U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 06:57 PM

41 posts, read 129,337 times

Advertisements

Well, we've made the decision to move to the Williamsburg area but I'm concerned about the housing market. I have a short list of 3 homes that are in Kings Mill and Governors Land. All the homes have been on the market for quite a while but it seems no one is interested in negotiating. While I understand their position from a sellers point of view (I just sold my house) I am worried about paying too much and then not being able to sell later. Any words of wisdom from you real estate gurus? Should I be concerned that these homes haven't sold or is this a temporary situation?

Thanks in advance,
Nettie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2007, 09:06 PM

213 posts, read 919,171 times
I know both neighborhoods intimately. In most cases in Governor's Land the owners are either downsizng or this is one of many homes, it does not surprise me they will not negotiate. Are you willing to tell me what streets - or if not, do they have golf, marina, woods as backyard views. Are you particularly interested in GL for the private country club? If you are a golfer this is a draw - although it much more expensiver than Kingsmill. The club in Kingsmill is less $$ - partly due to the fact that it is semi-private so they have outside sources of income and the Busch family loves the place. multiple courses. IN GL you are required to belong to two Rivers at least as a social member. In Kingsmill no club membership is required. Boith neighborhoods have required HOA's - in kingsmill it is called KCSA (kingsmill community services association) and the dues are just over 100 mo - which includes the neighborhood pools and clubhouses (some in need of updating) the bike/walking trails, the ball fields, trash pickup, security, roads (the roads are private). In GL the HOA is called Governor's Land Foundation - is over 500/qtr. Includes park east pool, clubhouse and tennis courts, walking trails. the roads are public (you may have noticed the guard house - you do NOT have to stop, so know this it is technically not a gated community). Kingsmill has a few neighborhood parties each year - like the fall oyster roasts, July 4 picnic, etc. At GL these events are run by the Country Club - so cost more. Both have marinas and beach areas.

In short, boith neighborhoods are nice - GL has more at the top of the price range. Kingsmill on the "neighborhood" side a little more open and friendly.

Do you have children - what ages? Lots in both neighborhoods, kingsmill is where i would go if i had kids at home.

both communities are desirable, GL costs a little more per month to live in and required cc membership.

both go to good schools, have great people and lots of community activities.

Old 06-20-2007, 09:59 PM

213 posts, read 919,171 times
the housing market in gov land has been slow latley - the cc had some issues, recent assesment and the higher monthly living costs - required cc, hoa and outside trash, make people think twice. also, it is in transition - developed in 1993 it is turning over and still trying to keep its exclusive attitude - the private golf club. the new clubhouse will be finsihed in a few months - have you seen the plans and all the steel in the parking lot?

kingsmill has a much better tennis program, if that matters to you.

kingsmill market generally stronger than GL. I think both are fine markets, would be willing to pay top dollar in kingsmill - and would not buy in GL unless i did get a great price - lots on market now, although some have sold in just a few weeks recently. location in gL critical.

good luck - you have chosen a nice area.

Old 06-21-2007, 07:02 AM

41 posts, read 129,337 times
Thank you for your reply. My husband fell in love with GL but he will be traveling a lot and I will be alone with our 4 daughters (oldest is 11). I do not personally do golf or tennis but the kids are starting to play tennis and love going to the pool. The trails look very appealing for walking/biking and the river views are amazing. GL is mapped to a new public school which I was planning to do for the younger ones. The home looks to be in a very beautiful location - Moses Harper.

In Kingsmill I was looking at new construction by Joel Sheppard and a 6 BR home on the golf course. The new construction is a bit pricey but might be a better investment. I love the 6 BR but it is on the Plantation Course right on a Tee - not much privacy. I like the neighborhood feel of Kingsmill but not as crazy about the school.

I searched Ford's Colony high and low but could not come up with a home I liked as well as the 3 on my "short list". I'm running out of time now since my home recently sold here in NC. Wish me luck!

Nettie

Old 07-03-2007, 10:26 AM

17 posts, read 58,623 times
Default We took GovL off our short list for lack of kids

Not sure if it's true or not, but every time we drove through Gov's Land, there was no real evidence of children living there. Seemed to be several homes where grandkids came to play, and the ammenities for children are very nice. However, our two oldest are 12 & 13, so we felt it important to find a community where they would have more friends within walking distance and one where children are welcome. We did not get that feeling at Gov's Land.

Kingsmill ranked higher than Ford's Colony on our short list for many of the same reasons. We read the 2006 Strategic Plan for F.C. and noticed that all of the marketing efforts are being focused on the retired crowd. We heard no mention of anything that would benefit young professional families, not to mention we didn't find any properties we loved both the house and the lot or location.

We've actually decided to look into some of the smaller communities in Wburg now. As we started to do this a few weeks ago, we found that there were a lot of very nice homes, on nice lots, in great family-friendly neighborhoods. Prices in these neighborhoods are much more easily digested, though seem to be dropping just like everywhere else now. The differences are obvious - less hardiplank and brick, less granite and stone - but given the price differences, you could buy something there and afford to upgrade the items important to you - or even add on to the house if space were an issue. The ammeneties, though lovely, of the larger and gated communities, just don't make up for the prices sellers are asking for older homes that need a lot of work (in general) IMHO. I'm thinking we'll spend a little less, get a little less, and then buy something extra for recreation (travel, sailing, boating, vacation home) and enjoy my kids more!

Old 07-03-2007, 06:36 PM

5,288 posts, read 17,969,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2VA View Post

Kingsmill ranked higher than Ford's Colony on our short list for many of the same reasons. We read the 2006 Strategic Plan for F.C. and noticed that all of the marketing efforts are being focused on the retired crowd. We heard no mention of anything that would benefit young professional families, not to mention we didn't find any properties we loved both the house and the lot or location.
Not sure where your info come from - but this is an excerpt from the current issue of the Virginia Gazette on line:

JAMES CITY — A planned community known for luxurious homes is rolling out a new neighborhood to meet a bigger need: work force housing.

Later this year Ford’s Colony will file plans for a community of up to 260 homes. The neighborhood will be positioned on 17 of 60 acres on News Road opposite its gated parent. The homes will range from apartments and studio homes to townhouses and single-family homes of up to four bedrooms.

“We want to capture the younger community, the families just starting out,” said Drew Mulhare, vice president for Realtec, which manages Ford’s Colony. “We’re trying to change the conversation from ‘affordable’ to ‘work force’ housing. These are families with dual incomes: teachers, firefighters, police and the people who work in this community.”

The hope is to price half the homes under $200,000. That won’t be easy, given the value of the land, which is located inside the coveted Primary Service Area, where public water and sewerage is available.

The timing of the project could be its biggest asset since three of the five supervisors seats are on the ballot this year, all contested.

Old 07-05-2007, 07:20 AM

1,154 posts, read 3,436,479 times
Just as a point of reference here are the quantities of children who attend Public High School and Elementary School ( No Middle School numbers) in the following neighborhoods in James City County,/ Williamsburg, Va.. I can also give you the quantity of homes so that you can see the ratio per household of children. This does not include private school attendees. I believe these numbers are from 2005

Fords Colony 288
Stonehouse 74
Kingsmill 141
Powhattan Secondary 105
Governors Land 82
Windsor Forest 141
Greensprings West & Plantation 161

Old 07-26-2007, 09:32 AM

17 posts, read 58,623 times
[quote=Cattknap;999487]Not sure where your info come from - but this is an excerpt from the current issue of the Virginia Gazette on line:

“We want to capture the younger community, the families just starting out,” said Drew Mulhare, vice president for Realtec, which manages Ford’s Colony. “We’re trying to change the conversation from ‘affordable’ to ‘work force’ housing. These are families with dual incomes: teachers, firefighters, police and the people who work in this community.”

The hope is to price half the homes under $200,000. That won’t be easy, given the value of the land, which is located inside the coveted Primary Service Area, where public water and sewerage is available.

I've read the Gazette regularly, too, thanks. We're not looking for homes under 200K, and we're not dual income or a "family just starting out". We're middle aged professionals with high income and no debt. We're looking for a nice, but down to earth place to raise our children. I was simply pointing out in my earlier post that upon closer examination, it did not seem that many of these fine communities were indeed focused on marketing to families like ours. As I mentioned, the FC 2006 Strategic Plan makes it very clear that the main objective is to recruit and cater to retirees. Personally, I think RealTec is missing the boat on this one. With so many properties for sale, and the inventory continuing to rise daily, perhaps they should re-think this plan. Wouldn't it benefit your neighborhood to be more inviting to the not-quite-retired professionals and exectuives like ourselves who have the money to invest and would be quite happy to call home a place where they could first raise their now middle-school and high-school children and then continue to reside in the same community once they DO retire? Does FC (and other local communities) realize how many people in today's world choose to pursue careers, marry later in life and have children well into their late 30's, 40's and even 50's? Even when we do retire, many of us will still have children at home.

So, thanks for the input, but we're not in need of "affordable housing". We're just in need of a family oriented community where children are welcomed and not just tolerated at best.

Old 07-26-2007, 11:23 AM

5,288 posts, read 17,969,370 times
Wow, I guess I hit a nerve didn't I?

Old 08-07-2007, 05:28 PM

2 posts, read 6,850 times
My only wish is that I could be high income and no debt and not have to work! You're very lucky Good luck moving to Williamsburg...we love it here and hope we love Roanoke just as much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or