Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Videography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 10:41 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col.W.Deering View Post
I've been looking at the Kodak Zi8 pocket video camera. Has anyone had any experience with this make and model?
The Zi6 (previous model) had a problem with "skipping frames" where the recorded video would occasionally jerk a bit due to missed frames. It was discussed in various forums. Not sure about this new model, though.

Regarding the Flip: I own the original Flip video and one of the newer Flip Mino models (non-HD). Here's my take on them... Decent video quality for what they are, however, the Mino models use lithium-ion batteries. You have to charge them via a USB port on your computer (or an optional adapter). The lithium-ions also don't hold up very well in cold weather, so if you're outdoors in cold temps, the battery will drain very fast, and, you might also get some slightly jerky video for whatever reason like that Kodak mentioned earlier. If you avoid the Mino and get the full-sized HD model, I think it at least uses AA batteries (confirm this). The models that use the AA batteries won't have this cold drain problem, and you can swap batteries or use Ni-MH rechargeables that are quickly and easily found anywhere you might be.

One other note - the Flips don't have image stabilization, so there's no digital or optical thing in them that steadies your shots. All of the HD hand-held samples I've seen from these things almost look like they were taken when a 6.5 earthquake was going on. The slightly shake your hand/arm makes when shooting video is going to be wildly exaggerated in a large HD sized video, unless you use a tripod or one of those wrap-around gorillapod things. The videos look great when the camera is steadied on something - when it's hand-held, I don't think it looks so hot. Like that Creative sample video earlier - whoever took that used a tripod or steadying device during a lot of it. Just my opinion.

I mean, for the price they're fun. If I just wanted something to post stuff on a blog or youtube though, I'd get the standard def version (non-HD) so the camera shake issue won't be so bad. Plus the standard def versions are cheaper ($129). If I were a little more serious about doing some 720p or 1080p HD video, I think I'd spend a few dollars more and get a memory card type camcorder that at least offers image stabilization.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2009, 11:37 PM

478 posts, read 772,900 times
I bought one of the first versions of the flip a couple years ago to take on a vacation, and I almost immediately wanted to return it and get my money back and buy something different- which I would have done were I not out of town already. But it really depends on what you want to use it for.

The good: if you just want to do very basic video recording, like documenting family and pets and/or activities and whatnot, it might be perfect for you. The picture quality is actually very good- nice and clear, as is the sound. I like to go to a lot of concerts and video tape in venues that allow it, and even at the very front by the speakers, at VERY loud (metal) shows the sound quality stays surprisingly clear.

The bad: Honestly, the flip really isn't an inexpensive camera- for another 50-100 bucks you could get something a lot nicer. And there just isn't much you can do with it if you want to use it for creative purposes- which I do. I should have done more research on what was out there before I bought- but luckily it sounds like that's what you're doing so I hope you find the right product for you! Good luck.

Old 12-14-2009, 06:27 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
I shot these videos primarily with the Canon SX10, but I inserted some scenes from my wifes Canon "A570 IS" in each video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=na7_AGEJJX0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BotZfPE3yqs

Rich

Old 12-14-2009, 09:59 AM

2,518 posts, read 5,352,945 times
I have a FlipVideo camcorder, here's a video I shot with it.

http://s193.photobucket.com/albums/z198/BereniceUK/videos/?action=view&current=Aug042007-VID00814.flv

Picture quality isn't brilliant, there's no focus, but the sound is pretty good.

Old 12-14-2009, 10:08 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BereniceUK View Post

http://s193.photobucket.com/albums/z198/BereniceUK/videos/?action=view&current=Aug042007-VID00814.flv

Picture quality isn't brilliant, there's no focus, but the sound is pretty good.
My comments:

Pretty good! Those were doves I heard? I have bad hearing...

Looks like you panned by hand, but pretty good. Generally hard to do it that wide and that slow. Slow is good.

Sounds like a wind spot in one place or maybe just noise from your hands etc?

The flip video has been very popular for the price. Sometimes any video is better than no video. Just depends on what your trying to do.

Rich

Old 12-14-2009, 12:52 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post

One other note - the Flips don't have image stabilization, so there's no digital or optical thing in them that steadies your shots. All of the HD hand-held samples I've seen from these things almost look like they were taken when a 6.5 earthquake was going on.
If possible always use tripod or whatever and turn the stabilizer off. Stabilization in video is achieved by using a safe area within the full resolution the camera can achieve. This safe area will "float" around inside the full resolution area to prevent the jerks and other things common to hand held footage. The problem is you're losing resolution and detail. It's like taking a photo, cropping it and resizing it back to original size.

High end cams have mechanical stabilization.

Old 12-14-2009, 01:19 PM

2,518 posts, read 5,352,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
My comments:

Pretty good! Those were doves I heard? I have bad hearing...

Looks like you panned by hand, but pretty good. Generally hard to do it that wide and that slow. Slow is good.

Sounds like a wind spot in one place or maybe just noise from your hands etc?

The flip video has been very popular for the price. Sometimes any video is better than no video. Just depends on what your trying to do.

Rich
Yes, panning by hand which gets harder the further you turn. FlipVideo is a nice pocket-size, useful to have with you. It was a wind spot, I think and, yes, there was a dove in the video. Also a pheasant right at the end.

Here's another which closes-up on the subject, a blind busker in Manchester.
videos :: Manchester street busker 12.9.2008 video by BereniceUK - Photobucket

Old 12-14-2009, 08:38 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times
Here are a couple of youtube videos I found (not mine) of the Flip HD version that might be helpful...

If you stabilize the camera with a tripod or similar device, this is how good the video CAN be...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OqJYIwlrV8

If however, you do it all hand-held, this is what MIGHT happen...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogjFtB91to8

(not bad in terms of clarity on the 2nd one, but very "bouncy" hand-held when you get to such a large size video). There are as mentioned though, tripods, gorillapods, and even specialized mini tripod type things made specifically for the Flip now though, so you can get those to help out.

Old 12-15-2009, 09:05 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,769,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BereniceUK View Post

Boy, I think for an amatuer , Id be very happy with that quality considering the cost and convenience of the CamCorder . Thanks for posting the video.

Old 12-15-2009, 10:00 PM

1,558 posts, read 2,597,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
If possible always use tripod or whatever and turn the stabilizer off. Stabilization in video is achieved by using a safe area within the full resolution the camera can achieve. This safe area will "float" around inside the full resolution area to prevent the jerks and other things common to hand held footage. The problem is you're losing resolution and detail. It's like taking a photo, cropping it and resizing it back to original size.

High end cams have mechanical stabilization.
this cam doesnt have digital or optical stabilization. and to make matters worse, it has a cmos sensor which has the rolling shutter "jello" effect
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Videography