Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 05:59 PM

3 posts, read 6,381 times

Advertisements

My wife just accepted a job in the Fort Belvoir area and we are looking to relocate there in a few months.

We previously lived in Athens, GA and loved the farmers markets, farm land, hipster style, small city, local bars, dog happy hours (you know what I mean if you know what I mean :-P), and green atmosphere.

While I dont expect farm land in VA near DC, I am hopeful in finding some locations which offer some of the stuff my wife and I loved in Athens. I am well aware of Del Ray but Del Ray is SO expensive and seems too crowded. I would love somewhere like Del Ray, is there anything else out there within 45 minutes of Fort Belvoir... something that is on its way to Del Ray but not quite so known?

We will probably rent for a few years and then buy a home once we really know the area and understand the cool places to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2010, 07:16 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
As hip but cheaper than Del Ray? Nothing comes to mind anywhere near Fort Belvoir. Athens is a college town. You won't find anything like that here. If it's cool, it's expensive. Otherwise it's chains and lowbrow everything else for the masses.

Old 09-15-2010, 07:38 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,513,808 times
There *might* be parts of downtown Fredericksburg worth a look, but the commute will be lengthy.

Occuquan might have some charm for you, but I understand it gets pretty pricey there.

Parts of Vienna or Fairfax City *may* have enough charm for you, but be prepared to cough up $300k for a townhouse and $500k for a SFH even there.

Old 09-15-2010, 12:18 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,226,528 times
Fredericksburg popped into my head as well, and the commute would probably be awful.

The city of Alexandria (including Del Ray) has farmers markets, local bars, dog happy hours (at least they did, not certain if there are still establishments doing this) and plenty of people of a liberal bent with environmental concerns. But not hipster. Although the politics are liberal, their outward appearance and self-expression is rather conservative, middle of the road. People with piercings and tats stand out (if you see them at all). Fixie sightings have only recently been reported It's not Portland or SF. It's people with knit Polos and top-siders.*

I've often said Del Ray needs more funkiness. Old Town has none that I know of, if it's not a restaurant, it's an antique store*. But then, you said you feel Alexandria is too crowded. Take a look at Fredericksburg and maybe there are decent commuting options.

*a generalization, partly-true.

Old 09-15-2010, 12:34 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
I have to agree with the others that the progressively hip quotient is in short supply in Northern Virginia. I thought of the aforementioned areas myself while reading the original post. You may do better to pinpoint some neighborhoods within your budget that are close to Fort Belvoir - as traffic is a nightmare here - and enjoy the relative proximity of Del Ray, Old Town Alexandria* and Occoquan each being a short drive away.

*Yes, dogs are still a welcome sight on the patios of many Old Town restaurants. Jackson 20 at the Hotel Monaco in particular has a weekly dog happy hour.

Old 09-15-2010, 02:23 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,311,022 times
How about some of the neighborhoods near Old Town Manassas? I don't know how long it would take to get to Belvoir from there, but I always thought some of the houses (to the north I believe?) in some neighborhoods that were walkable to downtown were pretty nice with great lots.

Old 09-15-2010, 02:53 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,226,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Yes, dogs are still a welcome sight on the patios of many Old Town restaurants. Jackson 20 at the Hotel Monaco in particular has a weekly dog happy hour.
Ah, so they are continuing this from the days of the Holiday Inn. That's cool, I didn't know if they did it with Monaco. I stopped there once a few years ago, without a dog, for an outdoor drink and was surrounded by friendly dogs. A great idea.

Old 09-15-2010, 07:53 PM

3 posts, read 6,381 times
Good info, but it seems the more I research the more I realize that NoVA isnt that cool of a place to live.

Old 09-15-2010, 08:05 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liebertron View Post
Good info, but it seems the more I research the more I realize that NoVA isnt that cool of a place to live.
One of the most astute statements I've ever read on here. C-D (and whatever else you've been reading) just saved you several months or years of disappointment.

I live just up the road from Fort Belvoir and would be open to starting an aging hippie commune on my back property. If only we didn't have those "squaresville" zoning ordinances.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:45 PM

894 posts, read 2,314,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liebertron View Post
Well it is the suburbs after all. I haven't found many cool suburbs either anywhere. The cool places are in DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia