Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 12:21 AM

429 posts, read 1,864,038 times

Advertisements

To the author, I apologize.
I do find it sad how much of the beauty of northern VA way out to the mountains is being sold out for McMansions.

Isn't Clarke, Fauquier, Frederick, and West Loudon still very rural overall and safe due to zoning and long drives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2007, 08:18 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,290,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tberg224 View Post
To the author, I apologize.
I do find it sad how much of the beauty of northern VA way out to the mountains is being sold out for McMansions.

Isn't Clarke, Fauquier, Frederick, and West Loudon still very rural overall and safe due to zoning and long drives?
Clarke yes, the rest from what I can tell are being developed to varying degrees.

Old 06-23-2007, 08:17 PM

429 posts, read 1,864,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAFury View Post
Clarke yes, the rest from what I can tell are being developed to varying degrees.
Any reason why Clarke is safe?
To me it seems very odd people would by pass Clarke to go further west.
What ever happened to their being a line where everything to one side is rural one way?

Old 06-24-2007, 05:39 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,290,938 times
Quote:
What ever happened to their being a line where everything to one side is rural one way?
I read the "still very rural" and kind of glossed over "safe", but I know Clarke seems to be MUCH slower in developing and it isn't for lack of funding or anything. They're probably just better at resisting it than surrounding counties, but yeah, that's a phenomenon I've been trying to figure out; how Clarke can remain relatively rural while Frederick gets blasted by development.

Old 06-25-2007, 03:53 AM

1,290 posts, read 2,568,469 times
Lots of 'old' money in Clarke County, for starters. That however is changing as well. One acquaintance of mine recently plowed under 900 acres of apple trees, hell bent on profit of development. All it takes is a slow progression of newcomers to get the ball rolling.

Old 07-09-2007, 12:02 PM

4 posts, read 12,292 times
Wink Berryville & Sliding-Scale Zoning

Quote:
Luckily, back in the early 1970s the County Planner heard of sliding-scale zoning and got it passed in Clarke County (then he moved on and did the same thing in Fauquier, just a little too late for most of the sprawl). Clarke centers the growth around population centers (if 100-300 people make a population center) and farms cannot have 250-300 houses on 200 acres. This has saved Clarke from the mess Frederick, Warren, Berkley & Jefferson counties have been inundated with, but it also is very limiting house-value wise for folks wanting the rural life style. Very little housing under $350,000 (even used) and none being built. If you want to really get a small town feel of serenity, then take a weekend trip to BV.
Unfortunately, anyone who wants country living will have a long drive into the city areas if they work there. Many residents around here do it everyday, and feel the extra expense and time worth the small-town feel.

Old 07-15-2007, 01:01 PM

59 posts, read 397,338 times
I live in Winchester and absolutely love it. But I would never commute to Herndon. You would be going with the traffic; add in a fender bender and it would increase your commute; add in snow and the commute would double.

You are lucky in that you already live near the area so you can take some weekends to explore. I wish you the best of luck in your search.

Old 07-23-2007, 01:32 PM

4 posts, read 27,929 times
Default Realistic Info

poohki,
Sorry for the rude and mis-informed responses you have been receiving. I grew up in Clarke Co. on Sensey Road and now live on the east side of Winchester off of Rte. 7 and 81. I work in Ashburn (off of the toll road) and in Sterling (near the Dulles Town Center)...because Winchester salaries can't compete and the housing prices are very high in comparison to local salary scales. During non-rush hour times, it will take me 30 minutes to get to Leesburg, 40 minutes to get to Ashburn via the toll road and 45-50 minutes to get to Sterling. During rush hour, it has taken me up to 1.5 hours to get to Sterling. During the morning commute, there are back-ups at Rt. 9 and then pretty much from Leesbrug into Sterling/Herndon on Rte 7. The toll road is really the best option. Coming home is about the same. Summers and school holidays are much better since there is less traffic. There are "pockets" of time when the traffic is less-that's just somethign you have to experiment with.
As far as housing on the east side, there are several nice developments...research into the building of the houses and future developments would be advised.
Welcome to Winchester/Frederick Co. if you decide to move!

Old 08-24-2007, 08:22 AM

38 posts, read 151,524 times
Default what are the nice devts?

Hi,
just curious?

what are the names of some of the nice developments and how are the prices?

thanks for any info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vt_lily View Post
poohki,
Sorry for the rude and mis-informed responses you have been receiving. I grew up in Clarke Co. on Sensey Road and now live on the east side of Winchester off of Rte. 7 and 81. I work in Ashburn (off of the toll road) and in Sterling (near the Dulles Town Center)...because Winchester salaries can't compete and the housing prices are very high in comparison to local salary scales. During non-rush hour times, it will take me 30 minutes to get to Leesburg, 40 minutes to get to Ashburn via the toll road and 45-50 minutes to get to Sterling. During rush hour, it has taken me up to 1.5 hours to get to Sterling. During the morning commute, there are back-ups at Rt. 9 and then pretty much from Leesbrug into Sterling/Herndon on Rte 7. The toll road is really the best option. Coming home is about the same. Summers and school holidays are much better since there is less traffic. There are "pockets" of time when the traffic is less-that's just somethign you have to experiment with.
As far as housing on the east side, there are several nice developments...research into the building of the houses and future developments would be advised.
Welcome to Winchester/Frederick Co. if you decide to move!

Old 08-26-2007, 11:51 PM

1 posts, read 1,784 times
Default drive to Herndon

Unless you like spendnig aLOT of money on gas and sitting in traffic dont move so far out.....
Even Berry vile would be better adn less commute.

Its bad traffic if youre a 09:00-fiver....
good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia