U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 11:15 AM

1 posts, read 1,879 times

Advertisements

Hello. I have searched the forums for Forest, VA, but haven't had much luck. My husband and I are most probably relocating to Forest with our two small girls. We are currently in a large metropolitan area and I realize we are going to have some culture shock.

However, we are looking forward to small town living where we can raise our kids in a better, less hectic environment. Does anyone have ANY information on Forest? How are the public shools? Private? Extra activities, such as ballet, karate, etc? Is there stuff to do? Any shopping? What is close by for day outings/activities???

Any info you can provide would be great. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 11:34 AM

8,121 posts, read 12,691,081 times
Smith Mountain Lake is nearby. My son has participated in some of the state park programs for kids. We like going to see the Lynchburg Hillcats play (Minor League A baseball). Amazement Square is good for my son when we took him a couple of years ago. I think most of your shopping is going to be in/around Lynchburg.

http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state_parks/smi.shtml

The Official Site of Minor League Baseball | Lynchburg Hillcats Homepage

Amazement Square - The Rightmire Children's Museum, Lynchburg, Virginia.

Old 06-28-2010, 02:35 PM

2,031 posts, read 6,142,694 times
You will love Forest, once you have settled in. It has some lovely homes and apartments and nice shopping areas. The Blue Ridge Parkway is closeby at Bedford with beautiful views of the Blue Ridge Mtns. Lynchburg is a nice place to settle and raise a family. Roanoke & Charlottesville are an hour away as is Smith Mountain Lake, which is an unspoiled man made lake with boating, fishing, cabins, public beach. I think you have picked a beautiful area to settle. Good Luck! BTW, if you yearn for the Big City, Amtrak has a daily train to DC from Lynchburg and you can be back the same day!

Old 07-04-2010, 01:21 PM

84 posts, read 177,387 times
I've done some work at Forest Middle School and I can say it was a very nice school. The teachers all seem to really care about the students as they personally know each of them as it is a small town. The middle school has a Technology Ed lab that is about 5 years old that is nice. Bedford Co. has a Science and Technology center for HS kids that is top notch.

Old 07-04-2010, 08:49 PM

14,131 posts, read 27,094,986 times
Apropos to nothing much here, my GGGG-Grandmother was born there and was given "Forest" as her middle name. She moved to Boonesboro. KY and lived through the Indian seige. Her cousin Forest Hancock, also named for your new home, and his trapping partner were the first white men Lewis and Clark, Sacajewea, and the rest of the Corps of Discovery met way up the Missouri River on their return from the West. Perhaps some historical trivia about their town even the folks there don't know.

Old 07-04-2010, 11:00 PM

2,031 posts, read 6,142,694 times
Thomas Jefferson liked Forest also and chose it for his summer home away from Charlottesville. He also liked to hang out at the Peaks of Otter(which is now a lodge off the Blue Ridge Parkway, outside of Bedford). His home has a view of the Peaks from Poplar Forest.Main | Poplar Forest

Old 09-11-2010, 01:21 PM

1 posts, read 1,586 times
I've raised my boys here, they're both college age. Living here is wonderful, and tho we homeschooled, I've had Jefferson Forest school kids for Sunday School and Youth Group and they are awesome kids, I've read good reports about the elementary, middle and high schools. Many churches to choose from, the most beautiful surroundings ever, always plenty to do if you search it out, plenty of gardening to do, history all around; it'll be quite a change-enjoy it.

Old 09-11-2010, 08:36 PM

925 posts, read 2,138,542 times
The new Kroger store is awesome. Most shopping would be a few minutes away in Lynchburg.

Old 09-13-2010, 08:29 AM

506 posts, read 1,268,597 times
A few thoughts:
I hope you have jobs already lined up.
Have you visited the area?

The people already posted obviously loves living in this area. Far from everyone does. Goes for any area. Personally, I have lived here since 2002, I have never taken to the place and probably never will (and I have met many folks who agree and has move on).
It “barely OK” and I wish I lived someplace else. We all have different tastes, but I think it needs to be said.
....and now for something completely different :-)

A good Karate dojo for kids in the area is Renaissance Academy of Martial Arts. Renaissance Academy of Martial Arts
Excellent classes for children (and adults too)
The Jamerson YMCA in Forest has good classes too. I am not sure they are for kids as well as adults. The Jamerson YMCA is a nice facility though.
All the best with the move.

Old 10-27-2010, 05:02 PM

3 posts, read 4,246 times
I go 2 Jefferson Forest and it is probrably the high school with the biggest marijuana problem in the state. Also, if you do move 2 Forest Lake Vista dr looks like a very nice neighborhood but its where I live. The cops patrol at least once a day because of the drug problems at the park at the end of summerpark dr. The last thing I noticed is that there may be gang problems in this neighborhood but I'm not sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia