U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 11:23 AM

17 posts, read 104,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
What specifically would you like to know?
Well, two things at first and that is:

We are looking to simplify and don't want to move somewhere where home heating is a large expense - only a few months, perhaps, rather than at least half the year. But we do like mountain views, nature, and privacy.

It would be nice to get good BBQ now and then and have access to farmers markets with beef & dairy within an hour's drive.

There seem to be several log home manufacturers and a general interest in log construction in that area... Is that craft/industry strong in SW VA like it is in WV and TN?

And anything else you'd like to share. That would be great!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 04:58 PM

45,236 posts, read 97,036,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SueDenim View Post

We are looking to simplify and don't want to move somewhere where home heating is a large expense - only a few months, perhaps, rather than at least half the year. But we do like mountain views, nature, and privacy.

It would be nice to get good BBQ now and then and have access to farmers markets with beef & dairy within an hour's drive.

There seem to be several log home manufacturers and a general interest in log construction in that area... Is that craft/industry strong in SW VA like it is in WV and TN?

And anything else you'd like to share. That would be great!

I hear ya about wanting to "simplify" your life

Southwest Virginia is an awesome place to live. I would tell you to look at Carrol, Floyd and Patrick Counties in particular. Grayson County just west of Carroll is awesome too, but with their elevation they get more severe winter weather. (If you purchase a wood or pellet stove you can really cut heating costs and stay very warm and toasty.)

These are all rural farming counties, but because the Blue Ridge Parkway runs thru them all they do attract their fair share of tourists looking for a mountain getaway, along with people wanting to have second/vacation homes.

As far as good barbeque - look no further than the little town of Galax (Carroll County). It has two really good, awarding winning restaurants for you to check out:

The Galax Smokehouse, smoked pulled pork, Texas Beef Brisket and Ribs barbecue from Galax Virginia

Squealers Authentic BBQ - Your Smokin Hot BBQ Spot!

There are also farmers markets all around, some small - some larger. The biggest is right off the interstate (I77) in the town of Hillsville (Carroll County).

Southwest Virginia Farmers Market

Hope this helps!

Old 05-31-2011, 09:14 PM

17 posts, read 104,773 times
Wow, yes, that info helps so very much! And is also encouraging. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I hear ya about wanting to "simplify" your life

Southwest Virginia is an awesome place to live. I would tell you to look at Carrol, Floyd and Patrick Counties in particular. Grayson County just west of Carroll is awesome too, but with their elevation they get more severe winter weather. (If you purchase a wood or pellet stove you can really cut heating costs and stay very warm and toasty.)

These are all rural farming counties, but because the Blue Ridge Parkway runs thru them all they do attract their fair share of tourists looking for a mountain getaway, along with people wanting to have second/vacation homes.

As far as good barbeque - look no further than the little town of Galax (Carroll County). It has two really good, awarding winning restaurants for you to check out:

The Galax Smokehouse, smoked pulled pork, Texas Beef Brisket and Ribs barbecue from Galax Virginia

Squealers Authentic BBQ - Your Smokin Hot BBQ Spot!

There are also farmers markets all around, some small - some larger. The biggest is right off the interstate (I77) in the town of Hillsville (Carroll County).

Southwest Virginia Farmers Market

Hope this helps!

Old 06-01-2011, 08:07 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,097,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SueDenim View Post

We are looking to simplify and don't want to move somewhere where home heating is a large expense - only a few months, perhaps, rather than at least half the year.
Can't answer about log home construction in the area but here's a graph of temps for Floyd:

Average Weather for Floyd, VA - Temperature and Precipitation

Average overnight lows are below freezing for 5 months of the year.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:46 AM

45,236 posts, read 97,036,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
Can't answer about log home construction in the area but here's a graph of temps for Floyd:

Average Weather for Floyd, VA - Temperature and Precipitation

Average overnight lows are below freezing for 5 months of the year.
The good news is that the first and last month of winter when those temps do dip below freezing, the daytime temps at those times are usually still very pleasant and not below freezing

Old 03-03-2013, 06:37 PM

2 posts, read 5,947 times
I pulled up this older thread today after a Google search for something entirely different and having nothing else to do took a drive to Galax. Cabin fever, I had to take a drive. The food at The Galax Smokehouse is delicious ! there wasn't much going on in town as today is Sunday but I will definitely go back. nice antique market right outside of town as well.

Old 03-31-2013, 01:28 AM

29 posts, read 105,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I thought Virginia ended at the Eastern side of the Blue Ridge and just North of the James River. There's more?

That's what most people (including our Politicians in Richmond and Washington) seem to think also. Most of my out of State friends still think I live in WEST Virginia and love to send me jokes on Facebook referring to that fine State. Yes, Virginia- there is more of us than Northern and New River Valley. We are also no longer a bunch of moonshine making hillbilly's - even though we are bordered by TN, KY and NC. (all fine States themselves). This area (Abingdon in particular) is fast becoming a retirement area. There are still many areas betwixt and between ( from Blacksburg to Bristol) that have wonderful personalities and gorgeous scenery, waterfalls, campgrounds and History! Come see us!

Old 04-09-2013, 07:59 PM

9,882 posts, read 14,904,076 times
Tazewell and Buchanan Counties definitely felt VERY different than the rest of Virginia. I think they best fit people's imagination of West Virginia really. Though the places I've been to actually in West Virginia don't fit people's images.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:05 PM

9,882 posts, read 14,904,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRose59 View Post
That's what most people (including our Politicians in Richmond and Washington) seem to think also. Most of my out of State friends still think I live in WEST Virginia and love to send me jokes on Facebook referring to that fine State. Yes, Virginia- there is more of us than Northern and New River Valley. We are also no longer a bunch of moonshine making hillbilly's - even though we are bordered by TN, KY and NC. (all fine States themselves). This area (Abingdon in particular) is fast becoming a retirement area. There are still many areas betwixt and between ( from Blacksburg to Bristol) that have wonderful personalities and gorgeous scenery, waterfalls, campgrounds and History! Come see us!
So WV is not a fine state?

I recently visited Tazewell County and Buchanan County and the Bluefield area. VERY different, actually more stereotypical West Virginia (according to the media which I don't believe) than actual places I've visited in WV like Charleston, Morgantown, Fairmont and Charles Town.

Now I'm split whether Southwest Virginia is the most atypical part of the state vs NOVA. I guess Richmond, Roanoke, Lynchburg and Norfolk actually have more in common with NOVA than with Tazewell County.

Northern Virginia IS the source of most of the taxes and liberal laws being proposed though. I don't think southwest Virginia gets its fair share of the tax money they pay to the state. Too much of Virginia's statewide taxes is redistributed to Northern Virginia.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:45 PM

708 posts, read 1,105,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Tazewell and Buchanan Counties definitely felt VERY different than the rest of Virginia. I think they best fit people's imagination of West Virginia really. Though the places I've been to actually in West Virginia don't fit people's images.
The only difference between Tazewell, Buchanan, and Dickenson Counties in Va, Pike and Letcher Counties in Ky, and McDowell, Mingo, and Mercer Counties in WV is distance. I could feel at home in any of these places. SW Va, East Ky, and SWV pretty much have the same mentality and differences with other parts of their States as well.

Appalachian American for life
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia