Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Videography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 12:10 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,754,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
When I take the lens off the camera and zoom in, it doesn't make the clicking sounds. So the camera is doing something when it talks to the lens to make those clicking sounds and change the aperture. It reads as f8 the whole time of the zoom, but it still makes those clicking sounds. The ISO was at 800 the whole time, so that's not it.
I ass/u/me you have the camera in completely manual mode, with all autoexposure etc. turned off?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2018, 01:23 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,068,484 times
Yes all manual. The ISO was set at 800. The aperture was set at f8. Shutter speed at 1/50.

One person told me that the aperture has to open more when zoomed in cause the t stops change and f8 has to open up more to compensate for the t stops, so it opens up more, even though it's still technically f8 the whole time.

Could this be the reason?

Old 10-07-2018, 01:46 PM

I'm sure it's something trying to be very smart on your behalf - again, that's the big difference between consumer and pro gear, that the latter lets you be as stupid as you want.

Why don't we back up a step and ask why this aperture shift is such a crisis? It seems like something easily handled with a little post-processing.

Old 10-07-2018, 02:02 PM

I tried post processing, but you can see changes being made in post. Basically as I zoom on a lens, the image gets darker then brighter, then darker, then brighter. If I correct the I separate the darker sections in post and make them brighter, it looks different and you can see the differences switch back and forth in the image. Even though I can get the darker sections just as bright, the image itself change and looks different as it goes back and forth.

So you are saying that the camera is trying to be very smart? I am surprised no one else has experienced this. Is zooming on a lens so rare now, that hardly anyone does it anymore?

Old 10-07-2018, 02:15 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,858,131 times
Well, neither the lens nor the camera were designed with filmmaking in mind. Video is an extra feature, not the primary purpose. And that's pretty dated, non-pro equipment. You might be expecting a bit much of it.

I'm playing around with a few of my Canon lenses now and they don't click when changing f-stops. I don't have that exact lens, though.

What metering mode are you in? If you're in Evaluative, I believe the the camera independently applies exposure compensation.

Old 10-07-2018, 02:20 PM

Okay thanks. Is the lens actually dated though? It's always in the stores being sold now it seems. I know the camera is dated but usually I get another DP to shoot my stuff with their own camera. However, most affordable ones that do this for cheap, do not have a telephoto lens, for a lot of shots that I want, so that is why I give them this one. But their cameras still talk to it, if they are canons in my experience.

The metering mode I am in is, the mode where it says the aperture in f stops, such as f8 for example. The same mode where it also says the ISO and shutter speed. Is that what you mean by metering mode?

Also, I know it's not pro equipment but I keep being told to use this technology for video to save money, so is it do-able to do that?

I was told by one person that they feel my particular canon camera is defective and maybe, it doesn't actually change into manual mode when it comes to talking to the lens. That it is suppose and maybe does not, when it should. Do think that is the case, if other people cannot hear clicking on their canon cameras?

Old 10-07-2018, 02:29 PM

The camera is far more a problem than the lens. I shoot entirely with Canon (doing video with a 5D) and while older lenses can lack some integration with newer bodies, they tend to work well and consistently.

I don't know what you're using for post, but correcting exposure according to shifts and even a curve is pretty trivial in a full-power package like Premiere or FCP. Again, this is where the cheaper, amateur/consumer packages tend to fall down. They can do all the editing and effects and other easy stuff, but when it gets down to consistent color correction, exposure correction and the like, they tend to be clumsy at best.

Old 10-07-2018, 02:32 PM

Okay thanks. The I was using the color in Premiere Pro and After Effects and tried using curves, gamma and exposure options. The problem with that particular lens is that when it changes exposure while zooming, it 'fades', and when I try to make the corrections, you can still see the fades as it fades from the original footage, to the corrected footage, and then fades back and forth during the zoom.

If the color problem was consistent it would be a lot easier to correct, but here it's constantly changing and you can see the changes.

So you are saying that the camera is making the changes and not the lens?

Old 10-07-2018, 02:35 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,858,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Okay thanks. Is the lens actually dated though? It's always in the stores being sold now it seems. I know the camera is dated but usually I get another DP to shoot my stuff with their own camera. However, most affordable ones that do this for cheap, do not have a telephoto lens, for a lot of shots that I want, so that is why I give them this one. But their cameras still talk to it, if they are canons in my experience.

The metering mode I am in is, the mode where it says the aperture in f stops, such as f8 for example. The same mode where it also says the ISO and shutter speed. Is that what you mean by metering mode?

Also, I know it's not pro equipment but I keep being told to use this technology for video to save money, so is it do-able to do that?

I was told by one person that they feel my particular canon camera is defective and maybe, it doesn't actually change into manual mode when it comes to talking to the lens. That it is suppose and maybe does not, when it should. Do think that is the case, if other people cannot hear clicking on their canon cameras?
That's the shooting mode. Google "metering mode." It's the one indicated by the little bracket and circle icon on the menu.

Which 70-300mm do you have?

Obviously you CAN shoot movies on this equipment, but you're making some compromises in quality and flexibility.

Old 10-07-2018, 02:40 PM

Okay thanks. This is the lens I am using:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._4_5_6_IS.html

I looked up metering mode, and based on what I read, what I do is, is I have the camera in manual mode and I determine the exposure with my eyes. I just light the scene, and determine it based on how it looks in the monitor, and I've been use to doing it that way.

Is that a bad way of doing it, or does it cause the lens to change exposure while zooming if I do it that way?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Videography