Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Videography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 10:28 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,070,200 times

Advertisements

For my script I wanted to shoot a scene where the villains escape the police and logically in order to do that they are going to want to drive fast of course. I was watching this film riot video to get tips:

https://www.youtube.com/watch…

The one shot I want to do that is a key shot is with the camera very low to the ground while driving. They do it with the camera attached to a stick lowered close to the ground while driving.

But I'm worried I might drop the stick or something might happen that could damage the camera. Especially since unlike them, I may not have a convertible car to hold the stick out of, which makes it harder. Does anyone have and ideas, or advice on shooting something like this, out of curiosity?

Thanks for any advice! I really appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2019, 12:56 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,763,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
For my script I wanted to shoot a scene where the villains escape the police and logically in order to do that they are going to want to drive fast of course. I was watching this film riot video to get tips:

https://www.youtube.com/watch…
This page isn't available.

Old 01-12-2019, 04:57 PM

Sorry about that, does it work now, or does it not work in some countries:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFrUOkruEqw&t=184s

Old 01-12-2019, 05:21 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,248,505 times
Curious who will be driving and did you get clearance/permit to close a street for possible shot?

Old 01-12-2019, 10:46 PM

We were going to drive on a dirt road on someone's farm land I know or at least that was the plan so far. My friend could be driving while I operate the camera.

Old 01-15-2019, 01:53 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,541,210 times
What about something like a GoPro? You can mount it to the exterior of the car. It won’t give you the camera movement of a gimbal on a hand-held stick, but it will get you close to the ground.

Old 01-15-2019, 01:55 PM

Well I would like to use the same camera for the entire thing if possible so it all looks the same and matches.

Gopros have automatic shutter speed, so it's hard to get the shutter speed to match therefore, and they also have that fishey look which I don't like, last time I checked. So I wanted to use the same camera with similar enough lenses to match all the other shots, if possible.

Old 01-19-2019, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Well I would like to use the same camera for the entire thing if possible so it all looks the same and matches.

Gopros have automatic shutter speed, so it's hard to get the shutter speed to match therefore, and they also have that fishey look which I don't like, last time I checked. So I wanted to use the same camera with similar enough lenses to match all the other shots, if possible.
There are ways to correct the lens distortion of the GoPro and color match other shots. There are also plenty of other similar cameras suitable for this application that don't have the lens distortion issue. The referenced video used an osmo and a drone, so I thought you planned to use cameras along those lines.

The advantage of something like a GoPro (or similar) is that it is relatively inexpensive. Without a significant investment in mounting equipment, I'd be very nervous about rigging an expensive camera to a "stick" and holding it outside of a moving vehicle. The dirt road only makes trouble more likely for the camera (dirt/rocks flying up at the lens, etc.).

If you want to stick with your camera, I would look for a nearby production rental company and find a compatible vehicle mounting system.

Old 01-19-2019, 10:47 AM

Oh okay. It's just the gopro's shutter speed keeps changing and it's all over the place, experience in working under other filmmakers who used them, and the shutter issue is not as simple to correct in post.

As for dust and rocks, the plan was to put a UV filter on the end, to protect the lens, with a lens hood to block out any lens flare, caused by the UV filter. But if I should a less expensive camera on I can, I just want one where I can control the shutter speed better than a gopro, if possible.

But if the gopros barrel distortion can be corrected in post, how would one do that without having to zoom into the image, and losing resolution as a result?

Old 01-24-2019, 09:42 AM

Quote:
But if the gopros barrel distortion can be corrected in post, how would one do that without having to zoom into the image, and losing resolution as a result?
I used the "GoPro" name as an example. There are other inexpensive camera options that don't have a barrel distortion issue.

Good metering, ND filters where needed can help fix shutter speed. A proper mount for your DSLR can overcome both shutter speed and lens issues.

I don't know the limitations of the correction process for GoPro footage. I only know it can be done. I'm not sure what res you are shooting in - if a slight zoom is needed for the fix, you can shoot in 4k and still maintain 2k or 1080 resolution in the corrected clip.

I'm just tossing out some ideas along the DIY lines.

The other option is to buy or rent gear made for the task. If you have the cash, anything is possible. I recently saw a remote control vehicle for mounting a camera. Can't remember the name, but it was very cool and probably very expensive. I highly suggest contacting a local equipment rental house to see what the options are before you try to reinvent the wheel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Videography