U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 07:50 PM

28 posts, read 141,884 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Does anyone have any advice on living in Petersburg? We are moving there and are totally unsure of where to stay in the city. Can anyone help?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2006, 03:52 AM

2,179 posts, read 6,614,239 times
i wouldnt live in petersburg period! try colonial heights or hopewell...trust me on this one!!!

Old 08-15-2006, 06:16 AM

1,288 posts, read 2,233,294 times
Petersburg is fine if you are a drug dealer, gangbanger, or somewhere in the pimp/ho relationship. htlong speaks truth.

Old 08-15-2006, 08:45 AM

146 posts, read 767,645 times
Default Military?

If you're in the military or know someone who is, get in touch with someone who has been stationed at Ft. Lee. They will know the good areas.

Old 08-15-2006, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htlong
i wouldnt live in petersburg period! try colonial heights or hopewell...trust me on this one!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electron
Petersburg is fine if you are a drug dealer, gangbanger, or somewhere in the pimp/ho relationship. htlong speaks truth.
Woah, what an almost unanimous reaction here! But the horrendous thing is, I've got employment there!! May i know what is the crime rate in Petersburg? And would you work there?

Old 08-16-2006, 06:55 AM

72 posts, read 272,524 times
Default I live in Petersburg, I love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenb View Post
Hello,

Does anyone have any advice on living in Petersburg? We are moving there and are totally unsure of where to stay in the city. Can anyone help?

Thanks!
I just joined this forum because I saw your post and all the negative responses. We moved to Petersburg 3 yrs ago from Richmond, got a great house for way less money than Richmond. Walnut Hill is a nice residential area with sidewalks, library in walking distance. The area is really showing a lot of growth just in the last 3 yrs. There is a big arts community and lots of beautiful historic homes and historic districts.

What is not so great about it is that property tax rates are higher, but generally assessed values are lower.

Worst of all is the public schools which are quite bad. We have two children, one just finished kindergarten. We send him to a private school that we love. The tuition is not all that much- about 3200 per year. He wears uniforms, has amazingly small class size, it feels like a real community that I know we would never get in any public school no matter how good it is. There are quite a few private schools in the area.

Petersburg is a poor town, there are many very poor, uneducated people. But there are also lots of people there who see the beauty and potential of it, mostly artistic types who love old buildings. From April thru Oct on Sat mornings there is a farmers market in Old Town, great produce, cheap. A few farmer types playing awesome bluegrass music. There is a lot of renovating going on, people buying up houses that have been neglected and selling them.

Anyway, I think the areas to live in depend on what you are looking for, but Walnut Hill is nice and residential.

I would not move to Colonial Heights unless I was into NASCAR, it's kind of necky. I don't think Hopewell has enough of anything that's interesting.

Please let me know if I can help you with any other information. I'd be glad to help.

Old 08-16-2006, 09:29 AM

2,179 posts, read 6,614,239 times
the richmon/petersburg crime statistics rates it at a 4 on a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the worst.

Old 02-09-2007, 11:55 PM

2 posts, read 19,411 times
Cool Walnut Hill is considered the best part of Petersburg

I agree with previous post about Walnut Hill being a decent area. I too was advised to move to Petersburg over Richmond, which just ranked #5 ? on the list of cities with the most murders in the U.S.!! I am in the process of leaving Petersburg because of the poor school system and lack of support for new businesses. I just relocated my real estate agency there but it's hard to attract realtors in Petersburg because of the overall crime rate outside of Walnut Hill. Petersburg is a great starter, but do your research. It is better to rent in Petersburg, the tax rate for homeowners is ridiculously high for such a low-income area. Hopewell has a large majority of rental properties and Colonial Heights is very pricey. May I also suggest Dinwiddie, Matoaca and Prince George, 3 areas just outside of Petersburg.

Last edited by Jammie; 02-16-2007 at 07:24 AM.. Reason: edited out ad

Old 02-11-2007, 03:28 PM

4 posts, read 23,726 times
Default Love Petersburg

Hi -

We live and operate a store in Old Towne. We love it here and enjoy the many excellent restaurants, Sycamore Rouge theater, etc. There are some nice unique stores and lots of antiques shops. Most every weekend you can find live music down here somewhere.

We do not have school-age kids. If we did, we would not live here. The school system is struggling, as you have read.

Regarding SAFETY - we feel very safe here. We have excellent police patrol coverage in Old Towne and as long as you take normal safety precautions, you will be fine.

This is an exciting town with property undervalued compared to Richmond. Walnut Hill is nice, High Street is a renovated area with great homes, South Street Lofts are apartment/condo homes in a renovated building and High Street Lofts are condos/townhouses in part of the old Seward Luggage Factory, which is being renovated.

I guess you are settled in the area by now. Where did you end up?

Old 03-10-2007, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polishpotterygal View Post
Hi -

I guess you are settled in the area by now. Where did you end up?
Right! I am settled in Petersburg by now. I ended up in the Walnut hill area. But this place is lacking recreation facilities, imo. Can't find a place to run or shoot some hoops
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia