U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2010, 12:33 PM

33 posts, read 59,501 times

Advertisements

My wife and I would like to retire in Va. I would like to build on some acreage near state/Nat parks, but cant be too far from modern facilities (like a mall-for my wife). I was thinking the Winchester area but would love to hear from folks who know better. My budget would be approx 300k for land and home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2010, 02:49 PM

30,126 posts, read 67,240,082 times
Not to just be a "yes man", but Winchester indeed sounds like the perfect fit. The city proper has a nice historic downtown walking mall with mom-and-pop stores and restaurants, and just outside of town there is the Apple Blossom Mall and all of your typical big-box stores, chain restaurants, etc. The town is sophisticated enough to have courted Starbuck's (with Best Buy also on the way), but it is still laid-back enough where everyone seems to know everyone through someone they know.

For the lifestyle you seek I would check out the Shawneeland or Wilde Acres sections of Frederick County, which are about 25 minutes and 20 minutes, respectively, outside the city proper of Winchester tucked up in the mountains. Frederick County surrounds the city of Winchester, and it is here where you will find the land you seek. You can do very well in this area with a budget of $300,000. More people are moving into Winchester and the eastern sides of Frederick County (near Berryville and Clarke County) to power-commute into the Northern Virginia employment hubs, but Winchester itself and the west side of town should remain pretty tranquil for years to come.

Old 09-04-2010, 02:51 PM

This thread may prove helpful, too:

Shawneeland Subd.

Old 09-06-2010, 01:23 PM

33 posts, read 59,501 times
Thank you so much for helping!

Old 09-07-2010, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEZMAN View Post
Thank you so much for helping!
You're quite welcome. I'd look into the western or southern areas of town (maybe even Gore, VA). I feel as if anything to the east could eventually fall victim to more development. Clarke County, just to the east of Frederick County/Winchester, is very nice as well, and the county seat of Berryville is one of those charming little "Mayberry" towns. Fauquier County is where the elite from DC come out to "play" on the weekends at the wineries, horse polo fields, upscale boutiques of Middleburg, etc., so $300,000 might not go far here.

Old 09-08-2010, 01:51 PM

25 posts, read 33,023 times
Think about the corridor between Lexington and Staunton. Beautiful area with fairly low cost of living. Lexington is a beautiful college town with a great Newcomer's club.There's a small mall in Staunton and Charlottesville is less than an hour away from either place. Shopping is great in Charlottesville, but cost of living is higher than in other 2 towns and traffic has gotten bad! Great place to visit though.

Old 09-09-2010, 09:56 PM

2,380 posts, read 3,864,540 times
I don't know how far from a mall you want to be, but I am seeing 3-5 acre (or more!) lots up and down the I-81 corridor, from Gore on down to Bristol. I have family in Winchester/Front Royal, so I am quite biased.

If you like Charlottesville for the presence of The University, consider areas in Nelson County. Also consider on down Route 29 through Lynchburg.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or