cut off the camera from being able to talk to the lens while zooming, so it maintains the same exposure.

Perhaps I should have bought a T stop lens rather than f stop, but I cannot find any T stop lenses for a good price, that zoom up to 300mm.

Since I wanted to do zooms during the video, I was told by my friends as long as the zooms are fast, they don't notice the exposure changing. Just only during slow zooms but not fast ones. What do you think? Is not noticeable to most viewers here, when it's a fast zoom:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNfzSxFq9aw

Does that kind of fast zoom look good on camera, or does it look cinematic at all?

Last edited by ironpony; 10-03-2018 at 05:39 PM..

Old 10-03-2018, 07:01 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,500,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNfzSxFq9aw

Does that kind of fast zoom look good on camera, or does it look cinematic at all?
That fast zoom example looks horrible to me. It goes completely out of focus half-way through the zoom, and then snaps back into focus...

Old 10-03-2018, 08:00 PM

Yeah that's because the lens is not parafocal. My friend said it comes off as stylistic and intentional looking though, and he had no idea it was unintentional. So do you think that I could get away with in and out of focus fast zooms like that, in an artistic sense?

I mean you see movies rack focusing all the time, so going in and out of focus quickly is done in movies too. So what do you think, could it be acceptable in that kind of an artistic way?

Old 10-06-2018, 09:46 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,792,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
For a movie project I am planning everything for, for some shots, I want to do zooms during the shooting. However, the zoom lens I have is not a constant aperture one, since those ones are much more costly.

But even if I keep the lens at the same aperture, say f8, while zooming the whole zoom, it still readjusts during the zoom, even if it's f8 the whole time.

Here is a zoom example I did on someone. You can see the aperture change, even though it's the same aperture the whole time according to the camera. Any thoughts on how to change this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJcxAn_rK0Y
I only do still photography but I'm familiar with the lens and camera you're using. Are you sure it's the aperture that's changing as you zoom, and not the ISO or some other setting like exposure compensation? If you were using it at the maximum aperture it'd have to change when zooming, because it's f/4 wide open zoomed out, but only opens to f/5.6 when zooming in due to the way the lens is constructed. But that shouldn't be a consideration at f/8.

Old 10-07-2018, 04:29 AM

No, it's at f8. It's the aperture changing cause when I zoom in, the lens makes the same clicking sounds, that it makes when changing the aperture intentionally.

When I take the lens off the camera and zoom in, it doesn't make the clicking sounds. So the camera is doing something when it talks to the lens to make those clicking sounds and change the aperture. It reads as f8 the whole time of the zoom, but it still makes those clicking sounds. The ISO was at 800 the whole time, so that's not it.

Plus I took the same lens and hooked it onto a Sony A7s with an adapter to compare. When zooming on that camera, the clicking sounds are gone and the aperture doesn't change.

So the Canon camera is talking to the lens and changing it, even though it says it's at f8 the whole time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Videography