U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 06:26 AM

229 posts, read 791,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbern73 View Post
One last thing about gangs...I didn't know very much about them, having grown up in a very quiet, safe area. So my question was, do they keep to themselves or do they go out into the village, raping and pillaging, so to speak. It seems the violence is amongst themselves. That's all I wanted to know.

Now, on to more posts like emsman's. Thanks for the specifics on communities! Anyone with children in the school systems? How about charter or private schools? Or even homeschooling groups/co-ops?

How are folks in the area for accepting and welcoming newcomers? Any places better than others for true neighborliness?

What are some of your favorite things to do and see in the area? Good farmer's markets? Best hikes? Etc...
Gangs...chances are you won't know that they even exist in the area...unless you watch WHSV channel 3's newscasts. I can't think of a soul who worries about them actually. The closest to a "gang" you will see in the region is those middle aged Hell's Angels motorcycle types.

Schools..can't answer since I don't have children .

The area is very accepting to newcomers. Now as far as "favorite things to do"...in the area caverns are popular ( EG: Luray Caverns ), hiking in the GW National Forest, The mountains of nearby West Virginia...well pretty much anything can be found in the region, things that are not such as beaches...well they aren't that far either.

Interesting thing about Harrisonburg..it is the largest city on I-81 between Roanoke, VA and Harrisburg, PA....though it doesn't seem like it for being such a rural area and the lack of certain things such as flights to/from Florida from the airport, no high rises, no COUNTY-wide transportation system ( buses), no Macys...but none of that is really important...well I guess some would want a Macys in the region anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 06:27 AM

12 posts, read 29,802 times
Default Schools

I have been having a hard time finding schools with acceptable SOL scores in and around Harrisonburg according to County School board statistics (Augusta & Rockingham). It seems like they have not even met the requirements set out. Is this correct information or could any one set me in the right direction of a quality school? I don't even see any Gifted and Talented Programs. (Middle & High Schools)

Old 06-18-2010, 07:12 AM

358 posts, read 661,386 times
OK, Schools. I have a grade age child in Augusta county schools and chose my new home based on the school district. All the Augusta county schools to my knowledge have met SOL's.To give you an idea of the variances, there are 5 seperate high schools in Augusta county, and about as many in Rockingham. So check each school district. There are religious based private schools in Harrisonburg & Staunton (Eastern Mennonite & Grace Christian respectivley) and a completly private school in Staunton (Stuart Hall /w 100% college placement). All the public schools offer a gifted program, my friends daughter just graduated with her first year of college complete, so the programs are there. The quality of a school,like beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Old 06-18-2010, 08:31 AM

One more thing on SOL's. Remember, they take an average of ALL the students in that particular grade to come up with the averages and percents. It shows the performance of the teachers in that grade group not the individual students. As with any child a large dose of parental involvement is key. While, SOL scores are helpful, a individual child that has a problem with a teacher or subject is not identified. Example, my child in the city school had a teacher who was horrible and he didn't like school. The school passed the SOL's with flying colors though, but his grade was not subject to them. SOL standards are only evaluated in certain grades.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:27 AM

14,131 posts, read 27,042,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtfellas View Post
I have been having a hard time finding schools with acceptable SOL scores in and around Harrisonburg according to County School board statistics (Augusta & Rockingham). It seems like they have not even met the requirements set out. Is this correct information or could any one set me in the right direction of a quality school? I don't even see any Gifted and Talented Programs. (Middle & High Schools)
Wow. Probably the only non-urban major college town in America that has low school scores. Tells you loads about life off campus. Just ask some of the JMU students about the "Townies".

Old 06-18-2010, 03:02 PM

9 posts, read 27,456 times
CAVA, I'm a little confused by your last post - I think it's sarcastic, but I'm not sure what you're referring to.

Old 06-18-2010, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbern73 View Post
CAVA, I'm a little confused by your last post - I think it's sarcastic, but I'm not sure what you're referring to.
I'll make it simple - unlike many other good universities (UVA, UNC, UGA), JMU is surrounded by Hooterville rather than a real college town where a rich educational and cultural environment extends beyond the campus. Basically there's relatively little in common between those on campus and those in the community.

Old 06-18-2010, 06:47 PM

Things to do in area: Goshen Pass is a large river with small rapid and lots of swimming, Douthat State Park is about 45 min. away, Hiking Humpback Rock is cool, Massenutten Resort has an indoor water park. Day trips to D.C. are easy too. Sherando Lake is great for swimming& fishing. Charlottesville has an indoor ice skating rink, i'm pretty sure it's still open, may want to check that.
Farmers Market: Every saturday in downtown Staunton, Many "pick your own" farms in Augusta& Rockingham county, everything from fruits to christmas trees.

Old 06-19-2010, 11:15 AM

12 posts, read 29,802 times
I can see both sides of the coin between Ensman & Cava. If your a young college student that is used to a large city with lots of nightlife it may be hard to adjust especially if you come to a college without a car or a lot of cash to get out of town. I can also see your points of hiking etc. to do also.

I'm not just going for SOL's, I'm looking at demographics, annual incomes, and poverty levels in some of the schools. This is factoring into my choices of good schools. When I see a high level of immigrants in a school I would not like to send my child there because of a concern for language barriors and possibly a high turn over in children coming and going.

I live in a fairly large county and am certainly not an expert, but, I know what schools are good and bad in my area and would never send my kids too. I also know the ones that are great and want my kids to go too. According to the VA gov website, most schools in the area did not show data for advanced learners. That was my concern.

You can drive yourself crazy researching every schools website to find the right one. If I did not phrase my question correctly I'm sorry. I was just curious if someone knows the more sought after schools around the town.

Old 06-19-2010, 01:39 PM

It's not just the immigrants dragging down those scores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or