U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2010, 08:53 AM

1,073 posts, read 1,220,968 times

Advertisements

I'll be getting married next summer and we were thinking of taking our honeymoon somewhere in Virginia. Where would be the best place to do so?

Details:

- We want a blend of relaxation and activity. She's never seen D.C. and wants to check out museums and the traditional stuff. But we'd also like to be around some beautiful landscapes and traditional honeymoon relaxation. Someplace historic would be nice, too.

We're also not the wine type, as I've seen ads for wineries and what not on every honeymoon site for Virginia. Is there any place that would seem to fit these broad criteria?

Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2010, 08:51 AM

3,886 posts, read 5,336,934 times
Well, since no one has answered -- pick a large luxury hotel in DC -- Marriott, Ritz Carleton, etc., if you want to go really big, Blair House.

But if you want beautiful landscapes, I don't think you'll find that in the city.

Have you considered one of the very nice (but also expensive) resorts in Virginia?

They all over golf, tennis, swimming, sensational dining -- plus:

The Homestead has a world reknown spa, skiing, horse drawn carriage rides through the woods, falconery, skeet shooting.

The Williamsburg Inn has the historic district to explore, lovely restaurants, shopping as well as the golf, tennis, swimming.

The Tides Inn has golf, tennis, a salt water pool as well as a beach. They offer scenic boat rides down the river to the Cheaspeake.

Best wishes.

Old 09-04-2010, 04:44 PM

384 posts, read 899,581 times
Well, you may want to try the Inn at Little Washington in Washington, VA for a few days then stay in DC. Most of the B&Bs are far away from downtown DC. For your honeymoon, the Mandarin Oriental in DC would be very nice.

Old 09-06-2010, 07:44 AM

2,031 posts, read 6,126,335 times
DC would be my first suggestion if you want to sightsee. There are many historic areas to check out in that area. Remember getting into DC by car can be a challenge these days so combining a quiet retreat with a busy City can be difficult. If you have time to spend I might suggest Big Meadows Lodge in the Shenandoah National Park off the Blue Ridge Parkway. It does not cater to the "wine crowd" and it is peaceful escape. The trek to DC is not too bad. Also, Massanutten Resort, east of Harrisonburg is very nice. Good Luck!

Old 09-07-2010, 09:12 AM

4,489 posts, read 9,555,817 times
What about Old Town Alexandria? There's got to be some sort of B&B or hotel with pretty views of the Potomac. It's full of restaurants and pedestrians in the evening, and you could take a dinner cruise of the Potomac from there. A short metro ride would have you in the heart of DC. You could do a day at Mount Vernon, and several days in downtown.

I don't think anywhere in DC/NoVA is "relaxing". It's all fast paced and busy, especially with all the tourists in the summer. There's plenty to do, but I think for a honeymoon I'd want something less hurried. Depends on your tastes though.

Old 09-11-2010, 07:18 AM

358 posts, read 660,082 times
I agree with the Inn at Little Washington. I saw a show about it on the Travel Channel a couple of years ago, WOW! It's about 1 to 1&1/2 hours into downtown DC from there. Not sure about the "activity" there but it is in a quiet area near the mountains. If you really want DC you should probably look in DC it's self and save yourself the traffic, parking, and paying for parking headache. There is a lot of three hour free parking on most major streets in DC but you have to be gone by 4 pm for rush hour M-F. Saturday you still have to pay most places, Sundays ALMOST everything on the street is free parking. Most public lots are $10 to $16 for all day parking. Also, if you you have your heart set on DC museums it can take up to 3 hours to get through some of them. You may need to look very close to DC if this important to you both.

PS: congratulations

Last edited by emsman; 09-11-2010 at 07:26 AM.. Reason: more info added

Old 09-12-2010, 10:34 AM

14,131 posts, read 27,018,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
What about Old Town Alexandria? There's got to be some sort of B&B or hotel with pretty views of the Potomac. It's full of restaurants and pedestrians in the evening, and you could take a dinner cruise of the Potomac from there. A short metro ride would have you in the heart of DC. You could do a day at Mount Vernon, and several days in downtown.
You can rent my house for a week. No view of it but close the Potomac and I make a great breakfast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia