Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 10:50 AM

14 posts, read 70,222 times

Advertisements

We're going to be moving to Galax, VA from New York in about two weeks. If I read correctly somewhere (I don't know where) Galax is an independent city, not in any county.

What exactly does this mean and how is it different from a regular city? Is the only difference that it isn't in a county?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2007, 11:05 AM

2,639 posts, read 3,224,009 times
I just returned a week or so ago from visiting Galax. I really liked it and the surrounding areas and would love to live anywhere within a 50 mile radius of said city going north, west, or east.

I'm not sure what an independent city means but I do know that Galax (pronounced Gay-lax which I didn't know) is in both Grayson and Carroll counties.

Be sure to visit their most lovely Public Library. It's fantastic and the people there are so friendly and helpful to me.

You're lucky; I wish I were in your shoes.

Old 06-29-2007, 11:06 AM

414 posts, read 2,280,680 times
What brings you down to Galax? Not a damn thing there, if you already didn't know!! Good Luck!

Old 06-29-2007, 11:16 AM

My husband and I have been interested in moving to Virginia for a few years now, we didn't have any specific city in mind. I found a job in my field (social work) in Hillsville. Galax is simply where we were able to find a home on short notice in the area. We've both been to the area and like the feel of it. We're in a small town in NY, so we're used to not having much around.

Old 06-29-2007, 11:39 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lori52204 View Post
My husband and I have been interested in moving to Virginia for a few years now, we didn't have any specific city in mind. I found a job in my field (social work) in Hillsville. Galax is simply where we were able to find a home on short notice in the area. We've both been to the area and like the feel of it. We're in a small town in NY, so we're used to not having much around.
I love the Hillsville/Galax area! Great people there

Old 06-29-2007, 11:55 AM

2,639 posts, read 3,224,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seldomseen View Post
What brings you down to Galax? Not a damn thing there, if you already didn't know!! Good Luck!

It's a great place and if I could, I'd leave Texas and move tomorrow. I'd love to live somewhere on the outskirts of Galax away from the city. I loved the little downtown area too. People were delightful.

A few things that I found there that I liked very well were beauty, lovely weather, and tranquility, the simple and important things in life.

Old 06-30-2007, 07:25 PM

We will be on the outskirts of Galax in a fairly secluded area, according to my husband...I haven't seen the house or exact area we'll be in other than photos he took while doen there a few days ago. We both feel really comfortable in the area and all the people we've had contact with were quite nice/friendly. Everything we've seen around SW Virginia is so beautiful and being away from all the snow we get up here will be great! These next two weeks can't go fast enough!

Old 06-30-2007, 09:11 PM

1,341 posts, read 6,189,119 times
Oh, you'll get snow in Galax Not nearly as much as you get in New York (I'm from Vermont) but we live south of Roanoke and during the school year, when Roanoke will get a wee bit of freezing rain or a little snow, Galax will get pasted and the Galax schools will get a snow day. Of course, being from New York you'll wonder what all the fuss is about since you can get around just fine

And BTW, an independent city is nothing special. It is just it's own entity and instead of county taxes you'll pay (higher) city taxes, and go to city schools instead of county schools, etc.

Sean

Old 07-01-2007, 09:59 AM

I know there will be some snow - I read that like 19" is the average in the Galax/Hillsville area. That's a huge difference from what we're used to up here - lake effect snow from late September to mid April usually a couple inches a day. I hate snow, but I think I would miss never seeing snow, so a foot and a half a year is a nice comprimise, IMO.

Thanks for the independent city info, I didn't think it was anything major but it was something I never heard of before looking at Virginia.

We are hoping to be out of Galax before our son (21 months old) starts school. I saw that there are several sex offenders right by the elementary school and that's something I'm not really comfortable with. We'll stay in the Hillsville area, of course, but probably not in Galax.

Old 07-03-2007, 03:44 AM

23 posts, read 94,781 times
If memory serves, most cities in Virginia are independent of their surrounding counties. It's mostly a bureaucratic distinction.

From Wikipedia:
Quote:
Of the 42 independent cities in the United States[1], 39 are in Virginia. The three that are not in Virginia are Baltimore, Maryland, St. Louis, Missouri and Carson City, Nevada.

In the Commonwealth of Virginia, all municipalities incorporated as "cities" have also been "independent cities," also called "free cities," since 1871. Other municipalities, even though they may be more populous than some existing independent cities, are incorporated as "towns", and as such form part of a county. An independent city in Virginia may serve as the county seat of an adjacent county, even though the city by definition is not part of that county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia